Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

81 CJ CA Emissions Help

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Bob95065 
#1 ·
I bought a Jeep in Texas and am trying to get it approved for emissions in CA and got a checklist from the shop of things I need in order to pass. I have the original I6 258/4.2L but installed an HEI distributor instead of running the original setup. What I'm really struggling with is what the EGR valve connects to. In a diagram I found on AutoZone.com shows it connecting to the "EGR TVS" which then in turn connects to the "EGR CTO Valve" both of which I have no idea where those are.. I was hoping someone with CJ newer than 1980 has passed emissions with the I6 and has pictures they could share of how it all connects or can give me any tips. Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
https://gleebledorf.com/

The site above will help you if your running all the stock stuff. Explains everything and is a really good resource.

That being said, I don't think there is an C.A.R.B. approved HEI. Lots of us in CA run them, but it can be hit and miss trying to get it smogged. I've personally never had anyone question mine, but ymmv.

I'm sure you're aware, but if not the easiest way to get pass the smog nazi's in CA is to run the Howell TBI...only C.A.R.B approved one around anymore that is still in production. I used to pass smog with my stock Carter but I always had my Jeep mechanic tune it all up and go through it before I'd ever bring it to a smog shop. After he moved to Montana (cause he was sick of CA) getting it tuned was a pain. One crack in a vacuum hose can cause you to fail lol...no fun at all.

#4 ·
I am going through this now. I have a 1980 CJ7 that I bought non op. I'm getting it ready for the smog test. My plan is to smog it with the carb then Drive if for a while to see what needs to be repaired on it. Eventually I'll convert it to a Howell TBI but I'll have to crush a bunch of cans to afford it.

I would start with the Factory Service Manual FSM. You can find a 1981 FSM here: https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html

Just Friday I plumbed all my emissions equipment. Along the way most of it was bypassed. I'll post some pictures later today.

The CTO is mounted in the block below the intake and exhaust manifolds. The TVS s in the air filter housing. My Jeep has two. I looked for replacements and found they are NLA. Mine work I hope yours does too.

I replaced my ignition with an MSD box, distributor and coil which raised reliability and power and reduced wiring complexity. I found the MSD parts used. The PO eliminated the vacuum advance. I have a replacement on the way and once it's here and installed I'll be ready for smog.

#5 ·
Ok. I took some pictures today.

I have a 1980 CJ7 with thec258 6 cylinder engine. I took the carburetor put today to work on the choke. I snapped some pictures for you while I was in there.

These pictures are of the TVSs in the air cleaner. They are the two small black discs with 2 vacuum lines each.

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system Rim

My Jeep has two CTO valves that screw into the bkock on the left side below the manifolds. They are much easier to see with the air cleaner removed.

Front CTO:
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

Rear CTO:

Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Bumper Wood

They have vacuum hoses attached to them.

Front: https://www.carid.com/standard/ported-vacuum-switch-mpn-pvs71.html

Rear: https://www.carid.com/standard/ported-vacuum-switch-mpn-pvs14.html

I bought replacements for my Jeep from Rockauto but it's hard to paste links from there from my phone.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info or photos.

#6 · (Edited)
My Jeep is much simpler that yours emissions wise. After looking at manuals from 1980 to 1986 to try and figure out wiring issues I found that someone put a harness from 1983 to 1986 on my 1980 Jeep. In the corse of reading the manuals it seems like the complexity of emissions components jumped in 1980 and rose steadily to 1986. Yours has more stuff than mine but less than later years. It isn't that bad if you follow each line methodically and restore the engine to the configuration in the FSM drawing.

#7 ·
I think those older manuals back in the 1800's even included how much oats to feed a Jeep back then, when shoes were needed or not, how to halter break them......interesting reading for sure :)
My Jeep is much simpler that yours emissions wise. After looking at manuals from 1980 to 1896

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.