1984 CJ7 Wire Harness - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Allegan11

1984 CJ7 

1984 CJ7 Wire Harness

Greetings crew. I've looked around the forum for this and couldn't find much help. Hopefully we can get somewhere or you can direct me to where I need to go.

I am in the final throws of a complete frame-off restoration. I want to preference this with a "restoration" not a refurbished jeep. Everything that has been replaced, has been done with original parts or patches from original parts. 95% of it is OEM. The reason i say that is the 5% is a new HEI distributor (removing the coil, ford distributor, the computer and reducing the wire harness to just the necessities). The PO had done some an amazingly inventive renditions that I have had to restore, but one of the things he/she didn't touch was the wire harnesses (inside and out).

Essentially I don't need information of how you can modify or alter the wire harness/connectors. I want to make it original and will do what I need to make that happen. I will even use wire from the removed computer harness to keep it OEM.

I have 2 requests. One is to help identify what the wires are and what they should connect to and 2, how do I replace missing wires to factory style (splice/fuse box connection…etc).

To start with I'm working on the dash wire harness in the following pictures. There is no connection for the cigar lighter (love that fact that the manual calls it a cigar lighter), so either the wire was removed or was never there in the first place. When I cleaned up the wire harness and replaced at the tape, there was no evidence of wire removal, FYI.

First question: Can I assume that all 76-86 wire harnesses came with all of the connectors needed regardless of options or trim level?

Second Question: The first image is of the headlight switch connector. There is a black wire leading out of it to a plug connector. Is this the grounding wire for the courtesy lights? If not, what is it supposed to connect to?

Third question: The second and third attached photos are of the lone orange connector with this type of connection on the dash panel harness. It is factory spliced into 3 other wires (second image) that lead back to the fuse box and out to the engine bay harness or the fuse box it's self. I'm assuming this is the connector for the courtesy lights.

Attached Thumbnails
LightSwitchWire.jpg   OrangeWireSplice.jpg  
Attached Images

You can't fix stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Allegan11

1984 CJ7 

Attached is the wire harness diagram from the service manual along with a shot of the fuse box. If I understand correctly, is there supposed to be a splice from the main yellow wire that goes to the Voltage meter that drives all of the accessories? Or is it supposed to come from another wire in the a
Attached Thumbnails
20191107_083012.jpg   Pages from Manual_CJ-84to86.jpg  

You can't fix stupid
post #3 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 11:00 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegan11 View Post

Essentially I don't need information of how you can modify or alter the wire harness/connectors. I want to make it original and will do what I need to make that happen. I will even use wire from the removed computer harness to keep it OEM.

I have 2 requests. One is to help identify what the wires are and what they should connect to and 2, how do I replace missing wires to factory style (splice/fuse box connection…etc).
You can still buy the terminals if the plugs are in good shape. Most are called Packard 59 or Packard 56 for the larger terminals. You can pick up a box of them at NAPA or online.

You should read through Wiring 101 a forum member put together here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/b...arted-1340134/
Somewhere there is a PDF of the whole post with the pictures that are missing.

Quote:
To start with I'm working on the dash wire harness in the following pictures. There is no connection for the cigar lighter (love that fact that the manual calls it a cigar lighter), so either the wire was removed or was never there in the first place. When I cleaned up the wire harness and replaced at the tape, there was no evidence of wire removal, FYI.
The cigar connectors should be there in an stock harness. They looks like this:
Name:  ConnectorCigarLighter.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  54.3 KB

Quote:
First question: Can I assume that all 76-86 wire harnesses came with all of the connectors needed regardless of options or trim level?
No, Harness for the clock circuit,part of fog lights, Radio and Courtesy lights seemed to be left out.
Usually anything that used a separate harness are missing although the locations were the harness attaches to the stock harness ar left in place. Like Fog light plug, 4 cyl tach and air conditioning are available.

Quote:
Second Question: The first image is of the headlight switch connector. There is a black wire leading out of it to a plug connector. Is this the grounding wire for the courtesy lights? If not, what is it supposed to connect to?
Courtesy light. It grounds the courtesy light circuit

Quote:
Third question: The second and third attached photos are of the lone orange connector with this type of connection on the dash panel harness. It is factory spliced into 3 other wires (second image) that lead back to the fuse box and out to the engine bay harness or the fuse box it's self. I'm assuming this is the connector for the courtesy lights.
Could be the feed wire for the PRNDL light, Headlight Indicator (Square illuminated Label above headlight switch) or Wiper switch Indicator comes to mind.

Don't be surprised to find other unused connectors used for automatic transmission and cruise controls.

