1980 Jeep CJ5 rebuild/project. Whatís missing from this engine? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lecho

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-04-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Lecho
1980 CJ5 

Cj 1980 Jeep CJ5 rebuild/project. Whatís missing from this engine?

Hi everyone, thanks for having this wonderful community. My Jeep-obsessed wife and I are working on a 1980 Jeep CJ5 that we were fortunate to luck into. We are (very) amateur mechanics who do our own repair and maintenance on all of our cars. This is our first Jeep and first time working on any vehicle older than a 2003 model so we have a lot to learn. The Jeep does not currently run, and we are working through several obvious issues including fuel delivery and electrical issues. The engine and transmission were replaced prior and are fully operational. We removed the fuel tank and replaced the delivery system from tank to pump.

I am attaching some pictures I took yesterday. Other than the obvious air filter, is there anything missing or obviously necessary to replace under the hood? The fuel pump is new, I rebuilt the carburetor, and have been replacing the hoses/lines as we go. Next up is the starter. I donít like the looks of the worn out wiring/box and am considering replacing the wiring harness completely. Also needs a new speedometer and plenty of cosmetic work. Are there any other priorities you guys would attack first?

Thanks for looking, Iíll have more specific questions as we get deeper into the project.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0038.jpg   IMG_0039.jpg   IMG_0040.jpg   IMG_0041.jpg   IMG_0042.jpg  

IMG_0043.jpg   IMG_0044.jpg   IMG_0045.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-05-2018, 05:43 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well it's definitely a newer engine because the 1980 Cj had a cast iron manifold and yours is aluminum. That means you don't have a intake manifold heater unless the PO connected the heater up properly.
But that won't stop it from starting and running.

You are missing a fuel filter and you should get one with a fuel return bypass if the tubing is still there for the return line to the tank.

Is the e-choke on the carb connected to anything? It would make starting hard and poor running when cold.

You need a breather on the valve cover to keep dirt from entering the crankcase.

Can't tell from the pictures but the 1980 CJ had a real simple electronic ignition system. It could be easily burned out if the key was left in the ON position without the engine running.
That would effect starting and running.

I suggest taking the ICM out (driver side fender) and getting it checked out and if needed get a new one.
However think about going to a GM HEI distributor like D.U.I. if you want trouble free ignition system.

Good ground are important on a CJ and anything this old probably has a number of bad ground spots.

Why are you replacing the starter?

What do you want to tackle first?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 15 Old 06-06-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Lecho
1980 CJ5 

John, thanks for this fantastic and thorough reply. Most of that I will have to investigate further when I have time, but let me tackle a couple easy parts first:

Re: the starter, it no longer seems to be operating. Checked the battery and the connections and it seems to be getting power. Itís very likely that what you said caused this. The replacement starter was cheap, and seemed like a good place to start. All ears if you have another suggestion.

Iím glad you mentioned bad grounding because that was one of my first concerns. The previous owner did a lot of jerry-rigging to get the Jeep running and the wiring is suspect to me. The battery and the alternator are both newer and functional, but I am still getting a power drain somewhere. Contemplating wheter I can find the bad ground or if we should just suck it up and replace the whole wiring harness and box.

As for what we want to tackle first, Iím intending to start with the basics to get her running: fuel delivery and power. Already replaced the fuel sender and lines, rebuilt the carb, new fuel pump, the alternator and battery are good. Trying to tackle the starting/electrical issues seems like a good place to start before moving on to the engine. Thoughts?

post #4 of 15 Old 06-06-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Lecho
1980 CJ5 

I missed your comment about the ICM the first time I read through. That was actually something we had considered, replacing the entire ignition set up. The starter was just cheap and easy, but youíre probably right and we should do the whole thing. Weíll look into the particular one you mentioned. Thanks!
post #5 of 15 Old 06-06-2018, 12:28 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Get a test light and test for power to both sides of the starter relay (Big nuts) when holding the key to the start position.
You should have power on both sides and a hear a definite 'clunk'.

