LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 64 Old 07-20-2021, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog80 View Post
Yes.....Klooge Lives
When I was first introduced to Klooge a few short months ago, I saw a "rode hard put up wet" old farm Jeep, and could not see the vision Dave had for his future. About half of the body sheet metal was gone, frame had major rust issues, and surprised he was still standing on his own 4 tires. Very tired, tore up, neglected, sick old rig.
With Dave holding to his dream, and many many hours of hard frustrating work, Klooge rides out like a new one. Someday perhaps I will get the honor of sitting in the drivers seat, turn the key, and drive around the block, then I can tell you how it drives out, but for now it is an absolute miracle (in my view) how nice Klooge has turned out.
All kudos to Dave for every bit of the work put into another, almost lost loved one, brought back from the brink!
Now, I wait patiently, for weather to cool here in the desert, and Dave to have it streetable, so we can take Gramps and Klooge out for a little mud on the tires. Throw in "the fam", some cool drinks, snacks, and head to where the cactus roam, for some 4x4 testing. Gotta make sure that all works too

Scott, thank you for the kind words, help, and support! Come on over this weekend; I think you've earned some "stick time," as it were. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Figuring out why LED lights don't work is always fun. Some people have no problems, some can't make it work no matter what they try. I think it has something to do with Karma or Magic maybe.
Check the phone book for a Witch Doctor/Wizard/Alchemist/Monk/Cluricaune for help and send Murphy a 12 pack to keep him occupied until your done.
LOL, right?!? There is a YT video of a guy who converted his CJ5 over to LED (with a stock harness). I followed his instructions, even got the same parts (except for the headlights, but still, polarity insensitive). Mixed results. Researched AAW and LEDs. They said "use this relay, and you need two of them." Instructions followed. Improved results, but still mixed. More research. "It's a ground problem!" Nope. It wasn't. Trying a couple of high-falootin' relays (they should be here tomorrow). We'll see how they work. In the meantime, burning candles, smudging the garage, lighting incense, and leaving two-fingers of whiskey out for ol' Murphy. Fingers crossed!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

"Grinders and Paint Make You The Welder You Ain't!" -- from a t-shirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 64 Old 07-20-2021, 06:58 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Thanks, but will need to take a rain check. Supposed to literally rain, and we might actually get some finally, as it has been 2 years since any measurable rainfall here. We do live in the desert, so to be expected!
Wife had a death in the family last week, so will be with survivors this weekend.
Will be in touch for sure.
Mongo228 likes this.
post #48 of 64 Old 07-21-2021, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, but will need to take a rain check. Supposed to literally rain, and we might actually get some finally, as it has been 2 years since any measurable rainfall here. We do live in the desert, so to be expected!
Wife had a death in the family last week, so will be with survivors this weekend.
Will be in touch for sure.
Gotcha; you told me about the loss, condolences!

I wish it would really RAIN. I'm tired of my Ram looking like a speckled, muddy mess. If it's gonna be muddy, it needs to be MUDDY!!

See next post for more info.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #49 of 64 Old 07-21-2021, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
So, it's rather calming to be able to look at a project and know that now, it's down to (more or less) spit & polish.

There's really only one major mechanical issue to handle: steering.

After adjusting the box to be just about spot on, Klooge still had something of a mind of his own, kind of like a stubborn horse. Steering would not return to center after a turn, and while going down the road, it was almost like a bowling ball bouncing between bumpers.

This simply would not do. No, sir!

So, I started putting together bits of advice and digging for info. I read the big post on caster. Ordered a Klein Tools digital angle meter. I slapped that bad boy on the top of the ball joint ... 1.5* caster. Picked my jaw up off the floor, went to the other (pax) side, checked there ... identical measurement.

Well. That's a bit of a surprise. I just put a 2.5" Tough Country lift on the beast. I suppose the deeper arch in the springs killed some caster. CJ7 spec, from what I have read, is +/- 4* from the factory, up to 6-8*. Yeah, lots of info out there.

I have a 1978 Shop Manual. Per THAT manual, caster is preset at the factory at +3* for CJs, +4* for Cherokees (Chapter 2M-4, pp 841). My CJ7 is a 1980. Not sure if the caster specs changed.

Guess it's time for two things:

1. a refill on my tasty adult beverage, and
2. order some 4* shims (steel, thank you).

