77 CJ7 with Fitech stalling when warm. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DougE

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-30-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
MFairbourn

1977 CJ7 

77 CJ7 with Fitech stalling when warm.

A month ago I bought a sweet 77 CJ7 that seems to be a sweet rebuild. It has a interesting history. The guy I bought it from won it in a raffle, after buying a $50 raffle ticket. The PO only put about 30 miles on it after it was totally rebuilt. Here is the link to the raffle: http://www.ebsmithfoundation.org/2017-raffle

It has the Fitech Go street EFI on it. It will start and run a bit rough, but totally drivable until it hits about 183F then it starts to cut out and will eventually stall. It won't restart for about 30 min.

It had the Fitech fuel command center in it when I bought it. That thing ran hot and got up to 230F, so I thought I had a vapor lock issue. This past weekend I put the new Fitech force fuel in it and I am having the same issues and the fuel pump is running cool. Also getting 58PSI of fuel pressure so I am pretty confident it is not a fuel issue.

I am now thinking that it might be an issue with the "no-name" HEI Distributor. Before I drop more money on this problem I am looking for any other ideas.

Thanks in advance.

18 - JK
77 - CJ7
08 - JK (Son's)
97 - TJ (Other son's)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-01-2019, 06:27 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Just initially, have you tried reset to factory defaults or reset learnings since replacing fuel centre?

Is coolant sensor good?

Is elec fan control option enabled with a mechanical fan? Can causes rough running issues at around the temp you stated if not disabled.

IAC steps between 3-10 range at warm idle?

It does need a good consistent tach signal from the HEI so you may be onto something there.

Also dont assume it was installed optimally to start with. The major cause of issues with the Fitech units is sub-par/incorrect wiring of tach and/or white ignition wire apparently.
Im a Fitech newb with same unit as you with command centre 2 (all good. runs cool btw) and have had to learn a few things in the last couple of weeks with some initial set up issues. I rechecked and optimised the wiring. Also reseated the HEI ignition module with some fresh thermal paste and cleaned the pigtail terminals and sockets for good measure. Had an occasional sudden cut-out too followed by rough or no start that a reset or restore to good tune fixes. Will get to the bottom of it as Im sure will your gremlins.

Whollsee

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-01-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
MFairbourn

1977 CJ7 

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post
Just initially, have you tried reset to factory defaults or reset learnings since replacing fuel centre?

Is coolant sensor good?

Is elec fan control option enabled with a mechanical fan? Can causes rough running issues at around the temp you stated if not disabled.

IAC steps between 3-10 range at warm idle?

It does need a good consistent tach signal from the HEI so you may be onto something there.

Also dont assume it was installed optimally to start with. The major cause of issues with the Fitech units is sub-par/incorrect wiring of tach and/or white ignition wire apparently.
Im a Fitech newb with same unit as you with command centre 2 (all good. runs cool btw) and have had to learn a few things in the last couple of weeks with some initial set up issues. I rechecked and optimised the wiring. Also reseated the HEI ignition module with some fresh thermal paste and cleaned the pigtail terminals and sockets for good measure. Had an occasional sudden cut-out too followed by rough or no start that a reset or restore to good tune fixes. Will get to the bottom of it as Im sure will your gremlins.

Whollsee

Thanks for your suggestions!

No I didn't reset learning after the FCC install. I will try that tonight.

Not sure on the coolant sensor. I tend to believe it's accurate, but I can double check with a multimeter.

yes, I have the fan enabled. So you suggest I totally disable or just bump up the temp that it kicks on at?

I will have to look at my IAC steps, I think mine is running much higher. Maybe I should reset that as well.

All good ideas.

18 - JK
77 - CJ7
08 - JK (Son's)
97 - TJ (Other son's)

post #4 of 14 Old 10-01-2019, 11:49 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFairbourn View Post
yes, I have the fan enabled. So you suggest I totally disable or just bump up the temp that it kicks on at?
So if you have a mechanical fan disable the Fitech fan setting. If you have electric fan(s) run by the Fitech set on around 205F off around 195F. If you have electric fans run by a switch or controller other than the Fitech unit then disable the Fitech fan setting.

Have you seen this?...

https://fitechefi.com/fitech-efi-bas...-instructions/

post #5 of 14 Old 10-09-2019, 06:57 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Occasionally I needed to open the throttle slightly to get the engine to start. FiTech recommended I check the IAC setting. (Is it between 3 and 10 at 175*?).
So, on the menu, go to "Large Gauges"
Select: RPM, Coolant and IAC:
Select "Show"
Then you will see these three values on the handheld.
My IAC was 57. I went into
"Go EFI-Initial Setup"
"Idle Setup"
"Idle Screw set TPS"
Change to "All Zero"
"Send to CPU"
Return to Large Gauges display and, with engine running, adjust idle screw to get IAC value to between 3 and 10.
Mine was now running between 0 and 3 so I backed the screw out until I was getting 4 with an occasional 5.

