ElvisDaDog

Talking 360 Swap - Making it all fit nice

All,
Background:
  • I have a 1980 CJ7 with the 258, T176 and Dana 300
  • No body lift, 3" OME Suspension
  • Swapping in a 360
  • Will run an alternator and power steering pump
  • At the same time I'll be switching over to an AX15, new bell housing, and hydro clutch kit from Novak
  • Using the MORE Bombproof motor mounts
I've read a ton of threads here and otherwise, so believe I have most of the basics down. I do have a few key fitment questions however:

1. Hood clearance - is there enough room to mount an air gap intake manifold?
  2. Bracket and Pulleys - Was looking at CVF racing pulleys and alternator bracket. However they do not offer a power steering pulley it seems. What is the belt routing for my desired setup?
  3. Exhaust - Will the headerman 9200 series work with the Hydro slave cylinder? Based on what I've read to date this is questionable at best. I may have to pivot to the Patriot shorties.
  4. Radiator - Looking for suggestions here - want to run electric fans
Sure there will be more to come, but appreciate this as a start!

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

1. The Air Gap is only a 1/4" taller than the Performer that I'm using, so I think hood clearance will be fine. Of course, what carb, spacers/adaptors, and air cleaner you use will also affect hood clearance. I'm using a Q-jet with about 1" of spacers/adapters, and a factory air cleaner.

2. I can't help you with the CVF stuff. I'm using the Bulltear serpentine pulley kit, and alternator bracket.

3. No help here, either, sorry. I went with stock manifolds.

4. Same as #2 and #3, sorry. I went with a mechanical fan/clutch and Champion aluminum radiator. I have zero cooling problems.

I'm sure others will chime in, and hopefully be more help.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
RunStand6.jpg   MSDWires1.jpg  
NashvilleTJ likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 Old 12-09-2019, 11:15 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

Matt, that side pic showing your fan/shroud/radiator would probably be helpful, if you've got it handy.

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.

post #4 of 32 Old 12-09-2019, 11:21 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Watson View Post
Matt, that side pic showing your fan/shroud/radiator would probably be helpful, if you've got it handy.

Shawn

This one?
Attached Images

post #5 of 32 Old 12-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's a pic that shows fan clutch/radiator clearance before I installed the shroud. I've got about 1-1/2" clearance.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Radiator3.jpg  

post #6 of 32 Old 12-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

Yeah, those. It doesn't get any better than that.

Shawn

Live in a way that those who know you but don't know God will come to know God because they know you.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-09-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
ElvisDaDog

Shawn/Matt -

That is drool-worthy! Wow what a fantastic install - I have a lot to research to get it that clean. Thanks for taking the time, a few more questions then...

How much HP are you putting out with that motor? Just trying to see if I can get away with the same cooling system you are running.
What was your decision process to go wtih the serpentine belt ? Just trying to see what I didn't think through or take into account.

Thanks,
Steve
post #8 of 32 Old 12-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Shawn Watson

1983 CJ7 

IMO, that setup should cool far greater than an electric fan/s and you don't have to listen to them cycle on and off all the stinkin' time. You can use a full-time freewheel clutch (nice and quiet), a light-duty that will cycle if it starts getting hot or a heavy-duty that you'll likely never get to disengage plus you'll have several different fans to really dial things in if you need to: 3 blade, 5 blade, psycho 7 blade, etc.

Shawn

post #9 of 32 Old 12-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Elvis,

My 360 pulled 325/360 Hp/Torque on the dyno, which was more than I expected, since I went with a pretty mild cam (Lunati 250/256). I probably could have squeaked a few more ponies out of it by doing some porting work, but that was a little beyond my skill set.

As for the serpentine setup, I liked the idea of only one belt, and the Bulltear kit was soooo damn sexy, I couldn't resist.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. There's a wealth of knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Serptest1.jpg  

post #10 of 32 Old 12-10-2019, 02:19 PM
abark
1985 CJ7 

Matt, that is such a great looking build! I was just wondering where you found a shoe horn big enough to fit all that in there!
post #11 of 32 Old 12-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abark View Post
Matt, that is such a great looking build! I was just wondering where you found a shoe horn big enough to fit all that in there!
Thanks, it was a lot of fun, with some misery mixed in, but really wasn't a big deal. The 304 was offered in a CJ until 1981, IIRC. The 304 has the same exterior dimensions as the 360, and 401. So the space is there. You just need one different motor mount from the 258 on the passenger side, and 2-3 wires had to be extended on the 258 wiring harness, but that was simple. Otherwise, it was bolt up, plug and play.

An AMC V8 is by far the easiest swap for the I6 in a CJ. BTW, here's what I started with.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
GreasyPig5.jpg  

post #12 of 32 Old 12-11-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
ElvisDaDog

Hell of an improvement.

Looking forward to an easy swap. My last swap was tossing a TDi into a Samurai - this one looks way easier with more room and less electronics =)

Right now the biggest issue I am having is not having a full engine to start with. So need to get all of the ancillaries like pulleys, brackets, etc. Shocking how expensive the power steering bracket is on eBay. Certainly going to do some junk yard crawling this weekend.
post #13 of 32 Old 12-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Yeah, the power steering bracket is a hard and expensive find.

I think you might be surprised how expensive the entire build will be. I know I was. Whatever you do, don't keep a running tally like I did.

Matt

post #14 of 32 Old 12-11-2019, 11:03 AM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'd like to make a suggestion in regard to the hydraulic clutch setup. I would make a heat shield to protect the slave cylinder from exhaust heat. The biggest problem I hear with the hydraulic clutch setup is the o-rings failing in the slave cylinder and that is almost always due to heat and headers shed allot of heat in that area. I even wrapped the line running from the master to the slave cylinder with a heat shield sleeve.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #15 of 32 Old 12-11-2019, 01:26 PM
intheair

Garage
I have a 360 V8 in 1977 Wagoneer along with other parts or whole vehicle for sale. It runs- It doesn’t look much bigger than my 304 V8 in 74 renegade.
Attached Thumbnails
E563F9E5-BDE1-4A0D-82D8-71E666893F5B_1576092353758.jpg  
Attached Images

intheair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in