2Likes
  • 1 Post By keith460
  • 1 Post By OrangeCJ-5

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-20-2021, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
B15605

78 CJ7 tub refurb

Dear All,

I am new to this forum (couple of posts) and new to jeeps so really appreciate input from those with experience. In a nutshell, I have a 78 CJ7 with a good bit of rust on the tub, but I think it is fixable (or at least I want to have a go a repairing it since it is a good way to spend time with my 14 yr old who is interested). I will post pics once I can do so - I think one has to have a minimum amount of posts prior to being able to put up pics???

In the meantime, here is what I would like thoughts on. My front floor pans are shot and I began the process of cutting out the bad rot yesterday. It appears a PO did a hack job of laying good steel over bad and welding in rot underneath so it is taking a good bit to extract everything. No big deal, just time and aggravation. What my question is around the full width traverse support and the outboard rails. These are not in good shape and need to be replaced (will purchase parts probably from classic fab). A few questions about them:

a) Does the traverse support actually tie into the side walls on each end? Mine is rotten over there so can't really tell what is factory?
b) How does one set the height on these support rails...I can get measurements in the horizontal as they are in there good enough to measure that; however, since they are really only holding in by the floor pan spot welds I am not sure how to get the height right when I put new ones in. Since they have body mounts in them I am thinking it will be pretty important to be close on these. Could someone on the forum perhaps measure theirs for me or is there a source on the web for this type of information?

I am new to the jeep forums and have found VW forums to be amazingly helpful as I rebuilt a Beetle - hoping for similar input over here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-21-2021, 04:46 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Sometimes tubs can be rusted beyond economical repair cost and a new or replacement tubs are more favorable. Even a used YJ tub can be found and used in place of the CJ tub.

Traverse pieces are only attached the the bottom floor sheet metal as the ends are open channel. Placement as to where they go is important and have provided the frame dimensions below for you to check against.

blastedbaremetal-1-.jpg

bottomdetail.jpg

frame.jpg

copy-frame.jpg
OrangeCJ-5 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #3 of 4 Old 09-21-2021, 05:56 AM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

I purchased the sheet metal (side panels, wheel houses, floors and supports) for my CJ5 from Classic Enterprises. I’m not a body guy so I had a shop do the work. They told me how good the parts fit compared to a lot of aftermarket sheet metal that why normally deal with. The shop works on a lot of 30’s to 50’s cars/ trucks and some muscle cars.
keith460 likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-21-2021, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
B15605

I appreciate the pics. Those are helpful as for horizontal location of the supports. What I still need is the vertical dimensions. Could someone with a CJ7 and original floors perhaps take a measurement from the floor to either the top of the door sill or the bottom of the side in the general area of where the traverse support would intersect the side. I think with this dimension I could get things lined up closely enough that the tub would fit back on the chassis with minimal issue.

Also, those tub pics are very helpful as to what it looks like when all fixed up and I will print them out as a guide. Again, many thanks and really appreciate the input.

Lastly, I do understand that a tub swap may make more pure financial sense, but this is a hobby and these are the kind of things I really enjoy doing...buying another tub and just dropping it on would cause my son and me to miss out on a lot of learning and experiences!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in