78 CJ-5, more fuse panel turn signal prob's - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

78 CJ-5, more fuse panel turn signal prob's

i have been reworking the turn signals after rebuilding the column and have also been going through the fuse panel in order to get dash lights to work, gauges to work, etc., and have replaced fuses for the hazards and gotten that working, also the brake lights (replaced fuse, too) and replaced fuses for the cluster feed and panel lights. using a test light i have power to the panel lights at both ends of the fuse, also the brake and hazard fuses, too, but not the cluster. been studying wiring diagrams and pictures of both sides of the fuse panel and am trying to get the turn signal power from the fuse panel and up the column with no success. where is the feed to the turn signal flasher? and does this fee go through a fuse as well? none is shown unless i am missing something. i wonder if i should do a wholesale fuse replacement on each one there? i also have power from the light switch to the fuse panel and through the fuse, but not a single lamp comes on, even after using a ground i jumped all the way to the battery. any answers and suggestions are appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 03:55 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The power actually comes from the flasher. It comes from the fuse to the flasher to the TS switch. You need the flashers plugged in for the turn signal to flash.

Look for Hazard and Turn Flasher in the picture above.
Each circuit has it's own flasher and fuse. Are you sure the brake and hazard fuse are seperate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

i have both flashers plugged in, but only get fire through the hazard flasher. i have the above picture, downloaded and printed and on a clip board i use regularly, my fuse panel is identical to others you have posted, i replaced the fuse for the haz-flasher and then that circuit worked, i replaced the fuse for the brake lamp (it is one away from the hazard flasher) and got that one working, but there is nowhere on the fuse panel that i see for a turn signal fuse, i have removed the turn signal flasher (552) and used a test light in the ports where the flasher mounts to the panel with the key in the run position, but no light, i have studied the pictures where the feed lines come from the ignition switch to the rear of the fuse panel, but don't want to remove the panel if i don't have to, have not yet checked the connections at the ignition switch to see if the wire going to the panel is hot in run, although i assume (hate that word) it is because my oil pressure gauge works (sort of) and has fire to it, everything i look at seems to indicate (wiring diagrams, your posts, etc) that the same wire feeds the panel for both to draw power from the fuse opposite the turn signal flasher in the same position as the hazard flasher fuse on the other end of the panel is marked radio w/s wiper. also, the back side of the panel looks different behind each flasher location

post #4 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Wow, I've been all over that fuse box and I can't see a fuse for that either. Gonna have to get my owners manual out. I'm almost thinking there is no fuse but they wouldn't do that....
Attached Thumbnails
Fuse block1.jpg  

post #5 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

i use a wiring diagram combined with your pictures, and if you flip over the fuse panel (or refer to one of your pics of the back of the one you posted here), a yellow 12 guage wire runs from the ignition switch (marked ACC) to the back of the panel very close to where the red with trim 18 guage wire exits the panel and heads to the column for the turn signal (winding up as your first picture above). i can't remember where i found this wiring diagram, i downloaded it (its an adobe file format) and then printed and enlarged two pages and taped them together to get the full lay out. it is not like the ones in the chilton manuals, lays out the whole jeep from stem to stern, i use it in conjunction with the one you have above and others you have posted. i find it useful to enlarge and print them and keep them on a clipboard, going from one to another as i scratch my head.....
post #6 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

here is the link to the wiring diagram:

http://offroaders.com/tech/Jeep-Wiri...grams-1978.htm

very useful
post #7 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes same one as I have. See circuit 75 (Yellow Highlight) from the turn signal plug to the fuse box? It connects to one side of the socket for the turn signal flasher. The other sid goes to a bus bar that also connects to the fuse for w/s wipers. See if there is a fuse someplace there.
Attached Thumbnails
TS Flasher.jpg  

post #8 of 14 Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

so, is the feed to the buss bar the the yellow 12 guage wire from the ignition (and, hence i should look there for the current, unless the buss bar itself has been comprimised somehow) or elsewhere? the yellow 12 guage is marked acc. feed, and comes into the back of the panel under the fuse slot marked pwr. acc, looks like it calls for a 30 amp fuse.... the wire coming out of the other end goes to the A/C compressor. i suppose i should check to see if that yellow 12 guage is hot back at the ignition switch when i am in run, right? it should light up the test light on the connector slot above the buss bar as well? the current load is coming in on a 12 guage and leaving through the flasher on an 18. does that seem right? the yellow 12 guage comes from the same pin location on the ignition switch connector where a dual 16 guage yellow heads off to the voltmeter, and the voltmeter seems to work. nothing like confusion, is there?

