3Likes
  • 2 Post By skizriz
  • 1 Post By skizriz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-23-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
mwootto

67 CJ5 Choke Issues

Hello everyone!

I just recently purchased a 67 CJ5. All things considered it's in pretty great shape. I do have one big issue right now, though. The manual choke cord is not working. I tried to film a video so you could hear what it sounds like when giving more gas than idle and it chokes out, (copy and paste the following after typing youtube, can't post links yet) /watch?v=MrZ8u_LQljk at about :14s and :51s you can kind of hear it losing power and doing that "womp, womp, womp" thing.

The pull cord is hard as hell, I have to remove the oil based air cleaner and manually open the carb butterfly. The pull cord will sometimes slightly pull out, but pushing in does nothing.

I'm not all that mechanically inclined so I'm hoping y'all have some advice for me. Hope I explained the issue properly.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-23-2018, 07:53 PM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

I would start by unhooking the cable at the carb. See if it frees up, then you will know whether it's the cable itself binding up (rusty,dirty inside, kink in the cable, tight bends), or something else .
pedal2themetai and mwootto like this.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-24-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
mwootto

So I removed the choke cable entirely. I'm not sure what you mean by freeing up, though. The butterfly in the carb is still adjusted by a piece directly connected to it, which is adjusted by pulling the choke cable. That piece is only adjusted by manually moving it with either my hands or the cable.

Playing with the cable removed has me even more confident it is old/dirty/rusty or something. I'm going to attempt to soak it and free it up. In the meantime I have a new cable on the way anyway, should be here in about a week.

I have the carb butterfly at about 3/4s open. I'm going to swing around the block with it set like that and the choke cable removed and see what happens.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-24-2018, 06:07 PM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwootto View Post
So I removed the choke cable entirely. I'm not sure what you mean by freeing up, though. The butterfly in the carb is still adjusted by a piece directly connected to it, which is adjusted by pulling the choke cable. That piece is only adjusted by manually moving it with either my hands or the cable.

Playing with the cable removed has me even more confident it is old/dirty/rusty or something. I'm going to attempt to soak it and free it up. In the meantime I have a new cable on the way anyway, should be here in about a week.

I have the carb butterfly at about 3/4s open. I'm going to swing around the block with it set like that and the choke cable removed and see what happens.
I meant to see it the cable would pull in and out freely when it's not hooked up. Sounds like a sticky cable might well be the problem from your post.
It should run a lot better with the butterfly open, but will also be harder to start when cold.
The butterfly might have a tendency to flop shut without the cable hooked up to hold it open though. Nothing a small spring, or piece of wire to hold it open wouldn't take care of until you get the new cable in.
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2018, 07:36 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI I don't know if you know how a choke works... ON cold start up the choke if fully closed. After it starts open the choke a little.. When fully warmed up the choke should be fully open.
good luck
tim

Tags
carb , choke , cj5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in