69 CJ5 Seats - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-24-2020, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
bwright58

69 CJ5 Seats

Hello!! I have a 69 CJ5 that I would like to put high back seats into. I want to do harness seats belts as well. I can't seem to find any info on what seats I need or modifications. I am willing to do modifications to make something fit but want a place to start. Is there something you guys have used that is a close fit?

Also looking for different side steps. Mine are all rusted and would like to do bars instead.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-24-2020, 06:53 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

Hi. I have high back racing seats in my CJ5. They are the standard high back poly seats and vinyl seat covers from Summit or Jegs. I will say that they can get uncomfortable for long drives, like over an hour. Extra padding can be put under the seat cover. My drives are usually only 15 or 20 minutes so I have not invested in extra padding and it’s not a problem.

I did have 4 point seat belts, but I disliked them because the passenger always struggled to readjust them. Much happier with retractable shoulder belts.
Attached Thumbnails
D0851827-B91B-4EF0-A5BD-7D8CEAEC2F3F_1585096953095.jpg   8C1BD896-7913-45F2-97F7-55AA0E01C6A9_1585097162923.jpg   E9E95795-918E-40DC-A17E-5FD0D9BA03B5_1585097239674.jpg  
post #3 of 9 Old 03-25-2020, 05:39 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Why do you need them? Are you a serious off roader or do you you just want the look?

We have a 74 which has the same tub as your 69. It had later Jeep high back seats when we first got it and was very lacking for space. I replaced them with Bestop low backs and regained some space. Your seat brackets also limits your wiggle room. What you are considering is a substantial investment and you may not be comfortable with the end result.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

post #4 of 9 Old 03-25-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
bwright58

Thank you!! How was the leg room with those seats??
post #5 of 9 Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
bwright58

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbarker View Post
Hi. I have high back racing seats in my CJ5. They are the standard high back poly seats and vinyl seat covers from Summit or Jegs. I will say that they can get uncomfortable for long drives, like over an hour. Extra padding can be put under the seat cover. My drives are usually only 15 or 20 minutes so I have not invested in extra padding and it’s not a problem.

I did have 4 point seat belts, but I disliked them because the passenger always struggled to readjust them. Much happier with retractable shoulder belts.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-25-2020, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
bwright58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Why do you need them? Are you a serious off roader or do you you just want the look?

We have a 74 which has the same tub as your 69. It had later Jeep high back seats when we first got it and was very lacking for space. I replaced them with Bestop low backs and regained some space. Your seat brackets also limits your wiggle room. What you are considering is a substantial investment and you may not be comfortable with the end result.
I will be doing off roading but was looking to get them more for safety driving around town in case I get rear-ended. I was worried about the leg room though. I've been looking at new low seats too.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-25-2020, 07:07 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbarker View Post

There are no issues with leg room. I am 6’ 1” about 190 lbs and do not have any legroom problems.

I believe there is less room in the back seat area. There are aftermarket speakers made to fit behind the front seats in front of the wheel wells in CJ’s. However, they will not fit in mine because the seats are in the way. There is definitely some reduced space in the back.

Also, I mounted the seats to the stock seat brackets. I had to add some pieces of angle to the brackets for the seats to bolt on, but I did use the stock seat brackets with no problems.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Leg room? I'm 6'2" and at the time I was pushing 250#. What I remember most was how hard was to get in or out. I knew someone with a 74 that still had the original seats and tried it. That's what convinced me to go with low back seats. The seats I removed were Jeep manufactured, but I'm sure not for a CJ. I had to teak the mounting of the low back seats to get them to fit and to gain room. The original steering wheel was long ago replaced with an aftermarket deep dished wheel. I replaced it with a slightly larger racing wheel with very little dish. I could go on about chasing inches and fractions of inches, but what made it more comfortable to get in was loosing a few pounds thus the health benefits of having a CJ5. Once I felt comfortable behind the wheel leg room wasn't a problem.

One downside of the replacement seats is that the seatbacks are rigid and when used as a passenger seat won't fold. The mounting holes also don't match up with mounting bracket from front to back and if you use the front hole the seat sits to far forward. Again more tweaking.

Most folks on this forum aren't familiar with the differences between 76+ and the 75- model CJ5s and offer advice based on their experience with the newer Jeep. The lower mounted tube type steering column, 17" steering wheel with no dish, and left to right seat brackets are very different from the newer Jeeps.

You asked about steps. I never could find aftermarket steps so the Boss had her brother fabricate some.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

My experience is with a 1980 CJ5. I don’t know how much different a 1969 is in regard to room for seats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in