4.0 w/ Fuel Pump On Rail - Primer Pump? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-25-2021, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

4.0 w/ Fuel Pump On Rail - Primer Pump?

Been running with a 4.0 swap for about 6-7 years now. Used an e2000 high pressure pump with a pre-filter on the frame with no issues.

Recently had to drop the tank twice. With this last time, I've not been able to get it to properly syphon fuel to the e2000. I'm also worried for the day I ever run out of gas and not able to start it again without crawling underneath.

Anyone use a low-pressure primer fuel pump in front of the high-pressure unit to help syphon fuel? If so, how well does it work and which one did you use?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-25-2021, 01:03 PM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
If I remember correctly, when I primed my E2000 pump for the first time after converting my fuel system for my 4.0 engine swap, I just wrapped a rag around my air chuck, to seal it at the gas filler opening, and then I pressurized the tank with air, and ran the pump at the same time and it primed.

I remember putting five gallons of hi test in it. I don’t remember having any issues priming the pump.

After it primed, I let the pump run while I bled air out of the fuel rail to fill the system with fuel, so I could do a leak check on my new fuel system.

It’s been working fine ever since.

Why do I own a CJ? I like to “Balance the wrench and the steering wheel”
1985 CJ-7 Sebring Red, White hardtop, 284 CID inline six (4.7) TF 999 auto
2020 JLU Black, Black hardtop, EcoDiesel, 35’s on 2” Mopar lift
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #3 of 3 Old 11-08-2021, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Small Update: Ran some tests and no matter what, I'd only get a small flow. Dropped the tank and found out I had a kinked or pinched fuel line. Re-inspected the fuel sender making sure all was good to go and put everything back.

Instead of trying to syphon the empty fuel line, I installed a Mr Gasket 12S pre-pump for the high pressure pump as I didn't want to worry about getting it going again if I ever ran out of fuel.

Worked great as it has a lot of lift and easily pulled fuel from the tank. No louder than the e2000 and all runs well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in