1980 CJ 7 Resurrection (Klooge) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
 94Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 140 Old 09-27-2021, 09:06 PM
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228 View Post
Nice! Whereabouts do you go wheeling? I spent 17 years at Lackland (final 8 of my 20 at the MRSOC, then another 9 as a contractor over on Security Hill). When I first got to SATX, Devils Den was the place to go. Over the years, though, I got away from 'wheeling, so I have no idea any more. There used to be some good wheelin' up near Round Rock, too. Is that still a place to go?

For Klooge, like your sig sez, "simple is reliable." I don't really plan on doing much beyond light trails, so a mild 2.5" lift with 31s will suffice. How did you go about your spring-over? There are several ways I know of, probably more, but which route did you take?
Im stationed at fort sam. AS far as spring over axle its best to cut at reweld perches on top and get a whole new u-bolt kit. I will also add that having a widertrack than the 56in of the stock axles is nice for stability. some 0 lift flat yj springs and a set of waggy 44s and 35s with 4.88s would make for a nice combo. Extended brake lines are a must . Perches and shock tabs must be welded correctly. Focous on caster in the front and pinion angle in the rear. If going CV than about 2 degreese less than drive shaft angle. Antiwrap perches (what I have) or a torque arm is necessary to contain axle wrap.

Mongo228 likes this.

"Simple is Reliable"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Military service: March 2007-(I will fill this out with im done.)
IG: Rubi_crunch_CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 140 Old 09-27-2021, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJ View Post
Im stationed at fort sam. AS far as spring over axle its best to cut at reweld perches on top and get a whole new u-bolt kit. I will also add that having a widertrack than the 56in of the stock axles is nice for stability. some 0 lift flat yj springs and a set of waggy 44s and 35s with 4.88s would make for a nice combo. Extended brake lines are a must . Perches and shock tabs must be welded correctly. Focous on caster in the front and pinion angle in the rear. If going CV than about 2 degreese less than drive shaft angle. Antiwrap perches (what I have) or a torque arm is necessary to contain axle wrap.

Yep, cut/re-weld perches or get new ones to weld in (Q-tec has a kit).

Phew, that's one heckuva rig you got! Would love to see it in action!

I just got my boy back in action, with a LOT of original parts that have been cleaned up and reconditioned. So far, he's holding together, except for wanting to mark his territory (leaky steering gear box, leaky AMC 20). For the time being, I have him insured as a "classic," which limits mileage, and if I got too nuts, I'll probably lose that status. We'll see how things go. I've only put about 350 miles on the odo since I got him road-worthy!
PrincessJ likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

"Grinders and Paint Make You The Welder You Ain't!" -- from a t-shirt
post #93 of 140 Old 09-27-2021, 10:34 PM
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228 View Post

Yep, cut/re-weld perches or get new ones to weld in (Q-tec has a kit).

Phew, that's one heckuva rig you got! Would love to see it in action!

I just got my boy back in action, with a LOT of original parts that have been cleaned up and reconditioned. So far, he's holding together, except for wanting to mark his territory (leaky steering gear box, leaky AMC 20). For the time being, I have him insured as a "classic," which limits mileage, and if I got too nuts, I'll probably lose that status. We'll see how things go. I've only put about 350 miles on the odo since I got him road-worthy!
Mine is a dail/trail rig. Classic tags but Texas doesnt limit your mileage on classic tags
Mongo228 likes this.

"Simple is Reliable"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Military service: March 2007-(I will fill this out with im done.)
IG: Rubi_crunch_CJ7

post #94 of 140 Old 10-05-2021, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJ View Post
Mine is a dail/trail rig. Classic tags but Texas doesnt limit your mileage on classic tags
It's not the state that limits the mileage, it's the insurance company. Klooge has historic vehicle plates (very nice ones, I might add), but classic/collector insurance. The insurance exempts him from smog testing, even though he *should* pass. Pretty much every insurance company I know of limits the yearly mileage on collector/classic policies.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #95 of 140 Old 10-05-2021, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Finally got around to editing the few pics I took at the start of Klooge's first real shakedown run. Went out with devildog80 and his CJ5, Gramps.

All in all, Klooge did well. I found out I need to fix the spare carrier latch. On the street, it's fine. On a trail, it can bounce open. Took a ratchet strap to the roll bar supports to keep it in place. Other than that, he did a fine job. There were numerous pops, clanks, clicks, and creaks, but that is to be expected on a shakedown run. On the 1-10 scale, the trail was about a 6. Ratings

You see the ratchet strap here. These are before getting into the trail proper.

geezers-1.jpg

geezers-2.jpg

geezers-3.jpg

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #96 of 140 Old 10-05-2021, 10:28 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Yep it was a very good day
Took my daughter and 2 G-sons along, and the boys (15 & 16) had their first manual trans lesson. Just a 1/4 mi in there is a "bowl" area about the size of a sports stadium, so got the boys started driving, then hopped out and let them drive in circles for about an hour in low range learning to shift. Of course there was some mud, so we did get just a little on the tires. As Dave said when we were out there, "Its weird standing by and someone else driving my rig", but gave us both a chance to listen for all those creaks/pops/grinds, then try to see if normal or does something needed looked at when back to the shop!
Boys were grinning, and Klooge & Gramps were just putting along, like two horses chomping at the bit for rougher ground. When the old farts got back in the drivers seats, we let the reins loose to test Klooge's weak points. Went out about 2 miles, then back, as we did not plan a long day. Only issue found, seemed to be the spare carrier found on the way in, and sure it will be addressed post haste. We are planning to go out again, and will move a little further down the trail.
Well done on the build Dave. I give Klooge an A+
Mongo228 likes this.
post #97 of 140 Old 10-05-2021, 10:35 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

For those of you thinking/looking at tires/wheels/rims, we both have the same size tires 31x10.5Rx15LT, with different width wheels. Just to note how the wheel used, changes the tire profile.
Just a thought!
post #98 of 140 Old 10-06-2021, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Thank you, Scott!

