5-port CTO? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-21-2021, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

5-port CTO?

I'm reading the Howell TBI install instructions for the 258, and for California it looks like I need a 5-port CTO, also known as a ported vacuum switch. Currently, my 84 has only a 2-port CTO which I have no reason to believe isn't factory. The trouble is, I can't find the 5-port CTO available for sale anywhere. Does anyone have a source for one, or a diagram of how to stick with the 2-port?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-21-2021, 02:34 PM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
They seem like they're available on amazon...but at 100 bucks kinda pricey.

Before you do the work on the 2 port, you might double check your CARB sticker. I can't remember off hand what it shows...but... If the diagram shows the 5 port you might not pass the visual inspection. A call to Howell might be in order. Ask for Troy.

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
()_)ŻŻŻŻ )_) 1984 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L-TBI, D30, AMC20, 4.5" OME lift
post #3 of 16 Old 06-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Those are pricey! Don't know if this one is correct -

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-pvs61

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 06:18 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

O'reilly has the same part for half the price as Summit.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...0/pvs61?pos=22

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 08:05 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Matt - I have noticed price jumps at Summit on the Valvoline VR1 oil & WIX oil filter I use for the 304 in my 5. Had them price match on those. Saved about $25. I always check prices on the items I order.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 09:09 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I hear you Hurricane. I guess price jumps are inevitable as these obsolete parts become more rare.

OP, I just reviewed the vacuum diagram in the Howell installation instructions. The CTO appears to trigger the EGR and Vapor canister. I see no reason why you couldn't use your existing 2-port CTO to do the same thing.

I've altered the Howell diagram to show what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 9.02.38 AM.jpg  

post #7 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 09:37 AM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I hear you Hurricane. I guess price jumps are inevitable as these obsolete parts become more rare.

OP, I just reviewed the vacuum diagram in the Howell installation instructions. The CTO appears to trigger the EGR and Vapor canister. I see no reason why you couldn't use your existing 2-port CTO to do the same thing.

I've altered the Howell diagram to show what I'm talking about.

Since the CARB sticker shows the 5 port anyone else think he might have trouble with the CA smog nazi's? I've been to shops who have turned me away and shops that are like "whatever we'll smog anything" and they ALWAYS stare at that sticker no which type of shop it is.

Not trying to throw a wrench and screw up someones progress on a project...I suppose if he was turned away a few times he could always buy the 5 port after the fact. Would be an easy thing to do after install.

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
post #8 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techlight View Post
Since the CARB sticker shows the 5 port anyone else think he might have trouble with the CA smog nazi's?
This is my concern, which is why I'd really just like to make it fully legit and correct with the 5-port valve. However, it seems they are impossible to get new these days. The Standard PVS61 part has been obsoleted, and nobody that shows one online actually has one. I called all the regular parts stores. Nobody can get it. So, does anyone have a recommendation of how this should be plumbed with a 2 or 3 port switch? It looks like from the factory, canister purge signal goes straight to ported vacuum, and the vacuum switch controls only the EGR. Would it work to keep it that way for the Howell install?
post #9 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 01:39 PM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
The way Matt described a few posts back will work. It won't affect how it runs or your tailpipe emissions. Worse case if they won't let you pass you can eventually get the part and replumb it. Wouldn't really be that hard to replumb. Your other options are to get a used one from a reputable dismantler.

I called Troy for you at Howell and he says it will be fine the way described above using the 2 port. He did say that the visual inspection might fail you, but it really just depends on the person inspecting the vehicle.

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
post #10 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

I called Troy too. Oops. Anyhow, after scouring the internet for two hours, I finally located a 5-port. We'll see if it shows up. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 02:36 PM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
I called Troy too. Oops. Anyhow, after scouring the internet for two hours, I finally located a 5-port. We'll see if it shows up. Thanks for the help everyone.
Lol... no worries. Troy's name is all over the internet. He'll probably get that same question 3 more times this week ...He's a great guy to talk to. Never seems to be in a rush and will spend the time on the phone with folks.

Hopefully you get the part in. You'll love the TBI...especially over the stock carb setup.

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
post #12 of 16 Old 06-22-2021, 03:57 PM
deepcreekjeep

I am also doing a Howell upgrade and currently planning for the job. I also couldn't find the pvs61. However I did find this five port alternative for $20, do y'all think it would work and pass visual inspection?

Not able to post a link yet on this forum but the PVS89 is easy to find on the O'Reilly's website
post #13 of 16 Old 06-23-2021, 06:55 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

What's odd is Howell claims you need the 5-port CTO for CA, but their diagram shows a 4-port.

Even more odd is why would CA require a 5-port, when a 2-port performs the exact same function, with less clutter.

I don't know how you left coast boys can live there.

Matt

post #14 of 16 Old 06-23-2021, 07:01 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Maybe it was just to reuse the original 5 port?

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #15 of 16 Old 06-23-2021, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcreekjeep View Post
I am also doing a Howell upgrade and currently planning for the job. I also couldn't find the pvs61. However I did find this five port alternative for $20, do y'all think it would work and pass visual inspection?

Not able to post a link yet on this forum but the PVS89 is easy to find on the O'Reilly's website
The PVS89 is a larger thread. I think you'll need a 1/2-NPT to 3/8-NPT reducer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in