79' CJ5 304/T150 Semi-Quiet Dual Exhaust? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
tumnusfleming
1979 CJ5 

79' CJ5 304/T150 Semi-Quiet Dual Exhaust?

Forum Community,

It's time for a new exhaust setup on my CJ5 and you guys have always been a great help! The pipes are wasting away and the rattles need to be eliminated so I figure it's time for an overhaul. Currently I've got a factory setup. Stock style muffler and a single pipe out the rear left. It's nice and quiet but I want a little more carbureted V8 sound. I'm trying to keep my stock manifolds (just replace the seals) because I am looking for true dual exhaust without it being too loud. Any recommendations on a muffler to give me a little throatiness but not too much cabin noise? I really love the sound of this CJ at the 3 minute mark below. Not sure what he is running, but I've asked him. Something like a factory dual setup. I was thinking 2.5" pipe, run through the skid plate and turned outward towards the back. Any thoughts or recommendations are always appreciated!

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 PM
CSP

A single 3" pipe is going to be quieter than any duals and with the right muffler you'll still have the throaty V8 sound. Go with 2" primaries into a single 3".
post #3 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
tumnusfleming
1979 CJ5 

Thanks for the input CSP! I've heard going to 3" would sacrifice some low end torque for me? 3" sounds like some serious width pipe. No concerns there?

post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

If you're after duals, make sure you install an H-pipe or "cross over". They do a really good job of taking the bite out of aftermarket mufflers.

You might check out these Dynomax Super Turbos.

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumnusfleming View Post
Thanks for the input CSP! I've heard going to 3" would sacrifice some low end torque for me? 3" sounds like some serious width pipe. No concerns there?
You're not going to sacrifice anything really as you still have 2" primaries coming out of the engine. A single 3" pipe is less cross sectional area than two 2" pipes or even 2.5".
post #6 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
tumnusfleming
1979 CJ5 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9vaX...ature=youtu.be

Here's what I ended up doing! Thanks for all of your help and insight team! Stock manifolds, 2.5" y-pipe to a 40 series Flowmaster Delta Flow, ran 2.5" pipe out the driver side rear and turned it down. No fumes, no drone, great low end growl and I think it's perfect!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-19-2013, 12:40 AM
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

I like my 2 Dynomax turbo mufflers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in