73 CJ5 Flywheel - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By devildog80
  • 1 Post By bob4703

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-29-2021, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
marsmock

73 CJ5 Flywheel

Hello. I have been searching frantically for a new flywheel for my 73 CJ5. No one in the country seems to have it stock. Any suggestions?

Also looking for original glove box and taillights. Not new, but off an actual 73 CJ5. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2021, 11:56 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Wish you luck with finding all original parts for any Jeep project, but Rock Auto might have the glove box insert, maybe tail lights too?
Can you have your existing flywheel rebuilt, or is it too far gone?
Other members have done this, and will probably chime in with costs of rebuild vs replacing, when new parts are not available.
Pics are really helpful, as soon as you can post them. If new to the forum, make your posts short and often, so you can get your post count up and can send pics out. Always best for the rest of us to see what you are working on, as you will get much better feedback!
marsmock likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 09:00 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Welcome!

Please fill out your Profile so we can know more about you and your Jeep. If you had I wouldn't have to ask which engine do you have in your Jeep? Also why do you think you need a new flywheel?

Two years ago I had the 258 engine out and found that the ring gear needed replacement. I went to a local parts store and ordered one. Cost me around $20 and the store paid for shipping. I then took it to a machine shop to have them resurface the flywheel and press on the new gear. They charged me $145. I also had the starter checked at an alternator/starter repair shop.

I have found that parts stores and online sellers may not have parts for our 74 but will have them for a 76. Also folks working the parts counter are more often computer operators than gearheads. I tend to shop the same store and when the computer operator has troubles I know to go see the old parts guy in the back.

Parts for an intermediate--72-75 CJ5s--are not exotic. The engines were used in AMC Gremlins and International 3/4 ton trucks. When they built CJs AMC used parts readily available in parts supply chains and when one part wasn't available the found one that would work. You can order them on line and save a buck, but you often pay shipping unless you order is $99 or more. This is how you can get free stuff if the part is under $99 and shipping makes it over. You can go to a parts store and pay a tad more, but you can compare old with new and tell if it is the same part. They pay shipping to their store and if it ain't right they pay to return it. You also develop a relationship and often they will help you find the part even if it is at a competitor's store.
marsmock likes this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

post #4 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 09:27 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Check these places for parts:

https://daveysjeeps.com/

https://deadjeep.com/

https://www.jwjeep.com/

https://rudys-cjs.com/

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-30-2021, 01:34 PM
CSP

I have had my eye out for a set of factory intermediate taillights for at least 15 years. I've seen one set for sale on Facebook and just missed being the lucky new owner.

I have found a pair on Ebay that are very close to originals. They're imported from China of course, and both have the clear area for the license plate light. The depth is the same as is the diameter and even the screw locations for the lenses. I do have one original to compare to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/150798744705

The parts you're looking for don't have to come off of a '73, any 72-75 will have the same taillights and glove box. Even later years have the glove box.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-31-2021, 02:39 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

I have a '73 and I wouldn't want the original cardboard glove box insert. It might be real hard to find one the way they fall apart. I see one listed on fleabay for $12.00 plus shipping right now, but it looks like garbage. I just opted for a new plastic insert.

These look very similar to my original tail lights. Same Dia, but a little deeper.

https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-B55UW-...720215&sr=8-49

As far as the flywheel, if you cant find a new one a used one should be easy enough to obtain and get ground. What engine and trans do you have?

GL in your parts search.

Last edited by mudbfun; 07-31-2021 at 02:51 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-01-2021, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
marsmock

Thank you!

Tags
flywheel , glove box , tail lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in