1983 CJ7 Renegade Restomod - JeepForum.com
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 01-01-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Fsutemplar
Registered User
 
Fsutemplar's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Garage
1983 CJ7 Renegade Restomod

Well, Iíve finally made a profile and I guess itís time to share my progress after using a lot of info from the Forum so far. Iím pretty excited since Iím going to get the Jeep back soon with paint and decals - finally. Itís been almost 2 years to get here including moving to a rental house for a period while building my new house. Hereís a few progress pictures from start to today.

Attached Thumbnails
FB9C57AD-F96C-4D1D-9522-DDC52204EED6.jpg   F21A6C8E-6F7B-4ACA-A759-F2655E86678D.jpg   9165028F-50E1-47F5-861E-7A6638695A28.jpg   B1288FBB-6D0F-4635-9EA9-ACBCBE660355.jpg   2BDE80DB-55F6-4FB9-85D7-DD3BE038412D.jpg  

B692A334-0388-44B5-B312-48C989A7AAC6.jpg   3E0A7A16-A4B6-4E1C-8D16-94459718DE09.jpg   14192C35-AAC4-43B9-99BA-18EFFE56252A.jpg   6A7C09EA-3446-4A06-8635-74B34EB85A15.jpg   83DB8829-8C72-4995-9804-A0703E5A7D90.jpg  

DougE likes this.
Fsutemplar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 01-01-2020, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Fsutemplar
Registered User
 
Fsutemplar's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Garage
And hereís a few from today. Iím putting half doors from a YJ on it. Right now, Iím finishing up my tear down and restore of my heater box. Eager to get the Jeep back from body/paint.
Attached Thumbnails
DE2EC116-ECEC-4AA2-834E-30D1DBAE5631.jpg   3B5D788B-2B5A-4F6D-9361-9807FB6A07DA.jpg   2B395367-D6B3-4294-9D14-A9419F44F79E.jpg   193352AC-4573-4ED2-80DC-68673FA387F2.jpg   95F2FCFE-5794-4DD1-A237-B262EFFFF577.jpg  

TerryHowe and DougE like this.
Fsutemplar is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 01-01-2020, 05:57 PM
lovett86
Registered User
 
lovett86's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: brantford
Posts: 1,700
Looks great so far. Keep up the good work.

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 Old 01-02-2020, 12:34 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler
 
BagusJeep's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali
Posts: 7,243
Looking good!!!!

When yous ay restomod, what do you mean? It seems to be only slightly different to stock, the doors and carb.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 01-02-2020, 06:04 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler
 
keith460's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 8,512
Nice looking late model 83'

I say late 1983 due to the fact it has the bead on the windshield frame that the early 83's did not have. Plus, never a Renegade model, sorry. It is a base model CJ-7. Does not have holes in the tub for rocker moldings that were standard on the Renegade package. Renegade decal is not correct for 1983 either.

.
1984 CJ-7 Renegade
__________________
keith460 is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 01-02-2020, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Fsutemplar
Registered User
 
Fsutemplar's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Looking good!!!!

When yous ay restomod, what do you mean? It seems to be only slightly different to stock, the doors and carb.
A few upgrades here and there, but I'm trying to remain as much stock as possible.
Fsutemplar is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 01-02-2020, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Fsutemplar
Registered User
 
Fsutemplar's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Nice looking late model 83'

I say late 1983 due to the fact it has the bead on the windshield frame that the early 83's did not have. Plus, never a Renegade model, sorry. It is a base model CJ-7. Does not have holes in the tub for rocker moldings that were standard on the Renegade package. Renegade decal is not correct for 1983 either.
Good to know on the specifics Keith, by no means an expert here. Thanks.

Would love to hear what else I'll need to get close to bringing it towards a Renegade as I've got the decals and some other components already. Going with Nutmeg interior. Anyone have a Nutmeg roll bar cover or know folks that make them??? I've looked around a good bit and definitely hard to find.
Fsutemplar is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 01-02-2020, 07:54 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler
 
keith460's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 8,512
It doesn't cover everything but Page 6 will tell you what came with a Renegade for 1983 here: http://www.82jambo.com/documents/Bro...%20Catalog.pdf


Good luck trying to find Nutmeg interior parts, not easy. Tan is more available in aftermarket.
Is that Jamaican beige exterior color?
Fsutemplar likes this.