The schematics are a great help. You can get an 81 from here: http://oljeep.com/edge_81_tsm.html
There are links to the 84 manual elsewhere on this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 11:05 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Attached is the wire harness diagram from the service manual along with a shot of the fuse box. If I understand correctly, is there supposed to be a splice from the main yellow wire that goes to the Voltage meter that drives all of the accessories? Or is it supposed to come from another wire in the a
The yellow wire comes from the ignition switch to the fuse box. It's spiced some were to go to voltmeter.

You can spot the yellow wires in these pictures.

This is an 81 fuse box but the connections haven't changed much in 84 except for the removal of the turn signal flasher to the main harness.
backof84fusebox.jpg

Ignition switch
Name:  IgnitionSwtWiring1A.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  54.9 KB

I never tore my spare harness fully apart but I can do that if you need it.. Is should be pretty obvious on yours.

The way arrows point on the schmatic indicate if it's a plug on the fuse box or a connection (wire) Leading away from the fuse box.
Name:  Plug Annotations on schematic.png
Views: 186
Size:  125.3 KB

post #5 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Allegan11

1984 CJ7 

Great info. The fuse box labels are very helpful although I'm still trying to figure out how they connect everything. The schematic for the power sources seems to indicate that the power for the accessories (ACCY) all come from the main 10 gauge yellow line that leads to the Voltmeter. This would include the radio, cruise, and emissions maintenance lamp (whatever that is). Is this correct?

If this is the case, then it seems to contradict the backside image of the fusebox with the labels. I just don't know how to read this stuff. What am I missing here other than basic understanding of wiring and electricity?

You can't fix stupid
post #6 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Great info. The fuse box labels are very helpful although I'm still trying to figure out how they connect everything. The schematic for the power sources seems to indicate that the power for the accessories (ACCY) all come from the main 10 gauge yellow line that leads to the Voltmeter. This would include the radio, cruise, and emissions maintenance lamp (whatever that is). Is this correct?

It doesn't come from the voltmeter, it comes from the ignition switch.
The voltmeter is just on the branch of the circuit.

Everything in the red box is on the accessory circuit.

Name:  Accessory Fuses.png
Views: 183
Size:  126.2 KB

Quote:
If this is the case, then it seems to contradict the backside image of the fusebox with the labels. I just don't know how to read this stuff.

ignswitchandfusebox.jpg

Quote:
What am I missing here other than basic understanding of wiring and electricity?
Understanding AMC engineers?
Name:  fabricators-and-engineers-a-failure-to-communicate.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  63.8 KB

post #7 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Allegan11

1984 CJ7 

So it sounds like the correct way to do this is to splice in a red wire (16g or 14g) to the 10g yellow line that goes from the fuse box to the voltmeter. There is a factory taped spot on that line that will keep it clean. Then I run a ground line from the cigar lighter to the Cowl wall. Correct?

In the backside of the fuse box image the wire on the left hand side that goes to the back up lights and cigar lighter is a separate line from the yellow ignition line on the schematic. So it seems the schematic says something different than what is shown on the backside of the factory fuse box. Help me understand.

You can't fix stupid
post #8 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 02:29 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
So it sounds like the correct way to do this is to splice in a red wire (16g or 14g) to the 10g yellow line that goes from the fuse box to the voltmeter. There is a factory taped spot on that line that will keep it clean. Then I run a ground line from the cigar lighter to the Cowl wall. Correct?

In the backside of the fuse box image the wire on the left hand side that goes to the back up lights and cigar lighter is a separate line from the yellow ignition line on the schematic. So it seems the schematic says something different than what is shown on the backside of the factory fuse box. Help me understand.
Hmmm... I may be the one wrong here with the wire for the cigar lighter on an 81 vs 84.
Let me check and I'll get back to you later tonight.
I don't have an 81 schematic at work to compare so I'll check when I get home.
Maybe they made a change between this fuse box and the 84.

Actually I'm surprised that wire for the cigar lighter is not in your 84 harness.

Lay out your harness and take some pictures of all the connectors.
A Red wire with the 90* connector is only used in a couple of places I recall.
The Fuel Gauge and Cigar Lighter.

post #9 of 56 Old 11-07-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Allegan11

1984 CJ7 

OMG! Those images really help. I was having a hard time understanding how the fuse box was all connected, even by looking at it in real life. Seems like I need to clean the dust out of the back of mine so I can truly see everything.

Now, moving onto the engine bay wire harness. Mind you, I've taken out the computer and the ICM because of the HEI addition. In this image are 3 wires. The yellow circled one is what I had marked at the Intake Manifold heater line. Tell me if this is incorrect. The Red circled one i can't figure out and I can't find it on the wire chart of the CJ Wire diagram. The plug on the end looks like a sensor plug, but even when I took everything off, I couldn't figure out what it went to. It does connect back to the relay block. The Green circled one, I'm guessing could be the connector to the hood light although the plugs don't fit together.
Attached Thumbnails
engineBay.jpg  

You can't fix stupid
post #10 of 56 Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
OMG! Those images really help. I was having a hard time understanding how the fuse box was all connected, even by looking at it in real life. Seems like I need to clean the dust out of the back of mine so I can truly see everything.

