2Likes
  • 1 Post By JEEPFELLER
  • 1 Post By agear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-06-2020, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
MomoJeep
1983 CJ8 

6cyl Lifter tapping - pull head?

Help! Really tired of this noise which comes and goes...

BACKSTORY
OEM 258 block was rebuilt. I did the 4.0L head conversion and brought in the MPI/computer. Valves/Lifters were quiet for first 25k miles. On a long summer road trip one day, after driving a few long days in the heat, with a full load in the jeep, up and down mountains from Sequoia NP to Moab area to Yellowstone, one of them started tapping.

COLD
It'll tap continuously on cold starts, then go away once engine warms a bit. So you'd think it was an issue when cold. However...

HOT
It will also tap when hot and running for a few hours. But this tapping is not continuous. It goes in and out of tapping every few seconds. Like: tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap / quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet / tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap / quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet / etc.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:
I tried different oil weights. I tried multiple motor flushes. I ran diesel oil (high detergent) for a while. These things seem to make a little difference, but ultimately it comes back to the same tapping pattern.

Valve work: I had a shop makes sure the pushrods and valves were all good. They made a few little adjustments. it was quiet for awhile, but then the same tapping pattern eventually came back within a few weeks.

QUESTIONS:

LIFTER BORE
(1) If a lifter bore is damaged, am I just SOL? Look for a new block? Or have it machined over size?

(2a) Bad lifter. If this is the case, does the head have to be pulled to do the job?
(2b) A mechanic told me even a new set of lifters is a risk, because it's hard to find high quality ones. Anyone have experience with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-06-2020, 01:27 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have you tried a snake oil?

I have very bad lifters on Bagusjeep, ARbO engine treatment with each oil change quietens them.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 9 Old 08-06-2020, 02:13 AM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Next time you change oil or remove a quart, put a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in there. I had a tap in a newel built and balanced service truck Engine that I didn't like and it shut it up so long as it was in the oil.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-06-2020, 02:14 AM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Last edited by RedNeckCorvette; 08-24-2020 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
post #5 of 9 Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI sometimes an exhaust leak well sound like a lifter ticking.. with symptoms of going way once warmed up.. Usually a lifter well always tap..
Take a piece of hose put one end to your ear and move the other end around the motor.. You should be able to isolate the sound. you can put it on the valve cover and see if you hear the noise over anyone of the cylinders.
good luck
tim
post #6 of 9 Old 08-06-2020, 12:40 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

You're sure its lifter noise and not valve noise. I have a little valve noise on my 258 but so did my mom's single owner honda. My expert told me it was nothing to worry about. I did have some lifter noise on an old freshly rebuilt engine. You can tell the difference. Lifter noise sounds worse lol. You already aware of that ?

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-06-2020, 01:14 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Check me out

Post 6 of 9 in here.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c...gnose-4402381/

Sorta saves on writing another novel.

----JEEPFELLER
MomoJeep likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 06:16 AM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoJeep View Post

BACKSTORY
OEM 258 block was rebuilt. I did the 4.0L head conversion and brought in the MPI/computer. Valves/Lifters were quiet for first 25k miles. On a long summer road trip one day, after driving a few long days in the heat, with a full load in the jeep, up and down mountains from Sequoia NP to Moab area to Yellowstone, one of them started tapping.

COLD
It'll tap continuously on cold starts, then go away once engine warms a bit. So you'd think it was an issue when cold. However...

HOT
It will also tap when hot and running for a few hours. But this tapping is not continuous. It goes in and out of tapping every few seconds. Like: tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap / quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet / tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap / quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet quiet / etc.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:
I tried different oil weights. I tried multiple motor flushes. I ran diesel oil (high detergent) for a while. These things seem to make a little difference, but ultimately it comes back to the same tapping pattern.

Valve work: I had a shop makes sure the pushrods and valves were all good. They made a few little adjustments. it was quiet for awhile, but then the same tapping pattern eventually came back within a few weeks.

QUESTIONS:

LIFTER BORE
(1) If a lifter bore is damaged, am I just SOL? Look for a new block? Or have it machined over size?

(2a) Bad lifter. If this is the case, does the head have to be pulled to do the job?
(2b) A mechanic told me even a new set of lifters is a risk, because it's hard to find high quality ones. Anyone have experience with this?
Did you ever figure something out ?
pedal2themetai likes this.

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 11:38 AM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoJeep View Post

BACKSTORY

COLD

HOT

THINGS I'VE TRIED:

QUESTIONS:

LIFTER BORE

Sounds as if the engine was under load and started with the tapping. That scenario does not consistent with a sticky lifter from crud (unless there are loose metal shavings that worked into the lifter.
I would not suspect a lifter issue, but I would lean towards a possible burnt valve or some other valve guide issue. Have you done a leak down test? That would tell you if you had a stuck valve.
IF leak down test is ok, they investigate lifters.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 posit, 3.31 gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in