1980 CJ 7 Resurrection (Klooge) - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 159 Old 10-23-2021, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Ok, I got so wrapped up in actually working, I only got "after" pics.

Here's the locker in place. The gap looks huge, but the instructions say .145-.170". The gap there measures .148".

locker.jpg

The old spiders. For supposedly being 41 years old, they're in remarkably good shape, especially considering the condition of the Jeep when I started working on it. The writing on the ring gear makes me wonder, though.

spiders.jpg

I got lucky and didn't have to pull the carrier. Heck, I only pulled 1 axle out just far enough to get the spiders out.

I think there was a fair amount of dirt in there. The gear oil didn't look like coffee when I drained it, so it's not water contamination. Whatever that stuff is settles out/to the bottom of the oil, which leads me to think it's particulate.

At any rate, the locker is in, and the brakes have been adjusted. Now, to start pulling the engine tomorrow ...

John Strenk likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

"Grinders and Paint Make You The Welder You Ain't!" -- from a t-shirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 159 Old 10-24-2021, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Ok, so, today was "pull the engine day."

Bell housing bolts done, time to pull the front end apart.

begins.jpg

Everything is disconnected. Time to pull.

round-2-act-2.jpg

And there it is ...

round-2-act-3.jpg

#1 has about 1/2 teaspoon of clean oil in it. No, I didn't pour it in.

clean-oil-numero-uno.jpg

Number 1 is to the left.

one-left.jpg

Gutted for the third time.

gutted-third-time.jpg

mostly done.

mostly-done.jpg

I'll finish up either tomorrow, or sometime during the week. I'm hoping the cylinders haven't gone wobbly. Time will tell.
Mister4x4 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #108 of 159 Old 10-24-2021, 06:27 PM
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228 View Post
Ok, so, today was "pull the engine day."

Gutted for the third time.

Attachment 4014223

I'll finish up either tomorrow, or sometime during the week. I'm hoping the cylinders haven't gone wobbly. Time will tell.
UGH! That sucks. Theres nothing I hate more than taking something apart, that I just put together.

I had the time to make it through your whole thread. Here you were praising me for running a bit of wire (and apparently not fixing the original issue ) but I'm amazed at what you were able to accomplish in the time that you did it in.

You also did what I've been trying to avoid, tearing it ALL apart. I'm trying to get to DRIVE ours, before I end up tearing into it. I worry that I'll be in the same boat though, with my 258 being an unknown. Had fuel in the oil when I got it, oil was BLACK, and a fair amount of shavings on the drain plug. I have this hunch that I'll be yanking the engine (along with everything else), but my wife will NOT be happy about it, mostly because I doubt I can do it in the short time frame you managed.
Mongo228 likes this.

post #109 of 159 Old 10-25-2021, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth83 View Post
UGH! That sucks. Theres nothing I hate more than taking something apart, that I just put together.

I had the time to make it through your whole thread. Here you were praising me for running a bit of wire (and apparently not fixing the original issue ) but I'm amazed at what you were able to accomplish in the time that you did it in.

You also did what I've been trying to avoid, tearing it ALL apart. I'm trying to get to DRIVE ours, before I end up tearing into it. I worry that I'll be in the same boat though, with my 258 being an unknown. Had fuel in the oil when I got it, oil was BLACK, and a fair amount of shavings on the drain plug. I have this hunch that I'll be yanking the engine (along with everything else), but my wife will NOT be happy about it, mostly because I doubt I can do it in the short time frame you managed.
Girth, thank you for the kind words! I'm still amazed at your wiring accomplishment! With the engine out, sorting the wiring in the engine bay is one of the projects I have on-deck, along with replacing the engine mounts, re-plumbing the rear brake feed line from the master cylinder, and replacing the steering gear box.

I put a neodymium magnet in the oil pan the first time I pulled it off; the is the second time I've pulled the pan, and each time, there was a pretty fair amount of metal "powder." I can't really call it shavings because, once I got it off the magnet, it pretty much turned into a metallic paste. I noticed the cam gear for the dizzy was chewed up a bit. I'm pretty sure that resulted from the gears on the HEI dizzies I had installed. I also noticed the cam bearings were indeed chewed up. The scoring on at least one bearing was deep enough I could feel in with my finger. While there were no flat spots on the cam, it was showing its ages.

My engine did not have all the smog junk on it, so it was a LOT easier to pull it apart.

Have you done a leak-down or compression test? Or both? Might tell you a lot about your engine, and perhaps direct your efforts.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #110 of 159 Old 10-25-2021, 11:40 AM
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228 View Post

Have you done a leak-down or compression test? Or both? Might tell you a lot about your engine, and perhaps direct your efforts.

I have not. I don't want to know.... yet. I was a happy camper just to see that it started and ran well enough. For now, running at all is "good enough". A few other serious issues to take care of, then I'll worry about the finer things, like good compression. I've got a good machine/engine shop locally, if I need any serious work done. I'm not even sure I have the original engine in it. I've got a steel valve cover, but '82 should be plastic? All sorts of little mysteries to sort through. It'd be easier to tear it down to the frame and build it back up, but there's NO way I'd get it back together in a short time like you did.
Mongo228 likes this.
post #111 of 159 Old 10-25-2021, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
It's finding out all the little things that make owning classic Jeeps so interesting!

I think, for the CJ5, the valve covers were still steel up through 83. I think it was just the CJ7 that went plastic as a weight saving measure. Money saving, more like.

I was able to get mine done so quickly because I'm single.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #112 of 159 Old 10-26-2021, 11:12 AM
1980tallcj7

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Nice job boss 👍 and silver 👍 the best color
Mongo228 likes this.

