25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 132 Old 04-16-2020, 05:54 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabatuckian View Post
Hello,

You're in Columbus, Indiana? When all this COVID-19 stuff is done, I might find time to make a drive south if you've not gotten it to start yet.

Regards,
Josh
This why folks should completely fill out their profiles with not only Jeep info but also personal. There are many members like Josh who will take the time to help with a problem if they know you live across town or down the road.

Wabatuckian and Mister4x4 like this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 132 Old 04-16-2020, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
LHFarm

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister4x4 View Post
Hey, you're absolutely welcome. Times like this, I wish I could be standing right there with ya scratchin' my head as well.

My buddy Jim (met him when he was a parts guy at NAPA) used to always say, "'New' doesn't mean 'Good,' it just means 'New.'"

When we were working on mine setting up the MC2100, the hard line fitting on the top of the original pump cracked when he was 'adjusting' it, so he grabbed a Precision OEM-style mechanical pump from O'Reilly Auto Parts - it's worked like a champ since 2002. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...jeep/cj7?pos=3
Hope this helps.
This has been a long running father/son project. Evan, my son has a high-tech job that is classified as essential. "Wrench-turning" is one of his stress release methods. I know it is driving him crazy that he can't be in on this. I know he does appreciate all the help we are getting too.

I've ordered the pump and should have it in a day or two.

Have ordered the pump and will pick it up in the next couple of days.

Barry
Lawson Hill Farm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 132 Old 04-16-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
LHFarm

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Hello,

You're in Columbus, Indiana? When all this COVID-19 stuff is done, I might find time to make a drive south if you've not gotten it to start yet.

Regards,
Josh
I am south and west of Columbus, IN That is a most generous offer. I've not spent much time on this forum, but I'm extremely impressed by the generosity and support of the folks here.

I keep hoping that it is something simple. Hope is always good.
Wabatuckian likes this.

Barry
Lawson Hill Farm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 132 Old 04-16-2020, 09:00 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

HEI's have been known to burn through the rotor and will spark to the distributor drive shaft instead of the plugs.

Look under distributor cap for signs of carbon tracing.

how about a picture of the passenger side of the engine.
Wabatuckian likes this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #35 of 132 Old 04-17-2020, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
LHFarm

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
HEI's have been known to burn through the rotor and will spark to the distributor drive shaft instead of the plugs.

Look under distributor cap for signs of carbon tracing.

how about a picture of the passenger side of the engine.
I'm waiting on the fuel pump, so thought I start reviewing the HEI. I've attached pictures of the left side of the engine. Maybe I should have been suspicious when the guy had block painted purple for his daughter.

The cap and rotor show no signs of wear or arching. Since it was new out of the box, I don't expect there would be any marks, unless the cap was defective.

I have been trying to read up on HEI systems, since this is new to me. I am using Autolite AP985 plugs, with a 034 gap. I've read a few posts that push for a wider gap, as much as 050. Should I change to a different plug or increase the gap?
Attached Thumbnails
258leftside.jpg   258HEIcap.jpg   258HEIrotor.jpg  

Barry
Lawson Hill Farm

post #36 of 132 Old 04-17-2020, 09:39 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHFarm View Post
I'm waiting on the fuel pump, so thought I start reviewing the HEI. I've attached pictures of the left side of the engine. Maybe I should have been suspicious when the guy had block painted purple for his daughter.
Painted? Hmmm. Make sure the distributor has a good ground, Scrape off the paint where the distributor sits and the clamp that holds it in place. As far as I know, this is the only way the distributor is grounded.

Quote:
The cap and rotor show no signs of wear or arching. Since it was new out of the box, I don't expect there would be any marks, unless the cap was defective.

I have been trying to read up on HEI systems, since this is new to me. I am using Autolite AP985 plugs, with a 034 gap. I've read a few posts that push for a wider gap, as much as 050. Should I change to a different plug or increase the gap?
I hope that's a miss print. You really shouldn't be using Platinum plugs in the 258. As much hype there is about platinum, they just don't seem to work well in these dinosaurs.
I would definitively change the plugs and go up to a .045 gap.
Matt1981CJ7 and Mister4x4 like this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #37 of 132 Old 04-17-2020, 10:26 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I see you've capped your vacuum advance can, which isn't necessary, but have you plugged the hose that connects to it? If not, you should.

