304 oil pan gasket - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
wrangler0415

2004 TJ Wrangler 

304 oil pan gasket

Hello there, just replaced the rear main seal on my 73 cj5 with a 304. While in the process of tightening the oil pan back on I blew out the cork gasket. What did I do wrong here? Cleaned both mating surfaces, applied permatex black to the block and stuck the cork gasket to it, then applied permatex to oil pan, got the pan on, snugged up all the bolts then started torquing to 84 inch pounds. That's when I blew out the gasket. Should I not have used the permatex? Does the permatex have to set up before torquing? I believe the torque spec for the oil pan is 84inch pounds, then again I got the spec off the internet 🤪. Any help would be great thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 07:05 AM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I clean each surface then apply Permatex gasket sealant ''High Tack'' to one side only, the pan and the gasket. You do not need to seal the block side. In fact things come apart easier if you use this method almost always.
Then after a few minutes apply the gasket to the pan wile installing the bolts in the bolt holes for alignment. Let it dry for some time, at least as long to allow the gasket to stay in place.
When you know it will cooperate, lift the pan having removed the alignment bolts and install.
Permatex makes some yellow stuff that works as well, they act somewhat like contact cement.
That is it.
Red Neck
post #3 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
wrangler0415

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Red Neck, I forgot to mention that I'm using the Felpro 4 piece pan gasket. I wish someone made a one piece gasket for the 304. Anything special I should do for the two rubber seals that go on the front and rear main bearing caps? Put them in first? I'm assuming just rtv where the cork meets the rubber? Probably not necessary to put any rtv on the rubber seals.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 04:34 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

You want to put the RTV in the corners or where things come together. I don't remember 100%! But I don't think you need to use adhesive ''High Tack'' on the rubber gaskets to hold them in place. Put a 1/4 '' film on each side of each piece then just a raisin or two size drop or so on that.
Be generous but just enough to get the job sealed.
You never want to find that RTV floating around inside an engine.

They do make one piece gaskets for that pan.
You will be fine if careful, If you did not open that set consider a return?
post #5 of 8 Old 11-12-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
wrangler0415

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I learned the hard way and wrecked the first Felpro cork gasket I put in yesterday. Got another 4 piece Felpro coming, it would be optimal to get that hard to find one piece gasket for the pan though. I just can't find it on the web anywhere.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-13-2019, 10:59 AM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

wrangler0415
Take your time and keep it clean!
I couldn't find a one piece gasket either! Sorry I was mistaken.

Every thing you do shapes your skills for the future and a jeep is a very good place to start.
Have fun with your jeep.
RN
post #7 of 8 Old 11-13-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
wrangler0415

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Red Neck, I think what I'm going to do is use the rubber seals for both front and back caps then put a bead of permatex on the rails of the pan, snug it up just a touch, let it sit for a couple days then torque it...I just don't know about them cork gaskets.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 03:53 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler0415 View Post
Thanks Red Neck, I think what I'm going to do is use the rubber seals for both front and back caps then put a bead of permatex on the rails of the pan, snug it up just a touch, let it sit for a couple days then torque it...I just don't know about them cork gaskets.
Usually just a dob where you need the RTV, read the instructions on the back!
Let it tack up and install.
Cork gaskets have been around for many years, some prefer them.
If yours does seep after a wile re-torque it properly and it will seal again.

I look over the threads once in a wile but don't live here, Hope I have been some help.
RN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in