1981 Kentucky CJ7 build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 301 Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 PM
C.Honeycutt

1981 Kentucky CJ7 build

[QUOTE=jchal3;40757179]Here is a pic of the setup...you can see two shieves on the ps and three on the cam and fan.... see how lose that second belt is, it's the same make and model

I have the same exact motor in my CJ7. It is two belts and they are not the same belt size. One is slightly different length. If you look up the motor or jeep and include the 2-3 items that run off each belt. It will show you two separate belts. Just depends on what all accessories you have. If you need me to I can get around to measuring mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 301 Old 10-08-2019, 07:34 PM
frankp
1978 CJ5 

Good evening, When you go to the parts store ask for matching number belts. (They come from the same batch run.) Just because they are the same stock number or part number does not mean they are the same. Belts cut from the same run will be the same so the batch number needs to be the same (matching) not just the number or size of the belt. I say this based on my previous job as a Napa parts store manger. But that was also 30 years ago. I hope this helps. Of course things could have changed in 30 years.
post #33 of 301 Old 10-08-2019, 10:50 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

Holy body lift!!! I would remove that immediately. Should improve the ride, and make it way more stable just replacing it.

post #34 of 301 Old 10-09-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
jchal3
1934 CJ7 

[quote=C.Honeycutt;40761823]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchal3 View Post
Here is a pic of the setup...you can see two shieves on the ps and three on the cam and fan.... see how lose that second belt is, it's the same make and model

I have the same exact motor in my CJ7. It is two belts and they are not the same belt size. One is slightly different length. If you look up the motor or jeep and include the 2-3 items that run off each belt. It will show you two separate belts. Just depends on what all accessories you have. If you need me to I can get around to measuring mine.
Thanks. I looked on the TSM from the ol jeep we site and it looks like the belt configuration contained two accessories. One is the ac compressor, and I'm not sure what the other was. That second belt ran other accessories I dont have, so I'm just going to pull it off for now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #35 of 301 Old 10-09-2019, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
jchal3
1934 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
Holy body lift!!! I would remove that immediately. Should improve the ride, and make it way more stable just replacing it.
Yeah, the body lift is gonna go, just working on other stuff right now though.

post #36 of 301 Old 10-11-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
jchal3
1934 CJ7 

Any of you guys know how to tell what the gear ratio of this rear end is from these part numbers? Its an amc 20

post #37 of 301 Old 10-11-2019, 02:19 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Since you have the cover off, Count the number of teeth on the pinion gear and count the number of teeth on the ring gear. Divide the ring gear teeth number by the number of teeth on the pinion. The result is your gear ratio.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #38 of 301 Old 10-11-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
jchal3
1934 CJ7 

I was hoping to take a short cut...the jeep is not here with me right now ha.

post #39 of 301 Old 10-11-2019, 04:11 PM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I got to spend a little time with the CJ today. A friend of mine helped me reset the timing, an we were able to get her idling normal and as far as I could tell sounding pretty good.

Since I jumped that hurdle I decided to put her on the lift and check out the "axle issue". I was told when I got it that one of the amc axles had stripped. I decided to have a look to confirm the problem before purchasing new axles. I couldnt get the current axles out to have a look. I did a YouTube search to find a good video of how these things come out, but didnt see anything that made me feel good about what I'm doing. Do you guys have any links to some sort of instruction to pull these axles?

Here's some pictures of the current situation haha

Probably stating the obvious here but right now you have an open diff

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #40 of 301 Old 10-11-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
jchal3
1934 CJ7 

I ran into some parts deals tonight...I was in search of a one piece axle kit, and ended up with all kinds of stuff. The list follows

*Hard top
*Both rear one piece axles used
*NIB Yukon bearings and hardware kits for both
*NIB yukon ring and pinion 4.88 gears for the amc 20 rear
*NIB yukon rebuild hardware kit for the amc 20 rear
*NIB yukon rebuild kit for Dana 30
*New headlight kit
*All new dash lights
*New steering shaft coupler.

I wish the matching 4.88 gear set was there for the front, but it wasnt..

Got it all for 225. I think it was a good deal, but I'm not sure.

IF NOTHING ELSE, THERE SHOULD BE SOME BUILD PROGRESS COMING....ILL STOCK UP THE FRIDGE

post #41 of 301 Old 10-11-2019, 09:06 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hell, if the hardtop is in any kind of decent shape, you more than covered your price of admission.

Nice score!

Hoss

post #42 of 301 Old 10-12-2019, 10:41 AM
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Hell, if the hardtop is in any kind of decent shape, you more than covered your price of admission.

Nice score!

Hoss
Yep

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
post #43 of 301 Old 10-12-2019, 11:33 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Any of you guys know how to tell what the gear ratio of this rear end is from these part numbers? Its an amc 20

With the ring gear being that thin and being offset as far left in the housing as it is, it's probably 2.73 ratio but counting gear teeth is the only way to be sure. There should also be a ratio tag attached to front diff cover bolts.
post #44 of 301 Old 10-12-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
jchal3
1934 CJ7 

I lifted it up and counted the teeth in the differential today... it is in fact a 2.73. So here lies the question. I an getting ready to install a one piece axle kit. I have everything I need here to put 4.88 gears in the rear end, and a rebuild kit for the front, but no matching gears yet.

I'm not sure I have the skill to put in the ring and pinion in the rear end, and I'm not sure I can afford to have someone do it....how difficult a job is it? Is it worth just waiting to put the axles in until the entire rear end overhaul can be completed??

post #45 of 301 Old 10-12-2019, 12:57 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Others opinions may vary, but I am of the 'if you have to ask how to you probably can't do it' when it comes to setting gears and backlash.

It's not magic, but there's a definite skill to it.

Do you want to run 4.88's? If so, i'd buy the front R&P, and do it once, the right way.

Hoss

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in