76 cj7 1 ton sbc350 build - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-09-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
CrimsonBoat

76 cj7 1 ton sbc350 build

Hey everyone, so I am currently in the process of doing my 1 ton axle swap on my cj7 I got last October. I figured it would be good to catalog my progress so that others could get ideas if they are thinking of doing a 1 ton swap and also so I can get some more experience with some of the more technical challenges of the task. So, some background. This is my first big project jeep. I owned an 01 Grand Cherokee that I lifted and put 35s on and did some work on here and there but nothing huge. So needless to say I am pretty new at this big swap project type of stuff so have some grace with me. Ended up trading the grand for this 76 cj7 that had a chevy 350/turbo 400 swapped, dana 300, 38.5 tsl's, dana 44 front with arb, and amc 20 rear with Detroit. Here are some pictures of my old grand and the cj7 when I first picked her up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
CrimsonBoat

After owning her for just over a week I decided to commence the 1 ton swap. After all, I traded in order to get something that could be more easily used to swap 1 tons into. I had a 14 bolt that I had pulled from the junkyard and was in search of a GM kp60 that i eventually found. So i began tearing into her and found that the tub had a lot more rust than I had originally thought and it would need to be addressed. Luckily my family owns a media blaster so that will make stripping the tub a whole lot easier. I began by pulling the interior out and removing the hard top and the cage. Then I pulled the front and rear axles, exhaust, front clip, lights, winch, windshield, dash, pedals, and everything else that was on the tub in prep for the blasting.

post #3 of 18 Old 03-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm afraid you might be in for more rust surprises when pull all that diamond plate.

Good job, so far.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 03-10-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
CrimsonBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I'm afraid you might be in for more rust surprises when pull all that diamond plate.

Good job, so far.

Matt
Ya, the diamond plate is off now and it's actually not that bad where it was. Most of the rust was under the carpets which were soaked when I pulled them and I'm sure had been for a long time. The hard top was cracked and not repaired very well so it must have leaked.

post #5 of 18 Old 03-10-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
CrimsonBoat

Well I finally was able to hunt down a kp60 that wasn't going to cause me to remortgage my house. I found a set of h1 beadlocks and ended up trading the 38.5 tsl's for some 39.5 boggers. I got the body off the frame and I'm waiting now to sand blast it. Then came the move to the house we bought so not a lot of progress recently other than cutting the brackets off of the frame and the axles so I can put on the new brackets I got from ruffstuff and barnes 4wd. I also picked up ruffstuffs disc brake brackets for the 14 bolt and all the new brakes (front and rear) that I'm going to use. I decided that the jeep is going to be a gun metal grey color and the new cage that I'll eventually build and the brake calipers will be cobalt blue. Also, while all of this is going on the weld on one of the frame side shock mounts gave and also the rear crossmember and body mount welds gave. It appears to me that they had been rewelded at some point and whoever did the welding was not very skilled and had almost no penetration. So that's fun.

post #6 of 18 Old 03-31-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
CrimsonBoat

Well I got the front suspension mocked up and it is holding the axle in the air right now. Just order the solid srw hubs for the dana 60 so when I get those in I'll be putting the ends back together and getting some tires on to see if everything is going to work. I also assembled the rear axle wheel ends and I'll be setting up the suspension on that soon. Still need to weld the rear crossmember back on though.

post #7 of 18 Old 03-31-2019, 10:57 AM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great work so far. I love a pic heavy build. I'm torn between cutting up my front fenders like yours or leaving them stock though.

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #8 of 18 Old 04-01-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
CrimsonBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post
Great work so far. I love a pic heavy build. I'm torn between cutting up my front fenders like yours or leaving them stock though.
I like the look of the high fenders personally. When I got the jeep it had those diamond plate steel flat fenders and i swear they had to have been 50 pounds a piece. So I got rid of them and haven't figured out what I'm doing about it yet. It's kinda on the back burner until I get it running and driving again.

post #9 of 18 Old 04-02-2019, 11:59 AM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

I did DOM tube fenders on mine. But I stretched the wheelbase so I had to cut the rear and needed extra clearance upfront as well since the front went 5 inches forward.
I see you are staying with the leaf springs, I went four link and coil springs on my build and love it. Mine has the 14 bolt in the rear but a 44 up front. I got the pair cheap so that was the way I went. But I was still running the 30 and 20 at the time so it was still a giant improvement.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #10 of 18 Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

CrimsonBoat I see you have Ruff Stuff spring plates, love all their stuff. You might look into adding a third bolt/stud to the D60 perch mount in the diff housing. The spring plate has the hole for the 3rd bolt/stud.

My D60 had 9/16 bolts, most Chevy D60s have 5/8 from what I read. My bolts stripped out, I had them drilled out and tapped to 5/8 and added the 3rd bolt. Also added spacers for the bolts between the mounting surface and spring plate. From what I have read the U bolt stretches causing the spring plate to have play, causing broken or stripped bolts/studs. Adding the 3rd bolt and spacers helps prevent this.