1980 CJ7,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #113 of 159 Old 10-27-2021, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980tallcj7 View Post
Nice job boss 👍 and silver 👍 the best color
Thank you, sir!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #114 of 159 Old 11-03-2021, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Ok, so ...

The engine has been completely torn down except for the pipe plugs in the block. I'll post pics later, just thought I'd drop an update really quickly.

The valves should now be squared away. I got my Scorpion Racing non-adjustable 1.7:1 roller rockers today. Shiny!!

The machine shops around here wanted anywhere from $600 to $1100 to hot-tank the block, bore it .020 over, install cam bearings, and clean up the crank. And the minimum time was 6 weeks.

Um, no.

So, I'm doing my own work in best "shade tree" fashion. Been taking it slow, figuring out the best approach to boring; think I got it sorted tonight. Cylinder 6 measures 3.7700 +/- .0005 top to bottom on 2 axes. If I can repeat the process on #5, I'll share what I did.

Next paycheck will see me order the master rebuild kit. Pistons, rings, +.020; con rods, mains, -.020 per the size stamping I found in a non-standard location and the 020 on the races.

EDIT:

Forgot to include the other little things I did:

- cleaned up the engine bay wiring;
- put in new bump stops;
- re-plumbed the master cylinder to rear brake line on the proportioning valve; and
- installed new steering gear.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #115 of 159 Old 11-03-2021, 09:21 PM
Girth83
1982 CJ5 

When I yanked the LS out of the wife's Suburban, and dropped it off without thinking about lead time, that was almost 10weeks before I got the rebuilt long block back. They were SWAMPED with all the pre-season race work. Lesson learned there. Get machine work done on the off season. lol

I'll be curious to see how you're boring those cylinders. I've seen small portable boring machines, but I'm guessing you're up to something else.
Mongo228 likes this.
post #116 of 159 Old 11-04-2021, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I got #5 done tonight, less than .0005" difference top to bottom.

And yes, Girth, I'm doing something different. I'm being "creative." Sorta. What I am doing is definitely NOT something you will see in service manuals. I'm using this Lisle hone dry, 80 grit stones. I'm taking my time, constantly pulling it, cleaning it, and checking the progress with a bore gauge. Once I get to where I need to be, I take a 3-arm hone with cutting oil at 240 grit and cleaning things up, then hitting with the 80 grit again to get the 45* cross hatch. Once I got the process down with #6, #5 only took me 3 hours today. Slow, yes, but not as bad as 6 weeks. I'm checking on cross axes; thrust plane, and longitudinal.

I'm getting just about the same results as a boring machine with a cutting blade. I'm making sure not to put any real heat into the metal. My 1/2" drill is heating up more than the block! I'm also wearing a respirator b/c of all the metal dust.

Is this "kosher"? Probably not, and I'll probably get taken to task for it. But, with the prices I was quoted from machine shops, I was left with a choice: spend money on machine work, or spend money on a rebuild kit, but not both.
Mister4x4 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #117 of 159 Old 11-05-2021, 12:00 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Be careful Dave, you might start getting orders
Mister4x4 and Mongo228 like this.

'81 CJ5, 258 I6, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31
post #118 of 159 Old 11-08-2021, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
Be careful Dave, you might start getting orders
Oh, lordy, I hope not! This was testing my patience to its limits as it was!

Here's a shot of some of my handiwork; the edges of the cylinders were always a bit rounded; I did my best not to add to that.

100_0514.jpg

A shot of the block looking lonely in the garager ...

100_0515.jpg

A look at the inside of the head, and a shot of the crank. The crank journals need very little attention.

100_0516.jpg
scooby533 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #119 of 159 Old 11-10-2021, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Time for some pics of what I have been working on.

I have ordered the master kit from Northern Auto Parts. It should be here in 10-14 days.

While the engine is out, I cleaned up the wiring mess in the engine bay a bit.

sommat-cleaned-up-wiring.jpg

The next couple of pics are of the main bearings. They took the damage from debris; there was extremely little, if any, damage to the crank journals.

main-caps-4-7.jpg

scored-main-cap.jpg

Pics of the cam bearings. They were seriously worn as evidenced by the baked on oil INSIDE the bearings on the top surface. This can definitely explain the 0 oil pressure at warm idle.

little-worn-1.jpg

little-worn-2.jpg

little-worn-3.jpg

Here are the bearings out of the engine and cleaned up. Note the debris damage. The master kit comes with a new cam!

roached-closeup-1.jpg

roached-closeup-2.jpg

roached-closeup-3.jpg

roached-closeup-4.jpg

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #120 of 159 Old 11-10-2021, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
More pics ...

Used some grape seed oil to do a leak test on the valves after lapping. The first round showed intakes on 1 and 6 were in need of additional attention. The second round showed no leaks.

leak-test-grapseed-oil.jpg

The cylinders, showing what they looked like in general before I set to work, and pretty much what they look like after I finished.

number-1-natural.jpg

number-2-natural.jpg

number-6-bored.jpg

The new roller rockers I will be installing; non-adjustable, 1.7:1 ratio, going from .381 to .405 valve lift.

roller-rockers-2.jpg

As far as I can tell, this is actually the over-/undersize stamping, not in the normal location, but it bears out if -.020 is the right interpretation, which matches the bearings for the crank/rods.

undersize-stamping.jpg

And this is going to be the final color of the engine, with black bracketry.

that_is_red.jpg

Dave
Mesa, AZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in