98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 148 Old 07-22-2021, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
How do you feel about starting a new post to trouble shoot the problem.

List what bulbs you have old or new harness. etc. and what problems you have.

Mine conversion jumped from one problem to another when swapping to all LEDs,
I'll see if I can find my old posts.

I remember most of my problems went away with some funny little adapter for the fender lights.

But if you want to keep it here, that's fine also.

If you mean the flasher relay, this is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

had to use the supplied socket adapter to get it to work.
Mister4x4 and I have been chewing on this for over a week now. I might just open it up to the forums in general in a couple of weeks. I have some minor surgery coming up (carpal tunnel), so I'll wait until that's done, otherwise, I'll be out in the garage all hours of the day and night trying suggestions.

I put in an American Autowire harness, so it has all new wiring. Mister4x4 can tell you, I have been squawking non-stop; I don't like dealing with wiring! It's like Christmas lights ... 1 bulb can take out the whole string. Now, find the bulb. ARGH!

That flasher was the first one I tried, without, and with, the base plate.

Then I tried the AAW-recommended flashers (b/c you know, they say you need to use TWO with their harness), and got some decent functionality.

I'm not having issues with hyperflashing, but I'm wondering if a load resistor somewhere in line might be the way to go?

I have verified all grounds as solid, so it *shouldn't* be a ground issue.

I'll figure out where to put the lighting thread and start one, otherwise, I'll just keep going forever here.

Thank you, John!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

"Grinders and Paint Make You The Welder You Ain't!" -- from a t-shirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 148 Old 07-23-2021, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
AAANNNDDD ... he's LEGAL!

Got up EARLY this morning and was at the DMV right as they opened. Had 0 wait.

Got him titled and tagged, so he's totally legal to drive on public streets now!

WOOOT!!!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #63 of 148 Old 07-23-2021, 08:18 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Woohoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo228 View Post
aaannnddd ... He's legal!

Got up early this morning and was at the dmv right as they opened. Had 0 wait.

Got him titled and tagged, so he's totally legal to drive on public streets now!

Wooot!!!
Mongo228 likes this.

post #64 of 148 Old 07-26-2021, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
In addition to the LED frustrations, I've been trying to address steering "adventures." Driving at speed was like an old movie from the 1940s ... sawing away at the wheel to keep in my lane. Felt like I was playing bumper bowling! I had checked my caster angle, and it came out to ~1.5*. I added 4* shims ... which helped a lot! But, was still sawing at the wheel. Devildog80 showed me how to adjust the steering box to try to take out some of the slop (thank you!). That's helping a lot, too! Hoping I can get my boy tightened up before bottoming out on the box adjustments!

I also have a LOUD vacuum leak around/below the throttle body. Pretty sure it's at the intake/exhaust runners for 3 and 4. So, time to get new gaskets, pull the intake/exhaust apart (I'm learning to dislike Hedman's two-part design for their 99600 headers), make sure everything is spotless, and try to seal it all up. Again. This will be the 4th time I've pulled the intake/exhaust apart. If I can't get the leak sorted this time, I'm just going back to the stock exhaust. At least I KNOW that will seal up!!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #65 of 148 Old 08-08-2021, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
UPDATE TIME!

So, like I posted in my LED thread, the lights are working more or less as they're supposed to.

I got the horn working. I had been using the washer pump connection (no tank/pump installed, so, why not?). Finally found the relay way up by the clutch return spring (don't ask, I dunno ...) and the relay was not fully seated. It is now. Horn works through the button.

Now I just need to get the reverse switch sorted, figure out if the oil pressure sending unit is bad or if the gauge is shot (any ideas on testing? Anyone? Anyone? .... ), and decide if it's worth it to muck about with the voltmeter. It works sporadically.

Got the rear bumper in today and started welding. Got down to two tabs and 2" ... and ran out of wire. Really?

Mister 4x4 had mentioned "recurving" the distributor. I have an A-Team HEI. I have not found anything on the webs about recurving that beast. All I have been able to determine is that sticking an allen wrench in the vac adv can and turning clockwise advances timing, and counterclockwise retards timing. I have him set at 10* BTDC static, and am working on getting him to @ 35* total timing. We'll get there.

Here's the rear bumper in the box. Thank you JCR Off Road!

rear-bumper-ikea-style.jpg

Bends completed, prepping to weld.

prepping-start-welding.jpg

Stage I completed.

stage-i-complete.jpg

Stage II completed.

stage-ii-complete.jpg

They're not stacked dimes, but my welds are improving. At least $15/hour welds. Maybe $20. :P

my-skills-improving.jpg

Got the d-ring mounts in.

clevis-mounts.jpg

And now, the Piece de Resistance ... video time!

