1980 CJ 7 Resurrection (Klooge) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 143 Old 05-24-2021, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Wow, has it really been a MONTH??? Time flies, eh?

Right ... let's hit the highlights:

1. The frame mostly done; just need to run fuel lines (which I got today!).

new-treads-one.jpg

2. Got the passenger floor done. I generally suck at cutting patches that fit well enough to do butt welds, so I cut this over-sized, plug welded it in, the hit things with seam sealer.
It may not be "pretty", but it works. Grinders, seam sealer, body filler (limited use!), and bed liner can help cover a multitude of sins.

pax-floor-pan-plugged-.jpg

3. Saving the windshield frame. It was actually in decent shape, just in need of some TLC.

windshiel-view-2.jpg

4. New A pillar is in. THAT was a PITA to get out!!!

new-pillar-place.jpg

5. I took out the welded supports and put in B pillars.

just-few-spots-welding.jpg

6. ... and this is why I went with the B pillars; YJ half doors.

door-will-close.jpg

7. And here's the YJ tailgate. Told ya, the CJ is gonna be a mixed DNA BEAST!

yj-tailgate-done.jpg

8. After doing some work on the drv side, I wanted to make sure I wasn't buggering things up, so did a quick dry-run of the soft top.

top-fits.jpg

9. Got the drv door in, too!

drv-door-works.jpg

10. And here is the (I think!) last patch I have to cut and fit. Figures it would take me until the last patch to figure out how things work.

Name:  last patch.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  22.8 KB

Here's a link to my YouTube channel, Project Klooge. Have a look-see if you're interested.

The body filler should be here in a few days. That's the next step. Then priming the bare metal for doing a proper job of installing bed liner. They used some spray-in stuff before. Some areas are paper thin, others were almost 1/8" thick!!

STJP, devildog80 and Mister4x4 like this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

"Grinders and Paint Make You The Welder You Ain't!" -- from a t-shirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 143 Old 05-24-2021, 10:57 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Awesome work Dave
Mongo228 likes this.
post #33 of 143 Old 07-06-2021, 10:44 AM
E5E

1980 CJ7 

I'm starting on the same journey you're on. Picked up my 1980 CJ7 a week ago outside of Lubbock. Lots of rust to deal with. Evidently there are some creeks in that area that have a high saline content. So far haven't seen any frame rust, but tub is still on. Your thread is good inspiration.
Mongo228 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 143 Old 07-08-2021, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E5E View Post
I'm starting on the same journey you're on. Picked up my 1980 CJ7 a week ago outside of Lubbock. Lots of rust to deal with. Evidently there are some creeks in that area that have a high saline content. So far haven't seen any frame rust, but tub is still on. Your thread is good inspiration.
Phew, sounds like you have your work cut out for you! If I can be of any help or answer questions, I'll be happy to do what I can.

I need to post a major update; probably will this weekend. I'm at the point of troubleshooting ignition issues (Howell TBI, no spark, yay!) as well as tracking down potential wiring faults.

Best of luck to you! I'll look for a "baby book" thread!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #35 of 143 Old 07-08-2021, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Wow, time for a major update! Time really does fly when you're having fun!

A lot has happened since the last update.

Exhaust is in in a "preliminary" state. I'm not happy with how the passenger side turned out. Thanks to the Hedman header outlet/collector locations/angles, I had to get creative. The pax exhaust wound up routed under the skid plate on the driver's side, then doing a left turn along the back edge of the skid plate, then doing an upward/rearward turn. Long story short, it's ugly, I don't like it, so it's going to be redone. Might prove a little rough, as the body is back on the frame. Heck, at this point, I'm trying to get the beast running again!

Ok, just gonna hit some of the highlights for now.

Here's "The Board, V2" ... already done. Gotta snap V3 ... already mostly done!

board.jpg

This resembles a Jeep. Sorta.

looking-almost-like-jeep.jpg

Two shots of the body done with Rust Bullet.

footwell-one.jpg

rear-view-one.jpg.jpg

If you're going to put bed liner in the tub, I would recommend something other than Herculiner. It's a great product, but the rubber chunks make it like 40 grit sandpaper.

bed-lined-efi-ecu.jpg

A couple of shots of the exhaust, and the creative routing needed.

pax-routing-2.jpg

tinker-toy-time.jpg

Last but not least, as he sits right now. American Autowire harness, Howell CARB EFI. He'll crank like a champ, just won't spark. Cantankerous old prick. :P

lights-one.jpg

Parts continue to trickle in. More updates to come!
Attached Thumbnails
lights three.jpg   dash panel two.jpg  
CJWoodman likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #36 of 143 Old 07-08-2021, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
A quick addendum ... Klooge, as his name implies, is not perfect. I'm not a pro at this; I've been learning as I go. He will have bumps, scars, and imperfections, just like pretty much all of us. He is, after all, a 41 year old Jeep that's led a ROUGH life. I have no doubt he's gonna look GOOD! But not "show-room perfect." As this project has progressed, I came to realize more and more, from MY point of view, Klooge should wear the blemishes as badges of pride. Been through Hell, and came out the other side, beaten, bloodied, but ultimately, still functional!

