1980 CJ5 Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 Old 03-23-2016, 09:43 PM
cblair2011
1983 CJ7 

This is a pull style on I believe a T176
Picture won't load from phone, I'll get my computer tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 03-25-2016, 07:16 AM
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meidsmoe View Post
I have not purchased the parts yet (so that is open). I was thinking of buying one of the kits I have seen online from Partsmike or others. I just for the life of me cannot figure out how the slave would mount in my 258/t176 application.

Michael
Novak makes a kit. They are a pretty reputable company. I plan to buy one of their kits when I do this. I'm sure you could source all the parts cheaper separately, but sometimes it's worth spending a little extra to avoid frustration.
meidsmoe likes this.

'80 CJ7 - Gone but not forgotten
'83 CJ7 - Donkey
post #63 of 71 Old 03-26-2016, 10:55 AM
CSP

Again, you need to specify which slave you're talking about meidsmoe. The slave doesn't mount to the transmission.

This is the 80s era CJ slave mounted to the same bellhousing that your T176 uses. The photo is from underneath looking upwards.

This would be the slave used in this kit from Parts Mike: http://www.partsmike.com/index.php/p...-and-universal

post #64 of 71 Old 03-26-2016, 09:24 PM
meidsmoe
1980 CJ5 

CSP...thank you! I bought a slave for the early 80s cj. This helps a lot with my dilemma.

If my slave doesn't work, I will break down and buy the part smile kit.
post #65 of 71 Old 03-26-2016, 09:26 PM
meidsmoe
1980 CJ5 

CSP, it is hard to tell from this angle, but does the slave cylinder sit parallel to the earth (on the same line as the fork)? Or does it angle downward?
post #66 of 71 Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 AM
CSP

There's a little bit of slope. Nothing more than the stock mechanical has at any given point since there is an angle change with the stock system as the bellcrank rotates.
post #67 of 71 Old 04-03-2016, 01:55 PM
meidsmoe
1980 CJ5 

CSP, it looks like I bought the same slave as you.

Quick question...when it is mounting, should the push rod be compressed into the cylinder...then the clutch pedal being depressed should extend it? I mounted it up yesterday and the clutch pedal didn't seem to want to push the rod when I had it in position.

Hydraulics are clearly not my forte.

Michael
post #68 of 71 Old 04-03-2016, 07:07 PM
CSP

Yes, when you push the pedal in it pushes the rod into the master cylinder, which pushes fluid to the slave cylinder. The fluid going into the slave cylinder then pushes the rod outward which pushes the clutch fork rearward.
post #69 of 71 Old 03-31-2020, 09:11 AM
WJYooper

Sorry to reserect a 4 year old thread...I am doing this same thing now, but I'm wondering....how do you bleed the slave if its mounted with the bleeder on the bottom??

This is the 80s era CJ slave mounted to the same bellhousing that your T176 uses. The photo is from underneath looking upwards.
post #70 of 71 Old 03-31-2020, 11:55 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

You could probably bleed it like people bleed brake calipers that have been adapted to other applications and have the bleed screw on the bottom. They block off the piston with some type of wooden or steel block (caliper has to be compressed slightly more than the position it was in with the pads in place) and with the caliper removed from the mounting bracket and the bleeder tilted up, they bleed each caliper. They then remove the block that keeps the piston from moving, replace the pads and remount the caliper. For your clutch slave, could you remove the slave and use a large C-clamp the block the slave piston from moving? Air wants to go up and you need the bleeder facing up for bleeding but only for bleeding.
post #71 of 71 Old 04-05-2020, 10:26 PM
CSP

Bleeding info:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in