79’ CJ5 Camber Adjust Recommendations - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-29-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
southtx
Junior Member
 
southtx's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kingsville
Posts: 64
Garage
79’ CJ5 Camber Adjust Recommendations

Hoping for more help with my CJ5 build. I purchased the Lifetime Alignment at the local Firestone and below are pics of the initial and final results. The Firestone Rep said I was good to go like this and not to worry about it. The Left front Camber is in the green at 1.3 but the Right front Camber is in the red at 2.3. He did advise that I add caster shims up front but he couldn’t tell me what size or degree to purchase....???

What do you all think? Should I be good to go OR should I get the camber adjusting sleeves or outer shims and install those? I see I can get the adjusting sleeves on Summit and i may be able to get the shims at Oreillys. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. I will install these myself if they need to be added...

Thanks Again!

Attached Images
 
southtx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-29-2020, 01:16 PM
Fourtrail
Registered User
1974 CJ6 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,633
I would not worry about the camber #, but you do need to get a set of 5 degree caster shims put in between the perch and spring pack to get a good 5 or so degree positive caster number

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
Fourtrail is online now  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-29-2020, 02:18 PM
oldschool74cj5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 574
hello

first thing are your ball joints good? then the first thing you need to get is the caster in. for the camber you can get the shims that go between the spindle and the knuckle. they work pretty well.

oldschool
oldschool74cj5 is online now  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
southtx
Junior Member
 
southtx's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kingsville
Posts: 64
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
I would not worry about the camber #, but you do need to get a set of 5 degree caster shims put in between the perch and spring pack to get a good 5 or so degree positive caster number
Thank you FourTrail! I’ll pick up the 5 degree caster shims. Thats one of the #’s I needed to know.
southtx is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-29-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
southtx
Junior Member
 
southtx's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kingsville
Posts: 64
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

first thing are your ball joints good? then the first thing you need to get is the caster in. for the camber you can get the shims that go between the spindle and the knuckle. they work pretty well.

oldschool
oldschool74cj5, thank you for your reply as well! I have brand new moog balljoints- everything on the jeep is new or rebuilt. That doesn’t mean I installed anything correctly but I think I got it all right. I may have fouled up the camber sleeves that came with the new ball joints? Could installing them too deep or not deep enough cause my camber issue? I’ll start with the 5 degree caster shims, as recommended by fourtrail and then go from there. I do have a 2.5” BDS lift with M.O.R.E. Shackles (I think the shackles are stock length but i can’t remember for sure). Stock height body mounts...
southtx is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-29-2020, 05:48 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler
 
80cj's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,144
From the time I got my Jeep brand new, it would wear the front right tire badly on the outer edge. I would rotate my tires every 3000 miles or so but it wasn't enough to correct the wear pattern. Found out that the right had slightly more than .75 degrees (I forget the exact figure) camber than the left side. I decambered the right side .75 degree with an adjustable ball joint. Tire wear is very acceptable now.
80cj is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-31-2020, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
southtx
Junior Member
 
southtx's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kingsville
Posts: 64
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
From the time I got my Jeep brand new, it would wear the front right tire badly on the outer edge. I would rotate my tires every 3000 miles or so but it wasn't enough to correct the wear pattern. Found out that the right had slightly more than .75 degrees (I forget the exact figure) camber than the left side. I decambered the right side .75 degree with an adjustable ball joint. Tire wear is very acceptable now.
Thanks 80cj, I saw a few posts on other threads where you mentioned doing that but I can’t seem to find the adjustable joints.. I searched a bit yesterday for the spicers but haven’t had any luck finding them yet. Still looking and trying to decide which route to take...
southtx is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-31-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
southtx
Junior Member
 
southtx's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kingsville
Posts: 64
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
I would not worry about the camber #, but you do need to get a set of 5 degree caster shims put in between the perch and spring pack to get a good 5 or so degree positive caster number
Fourtrail, I’ve searched several sites and have found 4 and 6 degree shims but no 5’s. Which do u think would be better? I have the 2.5” lift, with the oem pitman arm if that makes a difference. I will likely get the steel type that way I can weld them on as some others have suggested on other threads to keep them from shifting. Removing and adjusting the steering knuckles is way out of my league and I don’t know of any shops near me that do that.
southtx is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM
Fourtrail
Registered User
1974 CJ6 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtx View Post
Fourtrail, Iíve searched several sites and have found 4 and 6 degree shims but no 5ís. Which do u think would be better? I have the 2.5Ē lift, with the oem pitman arm if that makes a difference. I will likely get the steel type that way I can weld them on as some others have suggested on other threads to keep them from shifting. Removing and adjusting the steering knuckles is way out of my league and I donít know of any shops near me that do that.

Go with the 6 degree shims. You should be between 5 and 7 degrees of caster and you were at .3 and .5.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
Fourtrail is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-31-2020, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
southtx
Junior Member
 
southtx's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kingsville
Posts: 64
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtx View Post
Fourtrail, I’ve searched several sites and have found 4 and 6 degree shims but no 5’s. Which do u think would be better? I have the 2.5” lift, with the oem pitman arm if that makes a difference. I will likely get the steel type that way I can weld them on as some others have suggested on other threads to keep them from shifting. Removing and adjusting the steering knuckles is way out of my league and I don’t know of any shops near me that do that.

Go with the 6 degree shims. You should be between 5 and 7 degrees of caster and you were at .3 and .5.
Awesome, thank you! I’ll get them ordered.
southtx is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-01-2020, 10:20 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler
 
80cj's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtx View Post
Thanks 80cj, I saw a few posts on other threads where you mentioned doing that but I can’t seem to find the adjustable joints.. I searched a bit yesterday for the spicers but haven’t had any luck finding them yet. Still looking and trying to decide which route to take...
I got the Spicer adjustable ball joint from my NAPA dealer but that was a few years ago. I cant remember the brake caliper configuration for a 79 but if the caliper mounts with the spindle bolts, there are tapered shims that can be used. Shims can't be used on CJ's that mount the caliper on the steering knuckle because the rotor will not run perpendicular to the caliper.
80cj is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 08-02-2020, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
southtx
Junior Member
 
southtx's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kingsville
Posts: 64
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtx View Post
Thanks 80cj, I saw a few posts on other threads where you mentioned doing that but I can’t seem to find the adjustable joints.. I searched a bit yesterday for the spicers but haven’t had any luck finding them yet. Still looking and trying to decide which route to take...
I got the Spicer adjustable ball joint from my NAPA dealer but that was a few years ago. I cant remember the brake caliper configuration for a 79 but if the caliper mounts with the spindle bolts, there are tapered shims that can be used. Shims can't be used on CJ's that mount the caliper on the steering knuckle because the rotor will not run perpendicular to the caliper.
Ok, thats good to know. I’ll go check with Napa on Monday.
southtx is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome