Nice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 405 Old 03-14-2020, 07:08 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

1985 CJ-7 “Time Traveler” journey continues

You are famous, Dude. Make sure they spell your name correctly on the royalty check....

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #303 of 405 Old 03-15-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
You are famous, Dude. Make sure they spell your name correctly on the royalty check....

Lol...I’m a legend in my own mind, but that’s about it. One more week and I’ll be seeing my surgeon, and starting to walk again. I’ve spent way too much time on the internet and YouTube. I think I have seen every episode of Practical Jokers too.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

post #304 of 405 Old 03-15-2020, 11:47 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

I share your frustration. I had a reaction to a med that resulted in painful muscles. I started working on a major Jeep project before my muscles recovered and ended up with a very painful knee. Spent too much time over the winter in my indoor adjustable angle high back racing seat a.k.a. recliner. We shared the same entertainment.

I am now in the midst of a long term physical therapy cycle. It turns out I couldn't extend my leg past 167*. The first week the cure was worse than the injury, but it got better and now after 3 weeks am at 175*. Enough about me.

After you see the doctor next week he is going send you to see the physical therapists who you'll believe got their training observing Medieval torture methods. Work hard and you'll eventually even learn to like them as you get better. During the initial interview establish you are the boss and insist that you choose the music while you are there and promise you'll leave the rest to the professionals. If you don't you'll end up listening to Hip Hop. Schedule your initial visits for early afternoons so you won't feel like doing anything for the rest of the day. Move the time up each week and by the third week you may feel like doing something the rest of the day.

Good luck and work hard and you will be rewarded!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #305 of 405 Old 03-18-2020, 02:33 PM
rgunn1

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for the story Ax... I'll be sure to stay tuned. I bought a 7 about two years ago and am just starting to work on it. I've enjoyed seeing your progress... and I went to my fist NFL game last year... Ravens at Steelers! Keep up the good work.
post #306 of 405 Old 03-24-2020, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I saw my surgeon Monday morning. The x-rays looked good, and my foot seems to have healed well, it kinda feels normal again. He wants me to start walking on it (in a walking boot) with two crutches for the next week. He wants me to use one one crutch the second week, and then no crutches with just the walking boot for several more weeks until I don’t need the walking boot anymore. So, I have my work cut out for me, because I start work after the second week of using the crutches. My desk is upstairs in the maintenance hangar, and it takes 34 steps to get up two flights of steps to my desk. That is quite the challenge, going from non- weight bearing for 12 weeks, to climbing steps in two weeks, I’ll try my best and see what happens.

I spent several hours out in the shop today, cleaning, sweeping, charging batteries, whatever I could do to keep busy for a while. So far walking with the crutches isn’t to bad, but it’s hard to carry anything on crutches, next week will be better with one free hand. As long as I don’t trip and fall trying to do too much.

I ordered some more miscellaneous parts for my engine, a YJ water pump, thermostat housing, the steel water line for the heater hose, and some tools and supplies. It’s supposed to rain tomorrow so I’ll probably spend more time in the shop, that will get me out of the house...Groundhog Day is almost over...lol.
Attached Thumbnails
F782B6AE-C99D-4684-8AC1-2C307AED7FCE.jpg  
bob4703 likes this.

post #307 of 405 Old 03-24-2020, 08:15 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Great to hear, Axe.

Build Thread:

post #308 of 405 Old 03-25-2020, 05:51 PM
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Maint. Hangar, if you don’t mind me asking, what do you do? Aircraft related?
post #309 of 405 Old 03-25-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I’ve been around aircraft all of my adult life, Coast Guard Helicopters for 24 years (structural mechanic), Army Training instructor for the mighty Chinook, and now working for the Navy. I started on the H-60 Seahawk line (sheet metal mechanic) but now I’m on the F18 side. Industrial Engineering Technician. Also a little general aviation experience, FAA Private pilot SEL and A&P mechanic.

I worked on and flew air crew on the H-65 for 20 years. Some called it the Plastic Fantastic, or Whistling ****can, but the French named it the Aerospatiale Dauphin.
Attached Images

GR-CJ likes this.

post #310 of 405 Old 03-25-2020, 08:42 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, that’s impressive Axe.

Build Thread:

post #311 of 405 Old 03-25-2020, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks, but It’s not really anything significant, it’s just what I did, or wanted to do when I was a kid...I was impressed one day when my Dad fell overboard while fishing on the Susquehanna flats when I was a kid. He was OK, and climbed back in the boat. It seemed like the next minute a big Coast Guard boat pulled along side and checked that we were OK. From that day forward I was destined to serve in the Coast Guard. With my natural inclination to do daring stunts (stupid stuff) I figured flying Search and Rescue in a helicopter was the only way to go. I’d do it over in a heartbeat if I could go back and relive my life over again. Helicopters Rock! But so does anything that can fly.

post #312 of 405 Old 03-26-2020, 04:51 AM
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

I was a 6057 Airframes Mechanic with VMFA (AW) 533 out of Beaufort. Been all over with the F/A18D. Got to hang a lot of ordnance that was shot in anger in a few messed up places in the 90s and early 2000s. Got out and got my A&P license up in Pittsburgh,PA. Worked Corporate Aircraft a good while then into the airlines. One point managed Line Maintenance at Greater Pittsburgh for US Airways. Then moved to Hangar Maintenance out at Columbus Intl. with Mesa Airlines. Got sick of getting laid off and moved to Caterpillar for a while, working my way through college. I work around C-130, C-5, P-3, F-16 and F-22 now in Engineering. With the acquisition of Sikorsky I’ve been around the H-60 a whole lot more. I know the Dauphin limitedly. Had to help with a phase inspection once. Pretty much been around aircraft my entire adult life as well. You aren’t over at the FRC are you?
Shawn
post #313 of 405 Old 03-26-2020, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Yes, FRCSE assigned to FRCMA Oceana. I also picked up a BS in aeronautical science along the way, from the Harvard of the sky, Embry Riddle. When I was stationed at Kodiak AK, I worked for one of the local Air Taxi Part 135 outfits. That was a lot of fun, that’s when I was able to get my PP license. Between working on the 206’s and Beavers, and flying my buddies 150 all around Kodiak Island, I had a great time. This was back in the mid nineties. I did the same when I transferred to North Bend OR. Worked at the local FBO, and flew the rental planes up and down the west Coast. From Northern CA to PA Washington, I flew the entire coast, both as a PP and a CG aircrew. Those were some good times!

post #314 of 405 Old 03-31-2020, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
The day before I had surgery on my foot my CJ-7 quit running. I had driven to to work that day, and when I came home I parked in front of my shop. Later that evening when I wanted to drive it into the shop it would not start. I had to push it in the shop. I figured it had to be something simple, and I would fix it after I could walk again.

So, that’s what I’ve been doing this week. I am cleared to walk with a boot and crutches. I can hobble around. I cleaned, inspected and reinstalled the spark plugs. They were VERY fouled with globs of buildup. I replaced the ignition coil and the Ignition control module and it still wouldn’t start. It had a spark, and fuel, and it even tried to fire, but it wouldn’t run. I checked that the rotor was pointing at #1 when on TDC, but it still wouldn’t start and run. I was baffled.

I finally got my neighbor to turn the key while I manipulated the throttle body, holding it wide open first then pumping the throttle like it was a carburetor and it eventually started to run, while I manipulated the throttle. It was a struggle to get it running, but it worked, after a long crank on the starter it sputtered to life. I held the RPM’s up high to keep it running long enough to clear itself out before it finally seemed to be running like normal. When I let off the throttle it idled like normal. After it was warmed up I turned it off, waited several seconds and then turned the key and it fired to life like normal.

Success! My CJ-7 runs better that ever...LOL. Time for a beer!
Attached Thumbnails
5FF92DA7-8857-422F-892D-80473D07BA72.jpg   EC3CD026-BE33-4EB8-B1B5-8C578DF2C43D.jpg   CF0050A3-AD66-407F-8342-8E786F01F92B.jpg   EE1F8C49-E54A-488F-B2A1-D7C371E4FA86.jpg   C41DFE68-1903-4BFD-9385-E13AF7444CA4.jpg  

post #315 of 405 Old 03-31-2020, 07:59 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Axe, I’m OK with the boot on your right foot, but what’s up with the footwear on the left?

Great to see you up and about.

Build Thread:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in