A Ruff Stuff anti-wrap bar on the 14 bolt would be a good idea with leaf springs.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-04-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
CrimsonBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZCAT View Post
I did DOM tube fenders on mine. But I stretched the wheelbase so I had to cut the rear and needed extra clearance upfront as well since the front went 5 inches forward.

I see you are staying with the leaf springs, I went four link and coil springs on my build and love it. Mine has the 14 bolt in the rear but a 44 up front. I got the pair cheap so that was the way I went. But I was still running the 30 and 20 at the time so it was still a giant improvement.
Yes I'm sticking with leafs for now. I originally had planned on doing ori struts and 4 links and a crazy wheelbase stretch but last year I got married and started a new job and bought a house so not really within the budget. Eventually I hope to still do all that but just gradually. I would be interested to see the dom fenders you have. I really like the look of tube fenders and bumpers. Also, I see that you're in Joplin. I'm in Branson. Are there any good places to wheel close to the area that isn't smorr? I'm new here and haven't had a chance to get out and find trails since the jeep has been under the knife.

post #12 of 18 Old 04-04-2019, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
CrimsonBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCJ7Jeep View Post
CrimsonBoat I see you have Ruff Stuff spring plates, love all their stuff. You might look into adding a third bolt/stud to the D60 perch mount in the diff housing. The spring plate has the hole for the 3rd bolt/stud.

My D60 had 9/16 bolts, most Chevy D60s have 5/8 from what I read. My bolts stripped out, I had them drilled out and tapped to 5/8 and added the 3rd bolt. Also added spacers for the bolts between the mounting surface and spring plate. From what I have read the U bolt stretches causing the spring plate to have play, causing broken or stripped bolts/studs. Adding the 3rd bolt and spacers helps prevent this.

A Ruff Stuff anti-wrap bar on the 14 bolt would be a good idea with leaf springs.
I have read about the third stud but haven't really thought about it beyond that. It's probably a good idea just in case. Also, the ruffstuff spring plates are pretty long, wouldn't they help with axle wrap? I had planned on getting everything together and see how bad the axle wrap is and then go from there. Right now I just want her running again. I'm itching to wheel.

post #13 of 18 Old 04-05-2019, 10:03 AM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBoat View Post
Yes I'm sticking with leafs for now. I originally had planned on doing ori struts and 4 links and a crazy wheelbase stretch but last year I got married and started a new job and bought a house so not really within the budget. Eventually I hope to still do all that but just gradually. I would be interested to see the dom fenders you have. I really like the look of tube fenders and bumpers. Also, I see that you're in Joplin. I'm in Branson. Are there any good places to wheel close to the area that isn't smorr? I'm new here and haven't had a chance to get out and find trails since the jeep has been under the knife.

Yeah I like mine stretched now to 109" for wheeling, Moved the rear back 10" and comp cut the body then moved the front 44 up 5". I used TJ springs at first but they weren't stiff enough and it acted like a bobble head on the trail. Put in XJ coils after that and it works great. So much flex that I can drive to the top of an RTI ramp and never lift a back tire. And full width Chevy axles are more stable on the off camber stuff now.
Here is a pic of my fenders. Used DOM and bent it in the tube bender then has 1/4" steel plate welded in and then angle iron where they bolt to the body. My front stinger is welded to them and the bumper. Could have ground down the welds more but it is my trail Jeep and not built for "show and shine"
As for Wheeling SMORR is ok....I went there when it was first purchased and they had clear cut a ton and the trees were still there and you had to drive over them to get any where....kind of sucked...only been back twice since then. Disney Oklahoma is good. Trails and rocks by the dam. Rush springs in Pineville MO isn't real big but decent to wheel. D-Day off road park in Wyandotte OK ( I helped build the trails there but they haven't kept it up and don't have much wheeling anymore). Then it is a drive but Hot Springs AR has a great place. North of Fort Scott KS has Kansas Rocks offroad park. Granted none of those are right around the corner from you but are good weekend trips.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20171013_20_50_18_Pro (2).jpg  

'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #14 of 18 Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Wabatuckian

Hello,

Maybe I missed it, but did you do 1-piece shafts in that AMC 20? I managed to spin a hub with a warmed-over 304 in my '76 CJ5.

Those AMC 20s are surprisingly strong with the single piece axle shafts.

Regards,
Josh
post #15 of 18 Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabatuckian View Post
Hello,

Maybe I missed it, but did you do 1-piece shafts in that AMC 20? I managed to spin a hub with a warmed-over 304 in my '76 CJ5.

Those AMC 20s are surprisingly strong with the single piece axle shafts.

Regards,
Josh
They are strong with one piece shafts for sure....but he has 1 ton axles now Dana 60 up front and 14 bolt in the rear.

'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in