Now, just need to figure out this "no spark" deal ...

Dave
Mesa, AZ

Last edited by Mongo228; 07-09-2021 at 12:55 PM. Reason: *Edited to fix a typo
post #37 of 143 Old 07-08-2021, 12:39 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Good to hear Klooge is trying, and hope you find the issue soon. Sure it is just that one wire not just right somewhere.
Can put some time into the weekend schedule, if you need an extra hand.
Mongo228 likes this.
post #38 of 143 Old 07-10-2021, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I had a post ready to go ... hit submit ... and it went *POOF*.

Here we go again:

Far be it from me to turn down the help of a willing pair of hands!

Sunday is looking good. Text me, we'll figure it out.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #39 of 143 Old 07-10-2021, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
It's late as heck, and I'm tired. No pics.

1. Put in an HEI distributor. Initially 180 out .. fixed that ... now will start and run for a few seconds.
2. Throws a code 33 - too much air getting in. Got a manifold leak @ #4 intake, so loose fuel runs down the block. So, get to get new gaskets and re-try sealing.
3. Turn signals sorta work. Key in RUN, blinkers. Headlights on ... no signals. 4-ways? Forget it.
4. Driver's seat installed. MasterCraft 620030 Seat Slider for 76-95 Jeep CJ & Wrangler YJ are POSs. Y'all should take a hard pass if you're considering them.
5. There is no item 5.
6. Heading to bed.
Mister4x4 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #40 of 143 Old 07-11-2021, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Today was a bit of a slow day. My tank is down to fumes right now; I've been pushing HARD, and in 110+ degree heat, it takes a toll. Lots of water, lots of salt (electrolyte drinks don't replace NaCl lost to perspiration), still dealing with leg cramps.

Getting old sucks.

At any rate, I got the roll bar back in today. Put a "denim" pad on it, as well as set it up for 3-point belts, which also went in today.

roll-bar.jpg

I clambered in today, and was reminded of how much it's like strapping on a roller skate for guys my size (6' 4", 270 lbs). It is nice, though, to have all the controls within easy arm's reach without stretching. Definitely need to put some sort of step/runner on it. It is exactly 24" to the bottom of the rocker panel from the floor, and I ain't gettin' any younger! :P

Working on getting lighting issues handled. I had wanted to go full LED, but it doesn't look like that this is happening any time soon. I put in two polarity-ignoring flashers, and made sure I had polarity-ignoring LEDs all around. No joy. So, I went back to incandescent bulbs, full signals lights off or full on. Running lights just act odd. I get no flash, and the headlight halo turns amber. Meh, I can live with that. Now I need to get backup lights fixed.

Here's the front end lit up ...

all-lit-up.jpg
Mister4x4 and First-Jeep like this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #41 of 143 Old 07-11-2021, 12:26 PM
Mister4x4

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228 View Post
A quick addendum ... Klooge, as his name implies, is not perfect. I'm not a pro at this; I've been learning as I go. He will have bumps, scars, and imperfections, just like pretty much all of us. He is, after all, a 41 year old Jeep that's led a ROUGH life. I have no doubt he's gonna look GOOD! But not "show-room perfect." As this project has progressed, I came to realize more and more, from MY point of view, Klooge should wear the blemishes as badges of pride. Been through Hell, and came out the other side, beaten, bloodied, but ultimately, still functional!
Coming along VERY nicely. You've done a helluva job in a very short time, as car restoration projects go. Regardless of whatever insignificant imperfections that might show up in the finished product, you should be nothing but proud of the work you've done, given the ridiculously poor condition of that hapless turd of a Jeep I sent home with you.

I'm ashamed to admit that I stalled out on Dookie (OK, more like never really got started), but as you know a lot's happened since you took Klooge home. Hopefully, I'll get busy soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo228
Working on getting lighting issues handled. I had wanted to go full LED, but it doesn't look like that this is happening any time soon. I put in two polarity-ignoring flashers, and made sure I had polarity-ignoring LEDs all around. No joy. So, I went back to incandescent bulbs, full signals lights off or full on. Running lights just act odd. I get no flash, and the headlight halo turns amber. Meh, I can live with that. Now I need to get backup lights fixed.
I would check the polarity of the headlight switch... it sounds like the ground and positive for the parking lamps might be reversed somewhere in the circuit. I would also disconnect the headlight halos until you have the parking lamp/flashing sorted out, then reconnect and go from there. Remember, the main signals flash (on, off, on...), with the fender indicators flashing opposingly (off, on, off...), while the rear indicators do not flash at all - only the taillights flash on the back end. Hope that helps.
Mongo228 likes this.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #42 of 143 Old 07-11-2021, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Y'know, when I read "hapless turd," I immediately went into defensive mode, thinking "he was NOT a hapless turd!" Then I thought about it some more, and yeah, he kinda was. Thing is, neither of us knew the extent of the damage/rot. On the surface, he really didn't look too bad! Then I got the first 5 lb batch of bondo off. The rest, as they say, is history.