By the end of the day, I was flat exhausted. I was tense as could be, hoping nothing grenaded.

Glad nothing did! Looking forward to the next run.

Oh, yeah, the latch will be fixed by Friday.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #99 of 140 Old 10-06-2021, 08:29 PM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Effin' Bad-***, Brother! I'm SO proud of everything you've accomplished... and a little jealous as well (Dookie's still waiting for you to come back and help me put him back together - just kidding, after I get the fence done and some other chores, I'll get going since the temps are finally starting to drop-off).
Mongo228 likes this.

Eric

post #100 of 140 Old 10-07-2021, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister4x4 View Post
Effin' Bad-***, Brother! I'm SO proud of everything you've accomplished... and a little jealous as well (Dookie's still waiting for you to come back and help me put him back together - just kidding, after I get the fence done and some other chores, I'll get going since the temps are finally starting to drop-off).
Take a bow, dude! I couldn't have done any of this if you hadn't given Klooge to me in the first place!

You know I'd be right there turning wrenches with ya if I could!
Mister4x4 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #101 of 140 Old 10-15-2021, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Next chapter in the saga ... an engine rebuild.

I had noticed a smell of fuel contamination in the oil when I changed it. Finally got around to doing a leak-down test.

"Pass" just means the dial was in the "green," so the leak was "acceptable."

1 - 40% - Rings
2 - 27% - Pass
3 - 65% - Rings
4 - 35% - Pass
5 - 30% - Pass
6 - 30% - Pass

The above results, combined with a lifter knock, 0 oil pressure at warm idle, and worn cam bearings (cause of oil pressure woes I'm sure) all add up to pulling the engine and tearing it down.

I'm not going nuts with aftermarket goodies. I'm going to polish the ports, and use some roller rockers at 1.7:1 vs. 1.6:1 for just the slightest bit of low end grunt. Based on my research, for my purposes, keeping the stock cam profile, but increasing lift with the change in rocker ratio, should do just fine. Klooge is a weekend toy, not a serious crawler or mud-runner, so no real need to change the cam profile. As far as I have been able to tell using a steel straight edge when I had the head off a couple a weeks ago, the head is not warped, and neither is the block. As long as the cylinders haven't gone ovoid, I don't plan on needing a machine shop. I just need to get good measurements, to which end I got a nice bore gauge and calipers, as well as a nice bearing tool for the cam bearings.

I figured while he's down for the open-heart surgery, I'll stick a lunchbox locker in the back (Lock-Rite). Again, he's a weekend toy, so as much as I would love an Ox locker out back, the investment isn't necessary.

Besides, I just bought a PJ C5 83"x16' car hauler. If the trail is an out-back over an hour away, I'm using the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer.jpg  
John Strenk and Mister4x4 like this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #102 of 140 Old 10-21-2021, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Back last Christmas, Mister & Missus 4x4 ordered a set for floor mats for me as a Christmas present. Well, just about 11 months later, they showed up. Mister 4x4 sent them my way, since his instructions to the shipper to send them to my address got lost in the wind somewhere. They came in today ... so I installed them. I also installed the Blaupunkt sub I got. The wiring may not be pretty, but considering there's no carpet to hide it under, I did what I could. Still gotta get the stuff up front cleaned up. Eventually. Maybe. My Jeep's name is Klooge, after all. :wink:

It doesn't show in the pic, but I had to do a bit of trimming to clear the high beam switch.

drv-mat.jpg

Gratuitous dash shot with the hood wide open, been planning my CoA for pulling the engine this weekend and completing some other small projects.

gratuitous-dash-shot.jpg

Shot of the pax mat ... dropped right in!

pax-mat.jpg

The middle mat would fit wonderfully if I ran the speaker cabling differently. Normally the only passengers in the back seat are my niece(7) and nephew(5).

middle-mat.jpg

Rear mat, seat up ...

rear-mat-install-1.jpg

Rear mat, seat down ...

rear-mat-install-2.jpg

Shot of the Blaupunkt 8" sub. Sounds pretty good! Used most of a 50' roll of cloth loom tape for the wiring. Next project is cleaning up the engine bay wiring.

sub-install-one.jpg

Gonna be working with devildog80 & crew to swap out the cruddy wannabe Solex for a rebuilt MC2100. I think Gramps will really wake up when he gets a REAL carb!
Mister4x4 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #103 of 140 Old 10-21-2021, 11:31 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Hope 'ol Gramps takes it easy, until new timing chain/gears can be installed, so all our carb work will not be a moot effort if that old chain goes out!

Gonna be working with devildog80 & crew to swap out the cruddy wannabe Solex for a rebuilt MC2100. I think Gramps will really wake up when he gets a REAL carb!
Mister4x4 likes this.

'81 CJ5, 258 I6, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31
post #104 of 140 Old 10-21-2021, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
Hope 'ol Gramps takes it easy, until new timing chain/gears can be installed, so all our carb work will not be a moot effort if that old chain goes out!
I think judicious throttle application will be fine. No drag racing! :wink:
Mister4x4 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #105 of 140 Old 10-22-2021, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Derp. AMC 20 axles don't come apart as easily as Dana 70s.

EDIT: Mister 4x4 knows the ref ... and how full of gear lube those brakes were!

Started in on the project of putting a Spartan locker out back, and realized I need an axle puller.

Off to Harbor Freight I go after work. Once I have the puller, should be fairly short work. Stock gears, so plenty of room to leave the carrier in the pumpkin.

Will post pics once I'm done.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in