78' CJ Restoration w/ 87' YJ tub - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-29-2005, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Vidman35

78' CJ Restoration w/ 87' YJ tub

I am working on a ground up restoration/customization. I several questions. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

1. I've noticed that my old 78' steel doors do not have the same door latch as the new tub. Is it possible to change the handle and latch over to the type that will work on the 87' tub? Or am I going to need to buy new doors for it?

2. I've put a 4' skyjacker Lift kit on it... and I am thinking of running large wide tires and wheels. What do I need to do with the front end/rear end/transmission to best accommodate this.

3. What do you think of using HERCULINER on the underside, wheel wells and inside of the tub?

That's it for now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-29-2005, 09:53 AM
teethdoc
1982 CJ7 

I'll try to post pics of my CJ later. I did not do the restoration, but it is the exact same set up. '78 with 87 tub and frame. The doors are from the 87. Lined it with Herculiner. Take out the drain plugs and hose it right out. No one is the wiser. People always comment on how can a '78 look that new?
post #3 of 4 Old 03-29-2005, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Vidman35

Post away!

I cant wait to see the finished product!

post #4 of 4 Old 03-29-2005, 11:57 AM
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidman35
I am working on a ground up restoration/customization. I several questions. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

1. I've noticed that my old 78' steel doors do not have the same door latch as the new tub. Is it possible to change the handle and latch over to the type that will work on the 87' tub? Or am I going to need to buy new doors for it?
I've seen people run the old-style doors on YJ's, so I know they'll work...have to remove the striker pins and may just have to fab up a 'catch' to fatten up the tub where it latches for a snug fit. My first swap job was an '87 onto a '79 and I used doors (full & half) from a 90's YJ.

Quote:
2. I've put a 4' skyjacker Lift kit on it... and I am thinking of running large wide tires and wheels. What do I need to do with the front end/rear end/transmission to best accommodate this.
Wow...didn't know Syjacker made lifts that tall I know...you meant 4" You'll need to regear your axles...ratio will be determined by tire diameter and how you use the Jeep.

Quote:
3. What do you think of using HERCULINER on the underside, wheel wells and inside of the tub?
You wouldn't be the first and won't be the last...only issue might be heat from the cat & muffler using it as an undercoating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in