.
1984 CJ-7 Renegade
__________________
keith460 is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 01-02-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Fsutemplar
Registered User
 
Fsutemplar's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
It doesn't cover everything but Page 6 will tell you what came with a Renegade for 1983 here: http://www.82jambo.com/documents/Bro...%20Catalog.pdf


Good luck trying to find Nutmeg interior parts, not easy. Tan is more available in aftermarket.
Is that Jamaican beige exterior color?
Yes, it's Jamaican Beige
Fsutemplar is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 01-02-2020, 08:07 PM
backupoffmefoo
Registered User
 
backupoffmefoo's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Saratoga Springs
Posts: 320
Garage
Great work. I love pics of a frame up restore. Keep em coming.
Fsutemplar likes this.

I want my two dollars!
backupoffmefoo is online now  
post #11 of 36 Old 01-02-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Fsutemplar
Registered User
 
Fsutemplar's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Garage
Hereís just a few more from along the journey
Attached Thumbnails
F62C8C6D-15AB-4444-968B-D559560CD6A2.jpg   FB9B53A7-3B03-497B-A337-677AF8CA3413.jpg   1EAA7D5E-2D9E-4D03-90FF-C96DBB46F40A.jpg   C1A0F6F3-DD78-4FB6-80EE-8CA504F68B35.jpg   F284A017-8267-4907-B7AF-1C7A225517AA.jpg  

7E2F0773-DA31-4F45-A567-B515D4B422B8.jpg   F6DD7103-84EE-4C9F-B556-A955BD8AF111.jpg   531C3F68-BA8B-44DF-9B30-BE7D4E1FAD91.jpg  
Fsutemplar is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 01-04-2020, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Fsutemplar
Registered User
 
Fsutemplar's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
It doesn't cover everything but Page 6 will tell you what came with a Renegade for 1983 here: http://www.82jambo.com/documents/Bro...%20Catalog.pdf


Good luck trying to find Nutmeg interior parts, not easy. Tan is more available in aftermarket.
Is that Jamaican beige exterior color?
Keith (or anyone),

Since Nutmeg is hard to find do you suggest getting tan roll bar covers and just prep, paint, etc using SEM fabric paint to go Nutmeg?

Same for bikini tops?
Fsutemplar is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 01-04-2020, 05:18 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler
 
keith460's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 8,512
I couldn't tell you, haven't had any experience using fabric paint.

.
1984 CJ-7 Renegade
__________________
keith460 is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 01-04-2020, 09:47 PM
backupoffmefoo
Registered User
 
backupoffmefoo's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Saratoga Springs
Posts: 320
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsutemplar View Post
Keith (or anyone),

Since Nutmeg is hard to find do you suggest getting tan roll bar covers and just prep, paint, etc using SEM fabric paint to go Nutmeg?

Same for bikini tops?
I painted my softop black (From gray) with Fabric paint about 4 years ago. (It's a little dirty in the pic) The sliders were originally black and they matched up pretty well. It has held up well to weather but I'm not sure how nice it would look on interior parts. I only use my softop for a few weeks in the spring/fall while the weather is unpredictable.

I've used the same fabric paint on trail covers and bikini tops. It does well but you have to clean the fabric really well before you paint. However, I'm not sure it will have the show finish you are looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep_Soft_top.jpg  
Rsb201 likes this.

I want my two dollars!
backupoffmefoo is online now  
post #15 of 36 Old 01-05-2020, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Fsutemplar
Registered User
 
Fsutemplar's Avatar
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by backupoffmefoo View Post
I painted my softop black (From gray) with Fabric paint about 4 years ago. (It's a little dirty in the pic) The sliders were originally black and they matched up pretty well. It has held up well to weather but I'm not sure how nice it would look on interior parts. I only use my softop for a few weeks in the spring/fall while the weather is unpredictable.

I've used the same fabric paint on trail covers and bikini tops. It does well but you have to clean the fabric really well before you paint. However, I'm not sure it will have the show finish you are looking for.
Thanks, which paint brand did you use? Use prep spray or compound also beyond cleaning?
Fsutemplar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome