3" Tubular bumper brackets - Can anyone MAKE? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

3" Tubular bumper brackets - Can anyone MAKE?

I need mounting brackets for this bumper and was wondering if anyone could help me by making them? I will pay you.

The manufacturer will NOT sell the brackets separately nor will any retail store. I was told to have them made. I couldn't even get product specs to have a shop make my own. Hmmm? So reaching out! So take a look at the images and let me know if its doable. I have zero idea of their dimensions so if anybody has the bumper (Rugged Ridge), can you measure the brackets for me and post them?

The 3rd image is of the EXACT brackets I need made.

I can provide additional details of the bumper mounts once someone chimes in. Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   Rear bumper brackets.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 07:16 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I just pulled some of these bumpers off of my jeep. I used one of the brackets in a tire carrier build, and the other was bent badly when I had to grind it off because the PO welded it on instead of bolting it on. I will try to measure the one good one that I have and post the measurements up here.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
I just pulled some of these bumpers off of my jeep. I used one of the brackets in a tire carrier build, and the other was bent badly when I had to grind it off because the PO welded it on instead of bolting it on. I will try to measure the one good one that I have and post the measurements up here.
Thanks!

I need the length, width, height (center piece), position of center metal, hole sizes, etc. It's a shame I simply can't buy the brackets. Grrrr!

post #4 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 07:54 PM
jchal3
1934 CJ7 

Get me the measurements and I'll make them...got a waterjet and lots of scrap steel laying around.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hoover7 likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Thanks jchal3,

As soon as someone chimes in with those measurements I will draw them out, compare them with the bolt holes on the Jeep and shoot you those numbers.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 11:00 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I will make a crude drawing of them. Should be able to get them measured Friday.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
I will make a crude drawing of them. Should be able to get them measured Friday.
Any progress MMG? You can simply send me the bracket and I can go off of that and send it back if you're not in immediate use of it. Thanks again! 258
post #8 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 10:52 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

I totally forgot about this. I will measure it tomorrow and post up the drawing.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-08-2019, 11:05 PM
CSP

The bracket is very basic.

Why not mock up the bumper with jackstands/milk crates/blocks of wood/buckets/whatever to where it would be when mounted and make some brackets of your own? It might not even take a mock mounting as simple as it is. Just take measurements from the bumper holes and do some math.

CAD (cardboard aided design) is very helpful for template building and hole layouts. I've built complete bumpers by mocking things up like this.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0831.jpg   IMG_0849.jpg  
post #10 of 16 Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

That is nice work from a 'CAD' design...

Maybe I need to upgrade my 'CAD' system on my designs.
It seems to be too slow and stiff and cutting/paste isn't working to well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I like how his bumper template has a barcode. That hot glue is great for projects like that. I used to think hot glue was only for women making holiday hobbies. I used it a few times to glue cardboard box flaps back shut. Then I saw the Corian countertop installer using it to hold stuff together while the glue sets. He used alcohol to break the bond when he wanted it to let go. I have used it for so many purposes including holding a straight edge to the concrete while I was cutting off a straight section. Hot glue is a great clamp when none other will fit.

The OP should make his own brackets if at all possible. He will learn a lot and he will have the satisfaction that he did it himself.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-09-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

- 9 1/2” (L) x 2 1/2” (W)
- 5” (end to center), 4 1/ 2” (other end to center)
- Center piece is 2 1/2” of protrusion
post #13 of 16 Old 10-09-2019, 07:41 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
- 9 1/2 (L) x 2 1/2 (W)
- 5 (end to center), 4 1/ 2 (other end to center)
- Center piece is 2 1/2 of protrusion
I'm not saying this in a negative way towards you but it amazes me that there are no shops near you that could make such a simple bracket for you. We'd have lost to the Japs and Germans if this were the way things were for getting it done back then.
97Mule likes this.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #14 of 16 Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

LOL, you would think, right?

Oddly, most shops don’t want to waste their time on such a small part. They want the Mother Load of a project. Trust me, I would not have asked on here otherwise!!!

You’re thinking of this from our (Jeep Forum) point of views. We get excited over small stuff like this but it’s not the case for everyone. That’s why I came on here and asked after nobody wanted to do it or came up with lame excuses like they didn’t have time, no equipment, wife was mad, etc. But no worries, it is what it is. I’m no longer in any hurry to get the damn thing mounted. Just thought I stumbled upon a good deal, that’s all. If it happens, it happens!!!

Shame on Rugged Ridge for simply not selling just the brackets!

Oh well! 🏻
post #15 of 16 Old 10-10-2019, 09:58 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Most of those bumper companies do hot make their own bumpers. They are imported from China and other parts of the world. They have no spare parts available unless they take them out of a complete bumper kit. I had a problem with a new rear bumper (different company) and they ended up sending me a replacement for free. I got a new welder a few months later and fixed the original defective bumper, kept the repaired one and sold the perfect replacement for $650.00. I asked for a replacement part for a factory defect and it was their choice to send me the free bumper. It paid for a little less than half of my new welder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in