82 CJ7 Carb - JeepForum.com
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 Old 05-31-2020, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Jeffncs

Garage
82 CJ7 Carb

I rebuilt my stock carb, but really not happy with its performance and Iím considering buying a replacement....

My current carb has the plug on the rear for something to plug into it...nothing is connected. If I replace it, can I just buy a plain old 2 barrel carb without that plug? Any reason itís there? Thinking itís not connected now and I could swap over to a standard electric choke.

I want Something simple and reliable that works better than the one I have now...

Professional Knucklehead
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 05-31-2020, 12:20 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

the best thing is to probably do the nutter bypass and then install a weber 38 or a motorcraft 2100. both are good carbs for the 258. i like the weber but its a person preference. if you go with weber its alot easier to tune a 38 to run on the jeep then the 32/36. also make sure you buy a redline weber. its actually a Spanish made carb instead of china.

oldschool
post #3 of 47 Old 05-31-2020, 01:19 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The fact that the stepper motor on the OPís carb isnít connected suggests the engine has already been Nuttered.

I also recommend the Weber 38 for the replacement. Call Tom at Redline. Heíll take care of you.

Matt
uptillnow and JeepRonibo like this.

post #4 of 47 Old 05-31-2020, 02:02 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
matt i agree about calling tom at redline. when i bought the 7 i have now about 2 years ago it had a china made weber 38. ran like crap and couldnt get to tune. i called tom at redline and found mine was a clone cause it had weber stickers instead of weber cast in the cover. so ordered a real weber. he gave me a great price and shipped quickly. i also bought the jet kit. didnt need it but wanted on hand if i did need it. had running and tuned very quickly. one thing i also noticed is that when people have any issues that the guys at redline give great customer support.

oldschool
uptillnow and JeepRonibo like this.
post #5 of 47 Old 05-31-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Jeffncs

Garage
I’ll give Tom a call tomorrow. Any idea what I’ll pay for a ready to run Weber?

Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Professional Knucklehead
post #6 of 47 Old 05-31-2020, 06:10 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i believe i actually paid less then what quadratec was selling it for. unfor i cant remember the price because that was about 2 years ago. you still have to do a little tuning but mostly just the idle mixture. the hardest part of tuning is making sure you dont have vacuum leaks. if your engine runs right now but not well i would spray some brake wash around the intake while the engine is running. the brake wash normally doesnt burn in the engine. so if you have a vacuum leak it will all of a sudden bog down once you are spraying around the area leaking while the engine is running. because no carb will run good if you have a intake leak.

oldschool
post #7 of 47 Old 05-31-2020, 11:02 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

A working BBD is fine on this engine, but nothing beats a shiny Gucci piece of kit like the Weber 38. I have the 38DGMS as I prefer a manual choke and the ones I have installed have been simple and quick and a joy to run.

The Redline filter they send is a piece of automotive crapness, but they can supply an adapter for you to retain the original TAC (a good choice) or a remote filter cap so you can duct in air from a remote filter or snorkel.

I have a modern Donaldson 7" two stage filter in my Willys (all early Willys had a remote filter on the bulkhead, but an oil bath 7") that I would love to have in a CJ7 with ducting to a Weber 38.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 47 Old 06-01-2020, 05:46 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The "genuine" Weber 38 is a good choice but you can also bolt on an original Carter BBD two barrel from early years up to 1981. These are especially good if you can find an NOS one on eBay that are sold every now and then. I have a 1980 version Carter BBD on my 84 model that was 100% bolt on. Nice that you can retain original air cleaner assembly without any modifications to make fit. With a Weber 38, you will need to raise the OEM air cleaner 1" with spacers.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1769.jpg  
pedal2themetai likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #9 of 47 Old 06-01-2020, 07:42 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI
Can you post some pictures of your set up?? The whole motor, the carb and such, they don't really need to be close up just clear pictures. Most of the time all carbs well have the same ports.. usually the port on the back might be for the brake booster or it could be hooked to the intake also it could be for the PCV valve.. It would help us help you with some pictures..
In My opinion changing to a Weber or the 2100 an cause more problems, your going to need adapters linkages , change filters and rooting of some connections to the air filter housing (like the fresh air tube for the PCV.).
Rebuilding a carb does not give it more performance just makes it work better or more normal IF ITS IS ADJUST RIGHT, properly..
Pictures well help us better help you.. With it having a plugged port there may be other problems causing what problems you are having..

Good luck
tim
post #10 of 47 Old 06-01-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Jeffncs

Garage
@pedal2themetal

Here are some pics from different angles. Iím not married to the stock air filter housing. I also have most of those lines d/cíd as theyíre all but useless on my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
EF1CF15F-221C-4EF6-936D-371E11E553C9.jpg   95F23029-A770-4E75-95EA-36C46F652BB5.jpg   B42B03DE-4D06-453A-AB0D-C9C370E072E6.jpg   959B7D95-1AED-46A9-B983-70C5319D35CD.jpg   6D103FD8-8A8D-4921-8E08-013EA756B024.jpg  

Professional Knucklehead
post #11 of 47 Old 06-01-2020, 10:21 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Get your fuel filter oriented correctly. The return line to the tank should be in the 12 o-clock position.

Also, you need to get your PCV system hooked up.

The stock air cleaner assembly is superior to any aftermarket "open" filter designs. I highly recommend you keep it.

Matt
keith460 and pedal2themetai like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 47 Old 06-01-2020, 11:15 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI couldn't see what was plugged up on your carb?
But Yes hook up your PCV valve (its the one in the first picture with the bolt in it..) The little line comes from the Charcoal canister and the big line goes to the base of the carb or the intake. It needs to have manifold vacuum to pull out internal gasses .. with it plugged up/off it can cause the motor to run bad and push out gaskets and oil with the internal pressures. the hose at the back of the valve cover goes to the air cleaner so the PCV and draw in clean fresh air OR have a filtered type of cap. The PCV does NOT hurt performance when working but can hurt performance if it is plugged up because of internal pressures.
You mentioned an electric choke you already have one on their.. but if the motor is cold in that picture the choke is NOT set properly so its not functioning and would cause hard cold starting/running.. with the motor cold the choke should be closed or go closed when you touch the throttle. Carb motor need the choke set when cold ( they are not like EFI set up which is operated by a computer..) So you need to push the throttle once or twice to set the choke AND to add some fuel for it to start cold.. (some people don't know that)..
If you need it Matt I'm sure well have a vacuum layout diagram he can post for you.

good luck
tim
post #13 of 47 Old 06-01-2020, 11:25 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI Again
Where are the fuel mixture screws ?? aren't they supposed to be in those two holes under where the fuel line is a the front of the carb?? next to last picture.
good luck
tim
post #14 of 47 Old 06-01-2020, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Jeffncs

Garage
I’ll reset the vent lines and various vacuum lines. I’ll also correct the fuel filter orientation.

The adjustment screws are just recessed into the housing. They’re there, just can’t see them.

Called Redline today about a Weber 38. Considering all options if I can’t get this carb running better.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Professional Knucklehead
post #15 of 47 Old 06-01-2020, 03:13 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI the mixture screws should be at least 1 1/2 turns out each.. then fine adjust from there.. Never really not seen the screws sticking out of the base plate? are the springs on them??
good luck
tim
see link and you can see one of the mixture screws with the spring on it.

https://contentinfo.autozone.com/zne...4NEW/image/10/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in