1982 CJ-7 Rebuild - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-07-2020, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
1982-CJ7 Toby

1982 CJ-7 Rebuild

Hey Folks, I'm new here.

I have a 1982 CJ7 in the family and just starting to get to it and do the re-build and I would like to ask you guys for advice.
The car is sitting in South Florida in a garage for 8+ years and the body and frame is in great shape, minor rust but I will have to re- do basically all the mechanics.
So I would like to ask you guys.

1. Does anyone know a good jeep restore shop in the South Florida region ( Jupiter and south up to Homestead, Florida)
2. Any recommendation on a crate engine, I do not need a big block, something between 3 and 4.5 L, crate engine, I do NOT want to restore the old one since it is too much time
3. Need new transmission
4. Need entire new brake set for front and back
5. Need new differential
6. New shocks front and back
7. New front fiberglass frame including window
8. Also it appears that the back axle has looked up.

Lets start with this. I will get some better pictures, when I get it to the front of the garage ;-)

I know everyone has different opinion and preference but any help with recommendations, links, suggestions would be highly appreciated on where to get material and what is good in pricing and quality.
I would like to bring it to a shop and have them do the restoration and I supply the majority of the parts.

Thanks for your input...

Attached Thumbnails
1982 JEEP PIC (2).jpg   IMG-20200706-WA0009.jpg   IMG-20200706-WA0011.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-07-2020, 07:48 PM
abernut

1985 CJ7 

I am up in Jacksonville. A few years back I looked around for shops that would do the rebuild for me. I honestly couldn't find anyone. Last month I made the decision to do it on my own. I've got her stripped down to the frame and just completed all the frame work (cleaning, de-rusting, new rear cross-member, etc...) It's definitely going to be a long process but one I hope to learn a lot from.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2020, 08:33 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Has the back axle locked up or is it the e-brake seizing on? Very common on long term parked jeeps.

Are you keeping the D300 transfer box and axles? If so, you have a choice of compatbleand adaptable transmissions and engines. Novak transmissions have a lot of info on jeep conversons.

The more common and hence cheaper conversions are Chevy, V8 or V6. All parts are available to make them fit. This is cheaper than putting in a later 4.0HO engine. The only cheaper route is to have your existing engine remanufactured.

You do not say what your current trans is or why it needs replacing. Again Novak is a great source of data. If you are going for more power you may find a 5 speed with its overdrive is a good choice.

Novak could supply an entire drivetrain for you. with their experience the install would be staightforward. If you want fuel injection you would also need to sort out the tank and pumps, perhaps a new tank with in-tank pump would be the easiest way to go.

If your rear axle is real bad and you are looking to increase power you may consider just swapping it for a new Dana 44. labour charges to rebuild your axle and brakes may make swapping in a new axle almost reasonable in cost.

Those front brakes look good, the master could be leaking fluid out of the back and if that is getting to the booster, it might not hold vacuum. A good upgrade would be to change to a dual diaphragm booster but you need to check clearances to a new engine. Once you have fixed on the engine there will be lots of examples on this Forum to study.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in