Now, moving onto the engine bay wire harness. Mind you, I've taken out the computer and the ICM because of the HEI addition. In this image are 3 wires. The yellow circled one is what I had marked at the Intake Manifold heater line. Tell me if this is incorrect. The Red circled one i can't figure out and I can't find it on the wire chart of the CJ Wire diagram. The plug on the end looks like a sensor plug, but even when I took everything off, I couldn't figure out what it went to. It does connect back to the relay block. The Green circled one, I'm guessing could be the connector to the hood light although the plugs don't fit together.

enginebay.jpg
Yes, The connector in the yellow circle goes to the manifold heater from the relay.

I'm pretty sure the connector in the green circle is for the under hood light. Do you have the correct light? I don't have a hood light so I never looked for that connector.

The connector in the red circle in your picture could be for the temp sensor for the manifold heater. Is it a green wire?
manifold-sensors.jpg

The Manifold heater temp sensor is the green circle in the image I posted.
Lets not cross our circles now....

Here is how that whole manifold heater mess is connected:
84-86echokeandheater02.jpg

post #11 of 56 Old 11-11-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Allegan11

1984 CJ7 

thanks for the directions. As it turns out everything you have said was correct. I took apart every connector and cleaned up the metal, but when I put the connector housing back onto the orange wired ones, I put them on backwards, hence the "not fitting" part. I'm a moron. the green wire that we were previous discussing checks out as the temperature sensor wire, and that brings up a couple questions. One, is that green wire the connector that runs to the temp gauge in the speedometer or does it connect back to the computer (which has been removed)? Second the plug end is much larger than the pin connector on the sensor. I wonder if it has been stretched out and I just need to crimp it back into shape. I'll try that after I hear back on the temperature gauge question.

You can't fix stupid
post #12 of 56 Old 11-11-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Allegan11

1984 CJ7 

Now I need to move onto something else. the Headlight harness. The image is of the right side of the engine fuse box wire harness that controls the headlights, parking lights, side markers, brake proportioning valve, and the horn. All of these components are hooked up and accounted for except the orange wire. It's the only wire that doesn't lead to anything. It's also long enough to reach the front grill and be tucked inside. Have any idea what it goes to?
Attached Thumbnails
20191107_083703.jpg   20191106_223923.jpg  

You can't fix stupid
post #13 of 56 Old 11-11-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Allegan11

1984 CJ7 

Here is the wire harness diagram for this particular component. The space between 57B (Brake warning sensor) and 30 (washer tank pump) is not supposed to have anything there. But there is an orange 14g wire coming from it. All of the insulation is factory so it came this way, apparently. Fog Lamp option maybe?

You can't fix stupid
post #14 of 56 Old 11-12-2019, 04:15 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Here is the wire harness diagram for this particular component. The space between 57B (Brake warning sensor) and 30 (washer tank pump) is not supposed to have anything there. But there is an orange 14g wire coming from it. All of the insulation is factory so it came this way, apparently. Fog Lamp option maybe?

Yes, It's probably the fog light option.

As you probably noticed, there is a plug and already in the internal harness for a switch for the foglights.

post #15 of 56 Old 11-12-2019, 04:25 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
thanks for the directions. As it turns out everything you have said was correct. I took apart every connector and cleaned up the metal, but when I put the connector housing back onto the orange wired ones, I put them on backwards, hence the "not fitting" part. I'm a moron. the green wire that we were previous discussing checks out as the temperature sensor wire, and that brings up a couple questions. One, is that green wire the connector that runs to the temp gauge in the speedometer or does it connect back to the computer (which has been removed)? Second the plug end is much larger than the pin connector on the sensor. I wonder if it has been stretched out and I just need to crimp it back into shape. I'll try that after I hear back on the temperature gauge question.
The green wire that connects to the temperature switch on the manifold goes back to the relay that controls the manifold heater.

The relay is controlled by two switches. The first one is the oil pressure switch. That supplies power to the relay. The second switch, on the intake manifold with the green wire, turns OFF the manifold heater relay, shutting off the manifold heater once the water temperature reaches 160*F

It doesn't go to either the speedometer or the computer.

The wire for the temperature meter in the speedometer is a violet wire going to a temperature sensor on the top back of the head right above the rear exhaust port.

sensor_coolant_temp_1.jpg

The wires (2ea) for the temp sensor for the computer are on the front part of the manifold.

It's circled in blue in this picture.

Tags
courtesy lights , headlight switch , wire harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in