1980 CJ-7 Rebuild - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
maxamellious

1980 CJ7 

1980 CJ-7 Rebuild

Hello! So, I've decided to take the plunge and buy a Jeep. The theory is the Jeep will be something the entire family can enjoy. I've always been a motorcycle kind of guy, and have reached a point in my life where things are changing. After doing quite a bit of research, market evaluations, and just getting a better idea of what Jeeps are selling for based on condition etc. I decided to buy a two owner CJ7. This thing does not have a square inch of rust on it and everything works. Now it's time to address some of it's underlying (40 yr. old issues). Most (if not all) of the gaskets/seals appear to be weeping oil. Can anyone shine a little light on where to start with a project like this? IMHO I was going to change the engine oil, and all the gear oil. That being said input on seal/gasket kits, oil brands/weights/type would be huge!
Might I add, I drove this from the Jeeps private owners home 450 miles without a hitch! Passes my worthiness test! Thank you in advance for all of those that provide me with genuine, and value added answers! Take care.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 PM
JonSpr

Buy your new rubber weatherstrips from domestic "makers" (not necessarily "suppliers") ... the offshore stuff is notorious for sun damage (no UV protection) after awhile ... my Jeep is an 83 CJ7 Limited.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 PM
mikeyboat
1979 CJ7 

Should go ahead and bookmark this page: http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/

lots of folks swear by cork gaskets for the diffs, and other folks just seal 'em up with liquid gasket. Kind of the same with oil/brands - you'll get suggestions all over the spectrum if you wait long enough.

There's lots of great documentation in the STICKIES thread at the top of the page here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c...d-faqs-616192/

Track down a copy of the technical/full service manual - I've got a hard copy, so don't have a link handy.

Clean it up, so you can see where the leaks are

Hope this helps, and good luck. There's tons of quality knowledge on this site, and more importantly, active users willing to share it. Welcome! and congrats on the new Jeep

post #4 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Welcome to the jeep forum....
Please update your profile with your location.....it helps to give you better answers.

Feel free to post pics....especially of the engine....we need to know what you have.

As for the engine....expect ALL of the rubber to be past it's life. Not a big deal....just takes time. If your engine has the plastic valve cover...good chance it's leaking.

Get us those pics.....and let us know what you want to do with the jeep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-22-2019, 06:53 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Welcome!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
maxamellious

1980 CJ7 

Thanks for all the input! Not only am I learning about the Jeep life I’m learning how to navigate around forums. I’ve only ever been a reader... I’ll work on the pics.

I’m from South Dakota so conditions go from one extreme to the next, and reliability is key because it’s not uncommon to be well over an hour from anywhere.

Thanks again,
Max
post #7 of 11 Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamellious View Post
Thanks for all the input! Not only am I learning about the Jeep life I’m learning how to navigate around forums. I’ve only ever been a reader... I’ll work on the pics.

I’m from South Dakota so conditions go from one extreme to the next, and reliability is key because it’s not uncommon to be well over an hour from anywhere.

Thanks again,
Max
Well then.....we should have fun helping you spend your money.....Jeep

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-23-2019, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
maxamellious

1980 CJ7 

Here’s a shot of the engine. I have a 5-speed manual transmission in my Jeep. Did they put 5 speeds in, in 1980 or is it likely to have been replaced with a later trans? I’ll get more pics of Diffs, trans, and t-case.
Attached Thumbnails
EDA21A8F-5D53-41E8-AC7D-9A8A72CC2B35_1558609371649.jpg  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 PM
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Hereís a shot of the engine. I have a 5-speed manual transmission in my Jeep. Did they put 5 speeds in, in 1980 or is it likely to have been replaced with a later trans? Iíll get more pics of Diffs, trans, and t-case.
According to Novak, AMC was not using 5 speed transmissions in 1981. Probably it would have been easy to swap in a Borg Warner T5 so that may be what it has.

"I give you a republic, if you can keep it." - Benjamin Franklin
post #10 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 07:05 AM
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for all the input! Not only am I learning about the Jeep life Iím learning how to navigate around forums. Iíve only ever been a reader... Iíll work on the pics.

Iím from South Dakota so conditions go from one extreme to the next, and reliability is key because itís not uncommon to be well over an hour from anywhere.

Thanks again,
Max
Which part of South Dakota are you from? I only live about 15 miles from the Iowa/South Dakota border.

79 CJ5
post #11 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Looks like a nice clean CJ. Congrats!!

If this CJ were mine, I'd start with getting the proper fuel filter and fuel line configuration in the engine compartment. I'd also re-connect the vapor canister. Then, I'd start looking for a factory off-set air cleaner assembly. Those dinky Weber air filters are worthless, IMO.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in