If you don't get the clunk. Check to see if you are getting power at the "S" terminal on the starter relay when the key is in the "Start" position.

If no power on the "S" terminal, check your Ignition switch.
If you do have power on the "S" terminal then check the ground of the starter solenoid. Run a wire from the mountings screws to the
to the (-) on the battery.

I forgot to ask, is this an automatic? If it is then there should be another terminal on the back that is the NSS connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 Old 06-08-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Lecho
1980 CJ5 

Manual. Rebuilt transmission. Itís a little loose but Iíve tested it and it works.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The first thing I'd do is install a battery.

Matt

post #8 of 15 Old 06-08-2018, 09:15 AM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I’ll second that ^^^^ with “got gas in it?”

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #9 of 15 Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 AM
ccoyle71
1986 CJ7 

You can take a starter to any parts store and have them test it - or just put juice to it and see if it kicks out. Once you install battery and have a good starter (assuming you've drained fuel tank cleaned up the delivery system) then I'd crank it and see what happens. I'm confused as to how you know it won't run with no battery and a bad starter??? Have you even turned it over?

Also - before you hit the open road.....I'd take a look at the brakes - even when perfect they aren't great on these jeeps, and that MC looks s like mine did. It was one of the first things I replaced - safety first! Good luck - welcome to the forum - you'll love your jeep!!
post #10 of 15 Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Lecho
1980 CJ5 

Thanks for the great replies everyone, even the sarcastic ones

Guess I should clarify a couple other things. YES, the vehicle has a battery. A brief history:

As I mentioned, when I acquired this CJ5 the previous owner had done enough to get it running. I have started and driven this Jeep. None of the gauges work, but the salvage engine, electrical, pedals, headlights, etc. were functional.

While driving and testing the transmission the Jeep died like it had run out of gas and wouldnít start. I thought maybe we had badly miscalculated the fuel usage and run out of gas since the gauge doesnít function. When we realized we had a bigger problem I took it apart and discovered the fuel sender had completely disintegrated, and the fuel hoses werenít far behind.
At this point we:
Cleaned and refurbished the tank
Replaced the fuel sender
Replaced the fuel lines between the tank and the pump
Rebuilt/retuned the carburetor (it needed it)

During this extended downtime the starter stopped functioning and something also was draining the battery. Iíve tested the battery and the alternator and they both are fine as far as I can tell.
Current priorities:
Check for a bad ground or a short
Decide whether to replace the entire electrical harness
Decide whether the starter, ignition system, or both need to be replaced
post #11 of 15 Old 06-14-2018, 10:25 AM
30YR_MCPO
1978 CJ5 

It's your about as basic as it comes CJ5 258 motor no power anything. Keep it simple, air, spark, and fuel and this baby should fire right up. Looks like a critter has been nibbling on your wiring harness, a roll of electrical tape will work for now.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-16-2018, 07:42 AM
12Buzz
1980 CJ5 

At some point if you're going to be happy, you'll need to rewire the whole system. I am in the middle (using a Painless kit) of completely re rewiring my 1980 CJ5. I started March 25th! Emphasis on GROUNDING. I've found Ford, GM, Chrysler components. Laying out the harness was some help, but he whole system had been so butchered that didn't solve all the problems. My neutral safety switch and 4X4 indicator are still issues.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-16-2018, 12:33 PM
PrincessJ
1983 CJ7 

Is that a 5 speed gear pattern. I didn't think they came in pre 1982 either.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-16-2018, 08:37 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJ View Post
Is that a 5 speed gear pattern. I didn't think they came in pre 1982 either.
Looks like a 5 speed knob but the shifter rod doesn't look like one for a 5 speed.

post #15 of 15 Old 06-18-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Lecho
1980 CJ5 

Itís a 5 speed knob, I donít know enough about the shifter rod to make that determination, Iíll look more into that.

12Buzz, what replacement harness did you buy? So far the ones Iíve looked havenít been satisfactory and Iím still exploring options.

Thanks
PrincessJ likes this.

Tags
advice needed , cj5 , engine compartment , rebuilding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in