Matt

post #38 of 132 Old 04-17-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
LHFarm

1979 CJ7 

What plugs do you recommend? I'll see if I can get them added to my order. Doing a curbside pickup.

Barry
Lawson Hill Farm

post #39 of 132 Old 04-17-2020, 11:51 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
What plugs do you recommend? I'll see if I can get them added to my order. Doing a curbside pickup.

Autolite ASP 985 or Champion CHA 82

Matt
John Strenk likes this.

post #40 of 132 Old 04-17-2020, 05:58 PM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I hope that's a miss print. You really shouldn't be using Platinum plugs in the 258. As much hype there is about platinum, they just don't seem to work well in these dinosaurs.
I would definitively change the plugs and go up to a .045 gap.
Agreed. I'd tried a set of Bosch Platinums a LONG time ago and they absolutely sucked. Good ol' Champions is the way to go, IMHO.
post #41 of 132 Old 04-18-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
LHFarm

1979 CJ7 

Update - I decided to try the new plugs before installing a new fuel pump. There was a difference - the engine seemed to want to fire more often, but just didn't "take".

I'll install the fuel pump later today. Anything I need to be careful of when removing/installing the pump?

Barry
Lawson Hill Farm

post #42 of 132 Old 04-18-2020, 12:35 PM
Willyc
1983 CJ7 

Just a couple of observations. I drive an 83 CJ7 with a 258 that was manufactured in 77 (long story). I installed a Summit Racing HEI a year ago. First from your photos, your installation looks very similar to mine. Using the vacum advance as an indicator, it seems my distributor is adjusted 5-10 degrees clockwise compared to yours.
Once installed and I got it to fire I had to play with the timing a lot in order to get things running properly.
Second, I'm using Autolite plugs .045 gap. Finally, when i first started working on engines 50 years ago I was always told that crossed plug wires can cause a "crossfire". I know plug wire insulation and technology have improved more that I have. When I installed new wires with my new HEI it was impossible to keep wires from crossing. So, I split some pieces of rubber tubing I gad around and slid them over the wires to further insulate them at contact points. I may not have helped, but it makes me feel better.
Attached Images

post #43 of 132 Old 04-18-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
LHFarm

1979 CJ7 

Replaced the fuel pump. Definitely pumping more gas. (Did the same hose in a jug test). However that didn't solve the problem. As long as I spray fluid down the throat, it fires. So I'm back to a carburetor problem.

I have gone back through the Weber instructions and found this statement "Weber Carburetors require 3.5 p.s.i. of Fuel pressure" Since I have a pressure regulator from my old engine with a Weber installed, I may reinstall and crank the pressure down. Don't think I have anything to loose at this point.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to see if I can do an exchange for a new carb.

Thanks for all the suggestion. I do believe we will get it started.

Barry
Lawson Hill Farm

post #44 of 132 Old 04-18-2020, 08:18 PM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Replaced the fuel pump. Definitely pumping more gas. (Did the same hose in a jug test). However that didn't solve the problem. As long as I spray fluid down the throat, it fires. So I'm back to a carburetor problem.

I have gone back through the Weber instructions and found this statement "Weber Carburetors require 3.5 p.s.i. of Fuel pressure" Since I have a pressure regulator from my old engine with a Weber installed, I may reinstall and crank the pressure down. Don't think I have anything to loose at this point.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to see if I can do an exchange for a new carb.

Thanks for all the suggestion. I do believe we will get it started.
When you say that it fires with starting fluid, do you mean that you can keep it running with said fluid?

Josh
post #45 of 132 Old 04-19-2020, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
LHFarm

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
When you say that it fires with starting fluid, do you mean that you can keep it running with said fluid?

Josh
It is difficult for me to properly describe what I'm hearing. I spray a good amount of fluid down the the throat and have my wife crank the engine. It seems to fire, but not completely "catch" and then nothing. I haven't tried a continuous spray.

After I mount the regulator, I will try to shoot a video.
Wabatuckian likes this.

Barry
Lawson Hill Farm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in