Thank you for the support!

Sent you an email ... didn't think to check the switch polarity. I was just rolling with "plug n play" on the AAW harness. I'm learning that it is anything BUT.
Mister4x4 likes this.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #43 of 143 Old 07-20-2021, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Huzzah!

Klooge is now streetable!

DevilDog80 and his grandson came over on Saturday and helped me bleed the brakes. My vacuum pump was pulling air around the threads of the bleeder valves, giving me lots of bubbles, but not helping much. With their help (and the youngun learning something!), we got the issue sorted.

The Howell EFI works well. When it works. It's twitchy about getting a tach signal. As long as it gets the tach signal, it's happy as clam!

I have some work left to do. Still trying to sort out why the American Autowire harness is having fits over the LEDs. I made sure to get polarity "insensitive" LEDs. 4-ways work ... lights off or just parking lights. Turn signals work wonderfully all around with the lights off. Lights on, front markers and tail lights blink, headlight halos turn yellow. Trying to get them to flash. I've tried several different flasher relays, all supposed to work with LEDs, including the ones recommended by AAW. AAW suggested it was a bad ground. Well, I fixed that potential issue. Pax side is grounded to the frame, drv side is grounded to the firewall, grounds verified good using test light. If this next batch of flashers doesn't work, screw it. I'm not throwing any more money at the problem.

I need to throw final color, but I'm not doing that when the temps in the garage, shop fans blowing, hover around 120 F. I have the color ... I just don't want heat stroke!

The bumper is a DIY bumper from JCR Off Road. It comes flat-packed; you bend/weld it up. So, all the welds are mine.

looking-good.jpg

Got the diamond plate painted up and mounted. I like the black.

i-like-black-armor.jpg

Back end all ready for plates! And that is a seriously heavy duty tire carrier. Also, yes, that is TRUE dual exhaust for a 258/4.2L!

ready-plates.jpg

Shot of the dash ... I like the Speedhut GPS speedometer. Seems to work like a charm! The gas gauge, tho, seems to be a bit finicky. There's a YJ 15 gallon tank/sending unit residing out back. The Ohm range is pretty broad ... Empty 0-3, Full 83-90. There should be 5-6 gallons in the tank, but it's only showing right around 1/4 tank. Fortunately, I can do a custom program. Just need the resistances empty and full, then Bob's your uncle! Forgot I had the doors on for that shot. The doors need some ... adjustment ... before I can put them on.

pax-side-cabin.jpg

I'm waiting on underwriting to finish up paperwork for collector insurance. Once I get that, I'm heading to DMV to get titled/registered!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

Last edited by Mongo228; 07-20-2021 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Edited for content.
post #44 of 143 Old 07-20-2021, 05:15 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Figuring out why LED lights don't work is always fun. Some people have no problems, some can't make it work no matter what they try. I think it has something to do with Karma or Magic maybe.
Check the phone book for a Witch Doctor/Wizard/Alchemist/Monk/Cluricaune for help and send Murphy a 12 pack to keep him occupied until your done.
bob4703, Mister4x4 and Mongo228 like this.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #45 of 143 Old 07-20-2021, 11:55 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Yes.....Klooge Lives
When I was first introduced to Klooge a few short months ago, I saw a "rode hard put up wet" old farm Jeep, and could not see the vision Dave had for his future. About half of the body sheet metal was gone, frame had major rust issues, and surprised he was still standing on his own 4 tires. Very tired, tore up, neglected, sick old rig.
With Dave holding to his dream, and many many hours of hard frustrating work, Klooge rides out like a new one. Someday perhaps I will get the honor of sitting in the drivers seat, turn the key, and drive around the block, then I can tell you how it drives out, but for now it is an absolute miracle (in my view) how nice Klooge has turned out.
All kudos to Dave for every bit of the work put into another, almost lost loved one, brought back from the brink!
Now, I wait patiently, for weather to cool here in the desert, and Dave to have it streetable, so we can take Gramps and Klooge out for a little mud on the tires. Throw in "the fam", some cool drinks, snacks, and head to where the cactus roam, for some 4x4 testing. Gotta make sure that all works too
Mister4x4 and Mongo228 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in