• 2 Post By uptillnow
  • 4 Post By keith460
  • 1 Post By Ken4444
  • 2 Post By Ernestwt1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-27-2020, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Ernestwt1

1983 CJ7 Carburetor issues

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I joined because I just purchased a 1983 CJ7 with a 258 engine. The former owner has had issues with the carburetor and drove it very little. He tried unsuccessfully to rebuild the carb himself with poor results. That's why he sold it. My question is, is this carb worth messing with or should I just buy a new replacement? I have looked at new carbs and I see this one has electronic feedback. I see that they offer the same carb without electronic feedback. Would the carb without electronic feedback work on this engine or is this just going to create more problems? Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
Jeep carb.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-27-2020, 05:03 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Ernestwt1,
This is a can of worms. There are a few options for you:

1. Rebuilding the Carter BBD can be done reasonably inexpensively, follow some specific guide lines and many many here like them very much. You could buy a rebuilt, from a non-feedback as you indicated.

2. The Carter BBD is a two barrel, synchronized with both barrels opening at the same time. This is the size carb you want to replace it with. There is the Motorcraft 2100 or 2150, used with adapters and linkage. Many guys say these are the best, but used and rebuilt.

3. I use and recommend the Weber K551-38. This is NEW, virtually the same size as your BBD, and many many on this forum can "expertly" help you tune it and overcome any vacuum issues you may run into.

There will be many opinions coming, stand by.

UTN
John Strenk and Matt1981CJ7 like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 03-28-2020, 04:40 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The stock Carter BBD on the 1983-86 model years CJ, that have the Stepper Motor, were always problematic at some point in their operation if not maintained and cleaned on a regular basis. Rebuilding can be done if you are confident with the inner workings of a carburetor. But, you may have other issues with the Fuel Feedback System that your not familiar with. Read up on the popular Nutter Bypass, google that, and determine if you are able to diagnose further.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to omit the Carter BBD with the Stepper Motor and opt out for an earlier version Carter BBD that does not have the Stepper Motor. That's what I did and found an OEM, NOS 1980 Carter BBD for my 1984 258 engine. Simple and works very well and was 100% bolt-on.
Sometimes just cleaning out the Idle Tubes on the Carter BBD can bring back the performance it once had.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 11 Old 03-28-2020, 06:55 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI I'd like to start with What is it actually doing? maybe its not the carb.. could be fuel related (filter, Pump, or choke not opening?) or timing related..
good luck
tim
post #5 of 11 Old 04-01-2020, 01:18 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

1983 was a CEC computer controlled model that has a computer under the dash, sensors and interfaces with the ignition box and the carb. It also has a lot of hoses. It is a mess under your hood, that is not what you would expect to see from a fully functioning setup. I can see an open port on a valve.

Whilst the PO may have thought it was the carb, that is just guessing.

I suggest you start off by getting the FSM for 1983 and going through the whole system checking the hoses are all good (or replace, they are cheap and tend to leak), the valves are working, the computer is powered up and it is going to pass the function test in the FSM.

If it is not going to pass and you are allowed to modify in your state you may find it easier to remove the system, rewire the ignition, replumb, change the advance head and disconnect the feedback on the carb, basically to go back to 1981. If your carb does not have play in the throttle shaft or missing parts it should be easy to rebuild into a well functioning carb, the rebuild kit is less than $20 plus carb cleaner.

Keeping the old carb will allow you to keep the thermostatic air cleaner.

All new service parts would also be a good idea, and Teamrush upgrade the distributor cap and leads.

A days work and you may get it running sweet again,

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2020, 08:07 PM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Buy a new "genuine" Weber 38 from Redline and be done with it. Don't waste time and money on the Carter or a Motorcraft 2100/2150. Ask me how I know.
uptillnow likes this.

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 11 Old 04-03-2020, 12:49 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Buy a new "genuine" Weber 38 from Redline and be done with it. Don't waste time and money on the Carter or a Motorcraft 2100/2150. Ask me how I know.
I also have a couple of Weber 38s to replace a BBD and a Weber 44 from a Ferrari Dino, but I hve also rebuilt a BBD for a 258 and it does work.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 11 Old 04-03-2020, 07:45 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

A new or expertly rebuilt carb will always run better than what you got there.

But as others have pointed out. It's usually not just one thing that's bad.

Poor ignition, cracked vacuum hoses, dead sensors on the CPU.

I blames my YF for years until I upgraded my distibutor and and then I was finally able to adjust my carb so it worked correctly.

I put on a rebuilt BBD and loved it for the past few years. Starts every time, idles great and has more power than the YF.

The 83 may or my not have a CPU. CA started in 82 I think, by 84 all had them under the dash. If it does have a CPU, and the fact you have a stepper moor on it suggests that) , it could be mounted on the fender or under the dash.
Start planning on doing a 'nutter' on it to eliminate the computer if your state allows that.

Then I'd look at the vacuum hoses. And replace any hat are cracked. If you do eliminate the cpu then there will be more hoses to eliminate.

Then think about the ignition next. You can do a GM upgrade or a team rush upgrade.
I did the Team Rush upgrade with a Ford Ecore ignition coil and I have been happy with the results.

Then think about the carb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #9 of 11 Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
I also have a couple of Weber 38s to replace a BBD and a Weber 44 from a Ferrari Dino, but I hve also rebuilt a BBD for a 258 and it does work.
I agree. If the Carter BBD worked well when these Jeeps were new, then they can be made to work today. My point was that for a shade-tree mechanic, a part-time wrencher, or a first time old vehicle enthusiast, I would recommend a new Weber 38 to save time, frustration, and potentially money. As John points out below, there are plenty of other potential problems that need to be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
But as others have pointed out. It's usually not just one thing that's bad.
Poor ignition, cracked vacuum hoses, dead sensors on the CPU.
Then I'd look at the vacuum hoses. And replace any hat are cracked.
Then think about the ignition next. You can do a GM upgrade or a team rush upgrade.
I did the Team Rush upgrade with a Ford Ecore ignition coil and I have been happy with the results.
Then think about the carb.
All excellent points. People are often quick to seek a single fix-all solution for old vehicles, and fail to realize that everything under the hood works as a system and everything has to be right in order for the engine to run well. So even a brand new carburetor won't make the engine run well if the ignition is weak and the vacuum system is leaking. The OP may know this but it's a good reminder for other folks.

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 11 Old 04-03-2020, 08:50 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

its been close to a week since the original poster , posted this with no response to any one?? maybe he's working on it but it would be nice to have some kind of response?? to see where he/she is at..
good luck
tim
post #11 of 11 Old 04-03-2020, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Ernestwt1

Hey guys, sorry for the slow reply. I was having password or memory issues! I am going to go ahead and do the Nutter bypass to see if this wakes the thing up. If not I probably go ahead and install a carb kit as I have spent $20 on more foolish things than this. So far I love this site, I was not expecting as much or as good of feedback as I got. Thanks to you all, I do appreciate the help as this Jeep stuff is all new to me. Thanks again, be safe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in