'82 Alternator and Coil Resistance Wires? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-27-2021, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

'82 Alternator and Coil Resistance Wires?

1982 CJ5, 258 that I'm in the middle of sorting through a mess of an electrical system and generally trying to bring back to life. As I was hacking away at my wiring harness and staring at the wiring diagram in my TSM, I noticed two resistance wires in the diagram.

The 1.35 (ohm?) 20ga Red w/tracer, that is supposed go to the coil (from the power to the IGN Control it looks like) was not there. In it's place was a 14ga red, which I see now is clearly not original, and that I reran as it was. II've read on posts here (Thanks JEEPFELLER, helpful pic) that I DO need that resistance to drop voltage during normal operation. Seems I need to fix that circuit. A ballast resistor of some sort (1ohm - 1.5ohm or so) is the best way to do that? Pretty sure it's factory distributor setup, but I'm just guessing, so I'll add a pic that might help.

From the Alternator, I have a small brown wire that was spliced into the 14ga Red w/tracer that feeds the Idle Speed Control (my control box is there, but the actual system for the vacuum control is not), the plug Control Vacuum Solenoid, as well as heading back to the fuse block. A lot of that wiring that the brown wire was tied into has been messed with over the years, and I'm messing with it more while trying to not screw it up too much.

From what I understand, that brown wire just needs to be tied into any Key On power though? I THINK it's the original 24ga Brown wire, sure looks like it. Diagram labels it as (RESISTANCE 15.0A)? It's a fairly long wire, and if it's to offer any resistance, I'd assume I need to maintain that length?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-28-2021, 05:18 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You could buy a ballast resistor and splice it into that wire going to the ignition coil but check to make sure that wire is not a resistance wire.
Simply turn the key ON and measure the voltage at the coil. if it reads 12 volts then you need a ballast resistor, if it reads around 9 volts then you don't need a ballast resistor.

Most resistance wire are ohms/inch so I assume you would need to keep it the right length however there is no reason you can't add additional length with common wire any length you need after getting the right length for the proper resistance.
This sounds like what the have done. originally. I would have to check m harness to be sure. Maybe they only needed a couple of inches
JEEPFELLER and Girth83 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in