1983 CJ7, 258I6, T4, Dana 300, 31x10.5x15 DuraTrac
post #6 of 14 Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 AM
ZEN357

Have you made contact with Fi-Tech Technical support?
post #7 of 14 Old 10-09-2019, 09:38 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

ZEN. Yes, see my 2nd sentence. Advised them about my results too.

post #8 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 01:55 AM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions!

No I didn't reset learning after the FCC install. I will try that tonight.

Not sure on the coolant sensor. I tend to believe it's accurate, but I can double check with a multimeter.

I will have to look at my IAC steps, I think mine is running much higher. Maybe I should reset that as well.

All good ideas.
Any updates MF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
Occasionally I needed to open the throttle slightly to get the engine to start. FiTech recommended I check the IAC setting. (Is it between 3 and 10 at 175*?).
So, on the menu, go to "Large Gauges"
Select: RPM, Coolant and IAC:
Select "Show"
Then you will see these three values on the handheld.
My IAC was 57. I went into
"Go EFI-Initial Setup"
"Idle Setup"
"Idle Screw set TPS"
Change to "All Zero"
"Send to CPU"
Return to Large Gauges display and, with engine running, adjust idle screw to get IAC value to between 3 and 10.
Mine was now running between 0 and 3 so I backed the screw out until I was getting 4 with an occasional 5.

DougE Im curious if when you were getting the 0-3 IAC readings was the idle surging/fluctuating a little dropping right down at 0 then recovering as steps climbed to 3?

post #9 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 07:59 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

It was actually running OK just sitting in the driveway with 0 to 3, but I don't know how it would have acted on the road. I took it for its first post-mod run this morning and it ran good. I think it may have had one little stumble going to breakfast, but there was nothing of note returning home.

post #10 of 14 Old 10-10-2019, 05:20 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougE View Post
It was actually running OK just sitting in the driveway with 0 to 3, but I don't know how it would have acted on the road. I took it for its first post-mod run this morning and it ran good. I think it may have had one little stumble going to breakfast, but there was nothing of note returning home.

Cool. I'm liking mine a lot a couple of weeks into using it. Some tuning yet to dial it in for best performance but learning a lot as I go. Perhaps we should start a Fitech users thread?!

post #11 of 14 Old 10-11-2019, 07:22 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

Performance has been excellent! Other than a rare no start requiring a little throttle there has been nothing to complain about. The manual was unclear about the need to have the ignition on when doing the initial setup and they should also have had you check the IAC setting as an initial tuning item.
whollsee likes this.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-15-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
MFairbourn

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Any updates MF?

Yes! Sorry for the delay.. I did reset the IAC and had it idling nice at 750 RPM between 3-10 IAC. I also decided to install a new DUI HEI Distributor and wires because I knew my timing was a little retarded and the PO had installed a cheap Chinese HEI. So I finally got around to that last night. Timing sounds good at about A10 and she rumbles sooo much quieter. It did help the cutting out a bit as well. But driving her around last night I did get one stall. it was when I had idled down to a stop, then gunned it. I felt a bit of a bog before she stalled.

I am wondering if I just need to reset all my Fitech learnings and start over since the timing has changed. Any ideas?

Thanks

18 - JK
77 - CJ7
08 - JK (Son's)
97 - TJ (Other son's)
post #13 of 14 Old 10-15-2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
MFairbourn

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Cool. I'm liking mine a lot a couple of weeks into using it. Some tuning yet to dial it in for best performance but learning a lot as I go. Perhaps we should start a Fitech users thread?!

Let's do that!!!

18 - JK
77 - CJ7
08 - JK (Son's)
97 - TJ (Other son's)
post #14 of 14 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Yes! Sorry for the delay.. I did reset the IAC and had it idling nice at 750 RPM between 3-10 IAC. I also decided to install a new DUI HEI Distributor and wires because I knew my timing was a little retarded and the PO had installed a cheap Chinese HEI. So I finally got around to that last night. Timing sounds good at about A10 and she rumbles sooo much quieter. It did help the cutting out a bit as well. But driving her around last night I did get one stall. it was when I had idled down to a stop, then gunned it. I felt a bit of a bog before she stalled.

I am wondering if I just need to reset all my Fitech learnings and start over since the timing has changed. Any ideas?

Thanks
Hey glad it's on it's way.

What engine do you have and are you auto or manual?
What vacuum are you getting at warm idle?

Yes I would reset all learnings first. That stall issue could be a couple of different things depending on whether it felt like you were heading for a stall as you came to a stop or if it was definitely when you hit the accelerator. Increasing fuel for accel and slowing return to idle a tad might be first things to look at. Refer to that basic set up link I posted for you earlier.

Whollsee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in