1986 Jeep CJ Idle Issue and gauge question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 06-12-2020, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
[email protected]
1986 CJ7 

1986 Jeep CJ Idle Issue and gauge question

Hi all,

I purchased my first CJ back in February and had no issues. Recently, though, it started to idle rough and would cut out. It would happen when I was coming to a stop or in neutral about to turn without stopping. Taking a look at the plugs, they had a white haze and I guessed I had been running lean. I thought it was maybe carb related, so I have been fooling around with that for the past few weeks. I was going to clean the venturi tubes, but found out today that the screws holding the choke plate on were rounded out. Any advice on how to get those out? While I had the air cleaner off and was playing around, I did manage to get the engine running better by giving the mixture screws about a quarter of a turn counter clockwise. I worry, though, that I may be just band-aiding the problem. BTW, what are the difference between the two screws?

I think my Jeep has already had the nutter bypass since I do not see a bunch of vacuum lines running under the hood. The carb is a Holey rebuild with a sticker saying it took place in 2012. What does the group think?

I also have a battery gauge that does not work. I would think this would be easy to fix, but I am not sure where to check for proper wire hook ups.

Also, the speedo will move as the jeep gets speed, but kind of "floats" around and does not show the speed. Is this the gear in the transfer case?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6725.jpg   IMG_6726.jpg   IMG_6727.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in