A Jeep project is NEVER completed; it just moves from one stage to the next.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #50 of 64 Old 07-21-2021, 02:51 PM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Scott - thank you for being there to help Dave. In an ideal world, I'd be right there as well, rather than having foisted a major turd-polishing project onto my best bud and sent him on his way after swiping the drive train and leaving him my leftovers (still a little mad at myself for those bent rods).

Having literally brought my 1971 Mach 1 back from even worse condition, I see less 'miracle,' and more testament of Dave's skills, determination, patience, and attention-to-detail... I had absolutely no doubt that he could do it, and famously at that. What I didn't count on was how quickly he'd knock it all out... I still haven't touched my Jeep since he loaded Klooge up and headed back home (in all fairness, I've been a little busy with a few other life-changing things, then it got too hot for me - having grown up in SLC, I'm still not used to all this humidity). Guess I gotta get busy and get Klooge's 304, TF-999, D300, driveshafts, steering column, brake pedal assembly, and engine-side harness cleaned-up, rebuilt & refurbed, and all of that stuffed into my Jeep now... along with the YJ hard top that came with those half doors when I picked Klooge up from the previous owner, and the cool paddle-handle full doors Dave bought me. "Life things" have kind of chilled out for me for the time being, so now I just need to wait out the heat a bit.

Congrats, Dave - I told you 'you got this!'
Mongo228 likes this.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 64 Old 07-21-2021, 03:04 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

It is my privilege to be "helping", but Dave has done more work alone, than most men would accomplish with full time help. I see the projects happen, one little bit at a time, and amazed too at how quick Klooge came to life. He has done an awesome job
Mister4x4 and Mongo228 like this.
post #52 of 64 Old 07-21-2021, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister4x4 View Post
Scott - thank you for being there to help Dave. In an ideal world, I'd be right there as well, rather than having foisted a major turd-polishing project onto my best bud and sent him on his way after swiping the drive train and leaving him my leftovers (still a little mad at myself for those bent rods).

Having literally brought my 1971 Mach 1 back from even worse condition, I see less 'miracle,' and more testament of Dave's skills, determination, patience, and attention-to-detail... I had absolutely no doubt that he could do it, and famously at that. What I didn't count on was how quickly he'd knock it all out... I still haven't touched my Jeep since he loaded Klooge up and headed back home (in all fairness, I've been a little busy with a few other life-changing things, then it got too hot for me - having grown up in SLC, I'm still not used to all this humidity). Guess I gotta get busy and get Klooge's 304, TF-999, D300, driveshafts, steering column, brake pedal assembly, and engine-side harness cleaned-up, rebuilt & refurbed, and all of that stuffed into my Jeep now... along with the YJ hard top that came with those half doors when I picked Klooge up from the previous owner, and the cool paddle-handle full doors Dave bought me. "Life things" have kind of chilled out for me for the time being, so now I just need to wait out the heat a bit.

Congrats, Dave - I told you 'you got this!'
Having seen Frank's journey, I now understand what you went through. You had more to deal with than I did. You had to weld in the front half of Frank; I just did some frame repairs. Frank looks incredible, and has the awards to prove it! I've had one helluva journey to get here. One day, I'll have to trailer Klooge back out there, maybe for a show. One day. For now, though, I think just fixing his tendency to want to play "bumper bowling" is top of the list. And, I totally sympathize about the heat/humidity. I at least have shop fans (I recommend getting at least one) which I am constantly reorienting to point in my direction. Great for making a breeze to keep one from seriously overheating, but not so good for medium paint jobs.

And, thank you ... for everything! ./bow

Quote:
It is my privilege to be "helping", but Dave has done more work alone, than most men would accomplish with full time help. I see the projects happen, one little bit at a time, and amazed too at how quick Klooge came to life. He has done an awesome job
I did get a bit of a kick out of seeing the looks on your face when you'd come over for coffee and see the progress on Klooge. Eric has known for nearly 30 years, and you have witnessed first-hand, what happens when I fully commit to a task. It gets DONE. :P

Tonight's project ... get the Grote LED flashers installed and see if they help.

Fingers crossed!!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #53 of 64 Old 07-22-2021, 01:56 AM
ranger83
1986 CJ7 

So, after reading this from start to finish was/is Klooge a YJ body with a CJ nose?

Ranger83
86 CJ7(current)
83CJ5(former)
post #54 of 64 Old 07-22-2021, 09:35 AM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger83 View Post
So, after reading this from start to finish was/is Klooge a YJ body with a CJ nose?
No Sir, he did it the hard way and grafted in the YJ tailgate, rear cross-member, surrounds, corners, et al, to have the YJ tailgate functionality.