John Strenk, STJP and First-Jeep like this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #66 of 148 Old 08-10-2021, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Well, shoot, forgot to post a pic of the mounted rear bumper ...

rear-bumper.jpg

Looks pretty darn good, and I have to say, the Krylon Rust Tough paint has me impressed. Holds up a fair bit better than Rustoleum.
John Strenk likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #67 of 148 Old 08-15-2021, 06:44 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Hard to believe the finished product, from where it started from, and near drives like a new vehicle
Mongo228 likes this.
post #68 of 148 Old 08-16-2021, 12:19 AM
ZacD94

Hey man just read through this whole thing. Its CRAZY you did all this since February. Just wanted to say great job I have an 84 CJ7 and am wanting to do the same things very soon. scary to think about for me to get into the struggles of a restoration with everything it intel's. Not knowing basically anything about any of it.
Mongo228 likes this.
post #69 of 148 Old 08-17-2021, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
Hard to believe the finished product, from where it started from, and near drives like a new vehicle
Thank you Scott! I have a remanufactured steering box to put in; the input shaft seal sprang a leak, and the sector shaft adjustment screw/jam nut are leaking now, too. So, I guess the 41 (42? Parts were built in Nov 79!) year old gear finally said "Enough!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacD94 View Post
Hey man just read through this whole thing. Its CRAZY you did all this since February. Just wanted to say great job I have an 84 CJ7 and am wanting to do the same things very soon. scary to think about for me to get into the struggles of a restoration with everything it intel's. Not knowing basically anything about any of it.
ZacD94, you got this, man! I was a fairly competent mechanic when I started (been wrenching on vehicles since I was 10), but I learned SO much along the way! This forum is a great source of information, as is YouTube. I also benefited from having Mister4x4 as a best friend ... he'd done a complete restomod on his 71 Mustang Mach I. PM incoming ...

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #70 of 148 Old 08-17-2021, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Finally got a spare tire for the cantankerous ol' geezer! That, however, presents its own problem. The added weight drags the tailgate out of alignment when I open it up, so I have to hoist it back up to get it to close. I don't remember having this issue on my Wranglers, but I also hadn't gone up to this size tire.

Thinking of putting a horizontal loop handle in the lower left of the tailgate. I checked the hinge mounts ... they're solid as can be. Oh, well.

Put in some DIY limiter straps, too. Don't want that heavy tire getting away from me and doing bad things to the tail light.

PSA: Rivet nuts. MAGIC! Invest in them.
Attached Thumbnails
spare tire -- finally.jpg   DIY limiting straps.jpg  

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #71 of 148 Old 08-17-2021, 12:03 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Maybe look into the receiver hitch tire carrier, someone else suggested on another thread, so that nice tail gate does not get sprung. Your bumper has the knock out for it.
Mongo228 likes this.
post #72 of 148 Old 08-17-2021, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
Maybe look into the receiver hitch tire carrier, someone else suggested on another thread, so that nice tail gate does not get sprung. Your bumper has the knock out for it.
I actually did think about that, even have the bits for the receiver that came with the bumper; just didn't put 'em in b/c I didn't think I would need 'em. Silly me! Easy enough to weld 'em in. I'm just not a huge fan of how they look, and I'm wondering if that would actually block the use of the tailgate? The ones that swing away ... wow. Almost $1K!?! I'm also considering a bumper-mount carrier; to me, those look a lot cleaner. Mister4x4 built one for his CJ; I could probably get the steel and other sundry parts for cheap for either option, compared to buying pre-made.

Multiple options are on the table, though other projects are higher priority.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #73 of 148 Old 08-24-2021, 01:03 AM
ZacD94

hey man for some reason i cant figure out how to access my PMs. any advice i tried on my phone and it says login when im already logged in. my computer is telling me i have to activate my account but i already have
post #74 of 148 Old 08-24-2021, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacD94 View Post
hey man for some reason i cant figure out how to access my PMs. any advice i tried on my phone and it says login when im already logged in. my computer is telling me i have to activate my account but i already have
I'm at a loss on that one ... I'd ping one of the admins. I'll poke around and see if I can find anything on this.
ZacD94 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #75 of 148 Old 08-25-2021, 12:45 AM
ZacD94

This is what I'm getting.

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

You are trying to access a webpage that is only accessible to Premium Members.
You trying to edit someone else's post or access administrative features
You did not activate your account. To do so please follow the instructions at the following webpage; Request Activation E-mail.

I sent a email to the admins but haven't got a response yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in