2.5l gas smell and running hot! - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-14-2021, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Wayneayo

2.5l gas smell and running hot!

Guys,

Yesterday , I had trouble starting up my CJ but finally gut it up and running. when I was driving, I started to notice a gas smell that seemed unusual. After sitting idle in a school pickup line for about 10 minutes, I noticed the engine temp had creeped up from about 185 deg to between 205 and 210. When I got the jeep moving again, it would drop to around 200 but would go back up again while idling at a stop light. Any ideas that might help me locate the issue? I thought it might be the radiator because the engine would cool when the jeep was moving and airflow increased through the front grill but I cant find any leaks. Could it be the engine is running too lean and needs tuning?

I appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-14-2021, 08:36 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

According to the Technical Service Manual, normal operating temperature range is 195-218. So, you may be concerned about nothing.

Give us the details of your cooling system. Mechanical fan with clutch? Shroud? 2 or 3 row radiator? T-stat temp rating?

Gas smell is usually caused by the lack of a vapor canister to collect the fumes that vent from the fuel tank and carb.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 Old 06-14-2021, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Wayneayo

so after doing to digging around, I noticed that my reservoir recovery tank is completely empty and not even connected to the radiator.

The reason i mentioned the gas smell is because it hasn't done that before. If the jeep were missing a vapor canister, wouldnt that smell have been present before?

regarding the other items, I am unsure but I believe they are original parts including the fan and radiator. I will try and investigate and post a picture if that will help as well.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-14-2021, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Wayneayo

here are a couple pics I was able to get quickly. Based off of the last picture, I believe its either a 1 or two row radiator, but I'm unsure what type of fan this is. Also, I do see a vapor canister installed. One last thing, the tube coming out of the top of the radiator appears to go across the top of the radiator and down the side and then terminates into nothing...just open. Is that tube what should connect to the reservoir?

I apologize if these pictures are useless.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1790.jpg   IMG_1794.jpg   IMG_1795.jpg  

Last edited by Wayneayo; 06-14-2021 at 09:53 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 06-14-2021, 10:10 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Engine running and no wind might "Puddle you" in gas fumes.

Check you fuel lines everywhere-----You may have a real leak!----sometimes the tank will develop pin holes and leave dampness on the edges.

I don't have a canister, I sorta vent my tank stuff with a fuel filter high on the firewall so it can breathe either direction and no debris can get in.

Normally the complaint is fumes getting in Jeep---usually from the "Drafting effect" and the exhaust pipes shooting straight out of the back.

EZily solved forever by kicking your exhaust out of the side, behind the rear wheel and sticking out into the jet stream just beyond the tire.

See the location of my pipe.

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
rock climb 55 (2).jpg   sgtaehu.jpg  
post #6 of 19 Old 06-15-2021, 07:32 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

There goes Jeepfeller showing off his gravel again...

Filling out your profile would be helpful as we don't know the year of your jeep. My 1980 CJ with a 2.5 didn't have a reservoir, just an overflow tube off the top.

As to the gas smell, I'm with Jeepfeller, open it up and start looking for leaks from the carb intake all the way down to the gas tank.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-15-2021, 12:14 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
caseypotts

Same rock climbing as before---just flaunting the tailpipe this round

I've been too skeered to run through the rocks once more,

I'm presently looking for a lesser aggressive field to crawl over.

Been thinkin about getting multiple bags of aquarium gravel from Walmart and dumping it in my driveway---I could then get a color option to crawl through.

----JEEPFELLER
caseypotts likes this.
post #8 of 19 Old 06-15-2021, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wayneayo

i wanted to add a little more color to this to see if you guys had more valuable insight.

I was looking at the carb and noticed that I am missing the Idle adj screw. See Pic* Also, when i've driven the jeep for a bit and turn it off, I usually get a loud backfire out the tailpipe about 2-3 seconds after the ignition is turned off. I havent noticed any backfire while the jeep is running.

