3Likes
  • 1 Post By oldschool74cj5
  • 1 Post By JoonHoss
  • 1 Post By Cutlass327

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
paintedfly

78 CJ7 Shackle Question

I finished putting the front end back together, ( added some degree shims ) and pulled it out of the garage and noticed that the 2 front shackles are in different positions, I'm new to the whole jeep thing but I'm assuming that there not supposed to look like this ? What causes this and how do I fix it ? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
left side.jpg   Right side.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Did you do the passenger side last (did you Jack up one side at a time?)

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #3 of 11 Old 03-29-2020, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
paintedfly

Joon Hoss,
No I had the front end block up just behind the shackle mounts, I put both sides together while on jack stands and then let it down.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-29-2020, 09:06 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

a couple of quick questions.
1) when adding the shims did you remove the center bolt on the leaf spring then add the shim under the head of the center bolt. this way the center bolt still goes into the locating hole on the axle. when removing the center bolt make sure you install a c-clamp tightly on each side of the centering bolt on the spring.
2) did you get the bolt into the locating hole on the axle. its not that hard to get it in one of the pockets in the cast perch.
3) did you put the jeep on the ground before you tighten everything up. the shackles, u-bolts and so on. that can make some difference.

oldschool
JoonHoss likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
paintedfly

oldschool74cj5,
Yes I clamped the leaf spring pack before I took out the old center bolt. And I did tighten everything up to the torque specs before I put it back on the ground. I check to make sure that the bolt head was going into the centering hole on the cast perch. I went out and looked at both shims , it looks like the right side is further in on the cast perch then the left side. Im going to jack it up and take it apart tomorrow and look at the right side.
Attached Thumbnails
20200329_204612_resized.jpg   20200329_204621_resized.jpg  
post #6 of 11 Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

well hopefully it looks like you found the problem. i know in putting in a BDS lift kit the instructions have you put the jeep on the ground before torquing everything to final torque. then re torquing everything again after about 100 miles.

oldschoolcj5
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2020, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
paintedfly

oldschool74cj5,
I got the jeep 2 years ago, and the P.O had put the lift on , never thought about having it back on the ground to tighten to torque specs. Guess Ill do some research on what the Rubicon lift requires. Thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 03-30-2020, 08:55 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Also, if your springs are new (lifted) and haven't been cycled a lot, you may have bound up that shackle when jacked up. It should be moving the opposite direction. When you jacked it up, it pulled it in the wrong direction, and could have bound up like that.

Hoss
paintedfly likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #9 of 11 Old 03-30-2020, 11:30 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Any time you tighten suspension bushings - leaf springs, sway bar, shocks, etc - have the vehicle on the ground with as if it is ready to drive. Otherwise, you get a "preload" to the bushings causing a whole assortment of issues. Doesn't matter who made the parts, put it on the ground.
paintedfly likes this.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-31-2020, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
paintedfly

Just wanting to make sure I've got this part of it right. The pivot bolt would be on top and the shackle on the bottom.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
paintedfly

Got the front end back together again, right side leaf pack centered and set it on the ground then tighten to torque specs looks right, rides smoother thanks for all the advise, I've got a lot of play in my steering wheel, I tried to adjust the steer gear , but the adjustment was already all the way down, has anyone rebuilt one or is it better to buy a new one.
Attached Thumbnails
20200329_160520_resized.jpg   20200329_160501_resized.jpg   20200329_160609_resized.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in