'79 CJ5 Axle Issue (AMC 20 2 piece) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
JustMerc
1979 CJ5 

'79 CJ5 Axle Issue (AMC 20 2 piece)

Hey guys,

New here and new to Jeeps. I traded my uncle a car for a '79 CJ5. It's basically stock.

Anyway, the rear passenger side had differential oil come spilling out of it, mixed with grease. Seal replacement time.

Finally popped the hub off today (AMC 20 two piece axle) and noticed this pit around where the outer seal sits. It goes all the way around for the most part. Will it be an issue, do you think? I thought about going with one piece axles, but time and money are two things I don't have a lot of.

Any opinion on the matter would be appreciated. I honestly don't know much about these things.

Top view:

Bottom view:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 03:23 PM
Gagewebb
1982 CJ7 

If you plan on bigger tires I would definitely look into the one piece axles.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 03:39 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It won't seal well.
I have seen were you can get seals with offset placement or double seals to get around that but not sure if they make them for a AMC 20.

Maybe a "speedi sleeve" would work. It's just a band that fits around the worn out section.
http://www.skf.com/us/products/seals...ves/index.html

heck yeah:
http://xpdrivetrain.com/index.php?ma...ducts_id=36055

AMC 20 Rear Axle, Speedi Sleeve
AMC 20 Rear Axle
Product 56/57
Part No.: CT-720A952

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
JustMerc
1979 CJ5 

It currently has 31x10.50's on it. I suppose I will keep those on it. Its main purpose will be for hunting and driving in the snow.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
JustMerc
1979 CJ5 

That is some good information, thank you, John. I've been cleaning the axle up, and think I'll just go ahead and go with a 1 piece kit in the next few weeks. I really don't want to have to ever do this again. It sucked.

I've read a lot of varying information on the one piece kits. Could you confirm if all I need to keep from my original axle is the brake backing plate, and the outer seal dust shield?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 04:57 PM
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

Garage
There are two main things I always do to a CJ when I get it to simplify things and delete multiple future problem spots...

#1 is one piece axles and #2 is an HEI distributor

You can find the G2 kits for $250 all day long
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J...ions_Container

I use Moser but I'm sure they aren't too far off and you are concerned about cost so you're going to be in there already to replace/repair so why not upgrade and fix the problem which you'd only be putting a band aid on really anyhow and it would show itself again probably sooner than later.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-16-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
JustMerc
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_boy02 View Post
There are two main things I always do to a CJ when I get it to simplify things and delete multiple future problem spots...

#1 is one piece axles and #2 is an HEI distributor

You can find the G2 kits for $250 all day long
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J...ions_Container

I use Moser but I'm sure they aren't too far off and you are concerned about cost so you're going to be in there already to replace/repair so why not upgrade and fix the problem which you'd only be putting a band aid on really anyhow and it would show itself again probably sooner than later.
Those G2 kits are the ones I was looking at. I was concerned about quality with the price, but the reviews are great on them. What's the reason that the HEI distributor is so high on your list? Also, thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate all the help and opinions I can get. I'm sure I'll have plenty more.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 05:35 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMerc View Post
....What's the reason that the HEI distributor is so high on your list? Also, thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate all the help and opinions I can get. I'm sure I'll have plenty more.
A poor runningjeep usually boils down to 3 things: Spark, Mixture or Compression. Best to eliminate one problem before trying to pin down other ones.

Because on later CJ's the computer controls the ignition timing based on bad sensor, vacuum leaks etc. that the stock Ignition has problems. HEI distibutor bypasses all that with a 1 wire hookup. There were a few years that had decent ignition systems 79-83 but the new ICM are just junk.

You can turn the stock ignition into a really good ignition by removing the computer, Adding an adapter for a bigger cap, Adjust the the advance plate for more advance and use an e-core ignition coil but a lot of people find that to hard to do. Still you do all that and the aftermarket ICM are junk.

So a 1 wire drop in replacement distributor and your jeep will be burning all the gas you are dumping into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #9 of 13 Old 06-17-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
JustMerc
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
A poor runningjeep usually boils down to 3 things: Spark, Mixture or Compression. Best to eliminate one problem before trying to pin down other ones.

Because on later CJ's the computer controls the ignition timing based on bad sensor, vacuum leaks etc. that the stock Ignition has problems. HEI distibutor bypasses all that with a 1 wire hookup. There were a few years that had decent ignition systems 79-83 but the new ICM are just junk.

You can turn the stock ignition into a really good ignition by removing the computer, Adding an adapter for a bigger cap, Adjust the the advance plate for more advance and use an e-core ignition coil but a lot of people find that to hard to do. Still you do all that and the aftermarket ICM are junk.

So a 1 wire drop in replacement distributor and your jeep will be burning all the gas you are dumping into it.
Now I want an HEI distributor, haha! I'll definitely put it on the list, but axles first. Thanks, John!
post #10 of 13 Old 06-18-2016, 08:52 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMerc View Post
Now I want an HEI distributor, haha! I'll definitely put it on the list, but axles first. Thanks, John!
Spend the extra buchs and get a DUI HEI distributor. I have one and never had any problems. Improved the throttle response. Others who have used DUI have positive comments also.
post #11 of 13 Old 06-20-2016, 08:20 AM
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

Garage
That's what I have on my main CJ, a DUI... I put a 4WD one on a 77 CJ5 258 that I just rebuilt and I had no issues with it... Although I only had it for a couple weeks before I sold it after the rebuild.

DO NOT cheap out and go with one of those fleEBAY $45 units... I did once and it would never work, the module tested bad 2 out of 3 times tested right out of the box. I replaced that, which cost 70% of what the whole dizzy cost and it still didn't fire, so now its sitting in my scrap aluminum bucket!
post #12 of 13 Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
JustMerc
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Spend the extra buchs and get a DUI HEI distributor. I have one and never had any problems. Improved the throttle response. Others who have used DUI have positive comments also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_boy02 View Post
That's what I have on my main CJ, a DUI... I put a 4WD one on a 77 CJ5 258 that I just rebuilt and I had no issues with it... Although I only had it for a couple weeks before I sold it after the rebuild.

DO NOT cheap out and go with one of those fleEBAY $45 units... I did once and it would never work, the module tested bad 2 out of 3 times tested right out of the box. I replaced that, which cost 70% of what the whole dizzy cost and it still didn't fire, so now its sitting in my scrap aluminum bucket!
Great information, thanks guys! I'll look into the distributor in the future. As for now, I bit the bullet. My one piece axles should be here tomorrow, so I'm sure I'll have some questions on installing those. I went ahead and took my thrust block out, and removed my seal flanges and brake backing plates from the old axles. That was a job!
post #13 of 13 Old 06-21-2016, 12:11 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Fix the axle issue with Moser 1 piece, and be done with it.
LG

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men

Tags
1979 , amc 20 , axle , cj5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in