76 CJ5 build - JeepForum.com
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 01-29-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
78cj5123
1976 CJ5 

76 CJ5 build

Hello, Although not new to jeeps I'm fairly new to the forum. I started a father son project based off of one I did in my early 20's (now 54). It was a 73 CJ5 with a 304, tore it down had the frame blasted and painted and replaced everything I could then put a 4wd hardware fiberglass body on it. It was a cross between a light hot rod and 4 wheeler. My 14yo son loves looking at pictures of it and we talked about doing one so I went and found a 76 with the 304 on Craigslist and here we are. We tore it down to just the frame and had that blasted then did some fairly minor welding repair and painted it with SEM rust shield then replaced all rubber everything. I sent the engine out as it needed rebuilding to a local race shop and they did a magnificent job (costly but magnificent) and now it sits in the chassis. The t-150 is rebuilt just waiting for the shop to finish the transfer case and I'll put those in. Might have to stall on the build for a while as I've just been diagnosed with throat cancer and I'm in the middle of dealing with that but I'll get through it. I'll try and post some pictures
Tim

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0497.jpg   IMG_0780.jpg   IMG_0847.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 01-29-2018, 10:26 AM
Dadamsnv

1977 CJ5 

Sub’d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
post #3 of 43 Old 01-29-2018, 10:36 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Tim

As a cancer survivor I wish you God's speed in your endeavors. When I underwent treatments--chemo and radiation--I was frustrated that my body wouldn't let me do things my mind wanted to do. I hope this doesn't happen to you. If it does then this may be the time to delegate the muscle work to your son, and sit back and offer guidance. You will keep your mind off the disease and on the process of guiding him through the build. It may create a lasting memory for both of you.

Good luck and prayer sent.

Bob

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

post #4 of 43 Old 01-29-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
78cj5123
1976 CJ5 

Hello Bob and thank you for the kind words. I just finished my first week of radiation and Chemo and the Chemo is kicking my butt. It is tough when you want to do things but your body won't, 6 more weeks then they said about 2 months of healing. Not looking forward to it but I'm going to do it. Thank you again it means a lot

Tim
post #5 of 43 Old 01-29-2018, 01:28 PM
acgcoug

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Tim,

Nice looking CJ5 to start a rebuild on, simple/stock and unmolested. I love the late 76-79 CJ5's, but I'm kind of partial to them considering I have a '79 that I'm doing a frame up on. Sounds like a great project with your son.

Best wishes with the project and your recovery.

Adam

post #6 of 43 Old 01-29-2018, 01:55 PM
dmoore_64
1933 CJ5 

I wish you god speed in your battle. I think that you have an awesome project with your son that will make a lifetime of memories.
God bless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 43 Old 01-30-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
78cj5123
1976 CJ5 

Thank you all,
I may have mentioned this issue in another thread I honestly don't remember but one thing I wanted to add was anti sway bars as my son will be a new driver and I'll let him use this on a limited basis until he's a competent driver. 1976 was the first year they offered anti sway bars as an option on the cj5 and this one didn't have them. They make complete kits for the rear but I couldn't find one for the front. I did find an early CJ5 complete anti sway bar with mounts on ebay and bought it. Now how to get the threaded inserts and cross hole in the frame to mount it. I used flange nuts and found the proper location and drilled holes large enough for the nuts to drop into but not the flange then tig welded the flange to the frame. I also welded tubing in the cross hole such that I wouldn't crush the box section of the frame when tightening it down. It came out very nice I thought. I used all grade 8 hardware and the sway bar seems to have the right geometry.
'
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0746.jpg   IMG_0745.jpg   IMG_0778.jpg  
Rondawg80 likes this.
post #8 of 43 Old 08-22-2018, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
78cj5123
1976 CJ5 

Well I finally finished my treatments and getting stronger every day so I ordered the body from Shell Valley. I also ordered one of those small Quonset hut tents to do the body work and paint in. I'll vent it with fans and filters.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0943.jpg  
post #9 of 43 Old 08-22-2018, 07:21 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78cj5123 View Post
Well I finally finished my treatments and getting stronger every day so I ordered the body from Shell Valley. I also ordered one of those small Quonset hut tents to do the body work and paint in. I'll vent it with fans and filters.
Ahh, no more rust flaking off in your eyes anymore. !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #10 of 43 Old 08-22-2018, 08:34 AM
DougE
1983 CJ7 

See PM.

1983 CJ7, 258I6, T4, Dana 300, 31x10.5x15 DuraTrac
post #11 of 43 Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
78cj5123
1976 CJ5 

Time is finally allowing a little movement on the project. I expect that with the cold weather my son and I will be working on it a lot more. I've ordered all the parts for the new dash and windshield frame, new tie rods, clutch and linkage and much more. Here's the first the body has touched the chassis

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0977.jpg  
John Strenk likes this.
post #12 of 43 Old 11-16-2018, 09:39 AM
CSP

Well done on the swaybar install. The forethought shows your experience.
post #13 of 43 Old 11-16-2018, 12:28 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

My first Jeep and what I learned to drive on (when I was 7), was a 1975 CJ5 Renegade Levi edition just like that with a 304 and manual brakes and steering. I would get in it and start it standing in the floorboard and push in on the clutch and put in gear and let the clutch out and it was so stiff and strong it would push me up into the seat and I was off and going in first and stayed in it driving around. You guys will have a blast together with it.

God speed on the Cancer...my girlfriend has brain Cancer and it is inoperable so I understand the issues. But she stays positive and even if they said she has a week left she would say nope....not going anywhere until my daughter at least graduates high school. Enjoy all the small moments and laugh a lot, it really is great medicine.
post #14 of 43 Old 11-19-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
78cj5123
1976 CJ5 

CSP thank you very much,
HAZCAT my thoughts are with you and I mean that more than you know. I went through hell but it was treatable I can't imagine what you are going through

Tim
HAZCAT likes this.
post #15 of 43 Old 01-15-2019, 07:08 AM
76cj5248

Garage
76 cj5 rebuild

Hello,
I haven't done much for a while but I'm back at it. I had to change my username as I changed my password and somehow got locked out. So I'm now 76cj5248. I dropped the body onto the chassis and my first question was what bolts to use for the body mounts (luckily all the body mount locations lined up). I want to use stainless and I didn't want bolt heads on the floor to catch everything so I thought about carriage bolts with a washer to limit pull through but the hex on a carriage bolt makes that difficult. Also two of the holes came through right on the edge of where the floor under the seat drops straight down to the floor where your feet rest. I ended up purchasing 1/8" x 2" stainless discs (316 stainless). I can bore holes in the center of these on the lathe and then rosette weld (TIG) the 1/2" stainless all thread to the disc, clean it up to look like just a disc and that's the head of the bolt. Where they came through that outside corner I can fold the disc in the press to a 90 degree angle then again TIG weld the all-thread to the center of that folded disc which will radius nicely around the corner. That just left the issue of tightening the nuts. I milled two flats on either side of the bottom of the all-thread to hold with a wrench, it's a lot of work for 8 bolts but the end result will look nice and be strong. I'll get some pictures when I get to that point I've only done one as a test. Now onto the dash, I bought a new dash with only the basic cut-outs so I've got some work to do there.

Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in