Last edited by jimdubose; 01-13-2009 at 05:11 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

the yellow 12 guage wire to the buss bar is hot and lights the test light at the connector at the buss when you probe in from behind the panel in the small space between it and the firewall, but not when you insert the test light probe into the fuse panel fron the front side where you plug up the flasher. i would suppose the next step is to remove the panel, or at least loosen the torq screws to pull it away from the fire wall and inspect the buss bar. how likely is it that that could go bad? and has anyone else found this to be a problem. i can replace the w/s wiper fuse, but that has nothing to do with this circuit, i think, other than it shares current with the t/s source. suggestions?
post #10 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 03:56 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I found my old fuse box and I was suprised to see NO FUSE IN TS CIRCUIT. Holy fried harness Batman. Were they thinking the flasher is suppose to act as a circuit breaker? 8)

The yellow wire goes right back to the ignition switch and supplies power to the turn signal and w/s wiper.

You see the condition of the fuse box in the picture above. It does not suprise me that the connection can be bad.

You have to take the screws out and then there are two snaps that hold the fusebox to the bulkhead connector. Then you can flip it over and check the buss bar. (or would that be Buzz Bar )

I got a picture sitting in my camera but my card reader is at home. I'll post the pictures tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
76-78FuseBoxTS.JPG  

Last edited by John Strenk; 01-15-2009 at 10:26 AM.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

thanks for that, john. i have been using a mirror and a flashlight (and other pictures you have posted of the backside of the panel)to look behind the panel before attempting to remove it. that was going to be my next question, how tricky is removing the panel and will the bulkhead loosen up and want to come with it. i made myself a jumper wire and went from the yellow wire at the fuse box around the back of the box and clipped the other end into the flasher prong and inserted it back into the panel in its slot on the panel, turned the key to run and have blinkers (i wanted to confirm that i installed the signal cam in the col properly, etc.), but it seems that the power comes in the yellow wire from the ign switch to the back of the fuse panel to the connector and then stops right there. nothing to the wiper--radio fuse either, so i am suspecting the buzz-less buss bar. any idea where i can get a replacement, or what to 'make up' a replacement out of? i would imagine that parts for 31 year old tube type fuse panels are as plentiful as chicken teeth
post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

When you take the screws out the connector will want to come out but don't worry, it ain't going anywere.
There are some plastic clips on screw housing for the bulkhead connector that you spread out and the fuse box will pull away.

I would look into buying a new fuse panel as this one will keep on giving you problems later. I can't think of anything other than drilling out the rivets and cleaning up the buss and screw it back together and solder it back together. Using a screw will let you add a terminal to solder the yellow wire on.

Get an 8 or more circuit fusebox and wire it in yourself.

Here is a cheap one that can be used for the CJ. Don' know much about it but is cheaper than the Painless but you probably need to do a lot of tining to put it in.

http://stores.homestead.com/ez2wire/...Categories.bok

You could always find another fuse box like you have but it probably be in just as bad of shape as yours.

post #13 of 14 Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

i think the panel is probably also the culprit for the panel lights as well, i have power from the light switch to the panel, and can light a test light on both sides of the fuse, but nothing out the orange wire to anywhere, i hope there is just a problem with the connections of the wires to the back of the panel and maybe with a little luck and some clening up i can make due with this. you are right, i probebly need to replace the panel and harness, but am perpetually, proverbially broke i was lucky to find it for only $750 (it did not run when i got it and the previous owner had bought a bronco instead and let this fall into a state of disrepair), towed it home and have been inching forward with progress (even to the point of rattle can painting after sanding to stop rust spread, with a spray called 'sweet cream' from wal-mart. across the parking lot, it looks just like a big, stubby tub of butter with black gumbo mudders). i'll pull out the panel in tomorrow's daylight and post my progress. thanks so much for your help
post #14 of 14 Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

it took me an awfully long time to get back to this, but we suffered a short cold spell and i had to wait until the temps climbed back up into the 70's (79 today--i know, its a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it). so, pulled the fuse panel, replaced fuses, pulled the wires loose at the clip connectors behind the fuses and cleaned em' up, mostly using a pocket knife, also tightened the connection clamps with channel locks, and put the wires back on the connnectors, and now have turn signals, and fire to everywhere there is a fuse and wire. proceeding along the wires to the guages and lights at the spedo cluster, installing grounds as none of these still work (took one of the inst. cluster lights out and hooked a ground wire directly to it and it lit, so speedo isn't grounded, once it is, then its to the strenk guage web pages and hopefully no more wondering when and where i'll be when it runs out of gas). this is an excellent forum when you have a sick jeep, lots of helpful, helpful suggestions and insight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in