Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

302 vacuum problem in cj5

694 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  79jeepnjeepers 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello i'm new at jeeps just recently purchased a project. 79 cj5 snatched blown 360 out put a 302 fuel injected in switched over to 4BBL carb. engine runs fine putn around yard is ok but goosn just a little to see it what it will do it cuts out the timing is set. Maybe a diagram would straightn it out?JEEPN JEEPERS WHAT DO i DO. TKS THOMAS

#2 ·
Man, could be a lot of things...check to see if the carb linkages all work right, and that gas shoots out when you open it up all the way....(the accelerator pump)
How is the ignition system? wired in good, grounded correctly, good plugs/wires?
Need more data to diagnose....:tea:

#3 ·
Thanks I got new plugs new wires distr. button. I have checked the linkage. But i'm concerned about on top of the carb (motorcraft) 4bbl. there is a linkage that has a arm to release gas to carb it has three settings it's set up like a rocker? While checking it today I noticed that it wasn't charging. I replaced alternator it was tested and bad. It has an external voltage regulator I guess I'll be getting a new one to check it.

#4 ·
It is hard to figure out possible carb problems if your ignition system isn't 100%...
Make sure you have good spark, and that your ign. advance mechanism is working.
Is that 4bbl M-craft carb used? Nearly every used carb I have ever tried had something wrong with it....and thats usually why they were removed or replaced in the first place.
The accelerator pump not working points to deeper carb issues...float hight, clogged filters, wrong gaskets if universal rebuild kit was used, etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.