I had read on a couple posts that a mixture that's too lean can cause the engine to run hotter, it could also be the cause for the backfire, and it might be causing the gas smell if cylinders misfire and there is unburned fuel sent through the exhaust. As i mentioned in my original post, the engine seemed to heat up when idling but would come down a bit while driving. If the idle screw is missing, would this cause the carb to run leaner or richer during idle? If the answer to that is Leaner, could the issue be that I'm running too lean at idle and thus hotter, but when i press the throttle, the A/F mixture corrects itself and the engine returns to more normal temps?

If i need to replace the idle screw, do you guys know if the sizing for that screw is universal?

Jeep Stats:
1985 2.5l Base
4-speed Manual
post #9 of 19 Old 06-15-2021, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wayneayo

Here's where i believe the Idle screw should be. One more piece of good news....I went to start the jeep to monitor for leaks and I can't get it to turn over now....so theres that...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1797.jpg  

Last edited by Wayneayo; 06-15-2021 at 04:10 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-15-2021, 08:08 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Remove one of the 2 nearby screws while counting the number of turns coming out. Write this down.

See if it fits your empty hole

YES???!!!

Take it to Fastenal or another prominent fastener company and get one just like it!

Reinstall both.

How high is idle speed?

What is your timing number?

Have you really looked for vacuum leaks (usually while it's running)

2 teaspoons of gas down the carb and cranking does Exactly what kind of behavior?

Do you know how to set your mix screws, you idle, your timing CORRECTLY??? Do you have a portable vacuum gauge/ Tach (RPM) portable unit/ a timing gun

Not good if you are lost using them----a must to get things right!

Good thing you hooked up with me, you will soon be crunching over aquarium gravel with me in my driveway!

Send all symptoms as we go

If the spoons of fuel ain't working well

Do you have spark now?

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
SPARK TEST XXXXXX (3).jpg  
post #11 of 19 Old 06-16-2021, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Wayneayo

I will attempt to check the sparks asap.

When I say the jeep wont turn over, I mean it just cranks and cranks and never starts. This issue just started the day after i noticed the issues that I began this thread with. Prior to that, I would have to pump the gas a couple times and crank it a couple times and finally it would start up, run at a fairly low idle, and then speed up once it warmed up.

Regarding putting gas into the carb, you want me to pour the gas directly into the top opening that was covered by the air cleaner assembly...correct?
post #12 of 19 Old 06-16-2021, 09:11 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
CORRECT

But ONLY IF IT WON"T Start/ Run at all

(If it runs--it's getting gas already!)

Sorry it took so long---my "Rat" would not provide me a blinking cursor in the answer block so I could start answering---ODD---new batteries/ close to my tower with my rat and keyboard/ refreshed/ finally did a restart.

----JEEPFELLER
post #13 of 19 Old 06-16-2021, 09:57 AM
mudbfun
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneayo View Post
I will attempt to check the sparks asap.

When I say the jeep wont turn over, I mean it just cranks and cranks and never starts.

Start with the basics. Do you have spark? And is it getting gas?

Your fan is a clutch fan. If the clutch is going bad, or has gone bad, that could cause excessive heating while parked and idling. Try turning a fan blade. It should be snug and turn with some resistance. Also since the overflow tank is disconnected, check your coolant level.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-16-2021, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Wayneayo

Once my wife gets done with work i'll get her to help me check the spark, but one thing I did notice when i took out the first plug was the tip is very black, indicating a rich mixture correct? So going back to the missing idle screw, maybe no screw at all equates to a very rich mixture?
post #15 of 19 Old 06-16-2021, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Wayneayo

I turned the fan and it does turn but with only a slight resistance (certainly no audible resistance).

I disconnected and replaced each spark plug (maybe entirely redundant but just in case) and each seemed to have a spark when cranked. After replacing I cranked the jeep and it still will not start, just endlessly cranks.

I've included pictures of the old plugs. Its very odd but two seem dark, almost black (too rich?) and other two are gray (too lean?).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in