He had an awesome '92 YJ when I first met him WAY back when, and when I saw the seller also had some half-doors for sale, I snagged them because I knew he'd want them. Plus, there was a set of upper half doors available, and along with a YJ hard top the seller had (which I picked up for my CJ-7 - I like the bigger windows), it would be able to keep the critters out until he could come get his new project. The guy had enough pieces and useable parts to build probably a half-dozen Jeeps to completion (for functionality, more than cosmetically).

Klooge's CJ tailgate was hammered dog-p00p from the deer feeder/farm attachments they'd utilized, and since Dave preferred the YJ tailgate, he went for it... and did an awesome job, I must say. I actually think I might like it better than the CJ tailgate - it looks a ton cleaner after all, but after replacing my corners around 12 years ago, I'm happy with what I have (not looking to change that).

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #55 of 64 Old 07-22-2021, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
To add to Mister4x4's excellent explanation, I also changed the supports for the door opening. As a 1980 CJ, it still used the rotary handles with the flat striker plate, using angled sheet metal from the wheel house to just behind the door opening. I put in actual B-pillars to accommodate the striker pins for the YJ half doors.

Klooge really does live up to his name!

Front to back:

258 I6 vs. 304 V8
YJ Half Doors
B Pillars vs. Angled Sheet Metal
YJ Rear Corners
YJ Tailgate
YJ Cross Member
YJ Gas Tank

B-Pillar action:

creative-mounting.jpg

drv-door-works.jpg
CJWoodman likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #56 of 64 Old 07-22-2021, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Figuring out why LED lights don't work is always fun. Some people have no problems, some can't make it work no matter what they try. I think it has something to do with Karma or Magic maybe.
Check the phone book for a Witch Doctor/Wizard/Alchemist/Monk/Cluricaune for help and send Murphy a 12 pack to keep him occupied until your done.
Well, the Grote relays didn't work out. So, back to the AAW relays.

Murphy evidently didn't like my choice of whiskey. Got any suggestions? :P

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #57 of 64 Old 07-22-2021, 11:55 AM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Well, considering Murphy's Irish, I'd go with Jameson or Bushmills... maybe even Dead Rabbit... because the rest of 'the good stuff' is either just not affordable, or 'mixer' quality.
Mongo228 likes this.

Eric

post #58 of 64 Old 07-22-2021, 12:53 PM
ranger83
1986 CJ7 

Cool, I sincerely hope that my question didn't offend you in any way. I saw the fuel filler on the driver's side but somehow missed the part of you welding in the corners of the YJ. You have done amazing work on this Jeep.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228 View Post
To add to Mister4x4's excellent explanation, I also changed the supports for the door opening. As a 1980 CJ, it still used the rotary handles with the flat striker plate, using angled sheet metal from the wheel house to just behind the door opening. I put in actual B-pillars to accommodate the striker pins for the YJ half doors.

Klooge really does live up to his name!

Front to back:

258 I6 vs. 304 V8
YJ Half Doors
B Pillars vs. Angled Sheet Metal
YJ Rear Corners
YJ Tailgate
YJ Cross Member
YJ Gas Tank

B-Pillar action:

Attachment 3999055

Attachment 3999057
Mongo228 likes this.

Ranger83
86 CJ7(current)
83CJ5(former)
post #59 of 64 Old 07-22-2021, 01:57 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228 View Post
Well, the Grote relays didn't work out. So, back to the AAW relays.

Murphy evidently didn't like my choice of whiskey. Got any suggestions? :P
How do you feel about starting a new post to trouble shoot the problem.

List what bulbs you have old or new harness. etc. and what problems you have.

Mine conversion jumped from one problem to another when swapping to all LEDs,
I'll see if I can find my old posts.

I remember most of my problems went away with some funny little adapter for the fender lights.

But if you want to keep it here, that's fine also.

If you mean the flasher relay, this is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

had to use the supplied socket adapter to get it to work.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #60 of 64 Old 07-22-2021, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Cool, I sincerely hope that my question didn't offend you in any way. I saw the fuel filler on the driver's side but somehow missed the part of you welding in the corners of the YJ. You have done amazing work on this Jeep.

Mark
Oh, no offense at all! In my updates, I tried to hit the highlights, so may have left out some important bits. No worries!

And, thank you! I admit to becoming somewhat obsessed, hence the rapid work.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in