1979 cj7 amc 304 engine power issue - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SC401

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
CJ7MAVERICK

1979 cj7 amc 304 engine power issue

Hello I have a 1979 cj7 with amc 304 fully stock except the intake manifold and carb which are both edelbrock. So I was driving back home an decided to give her a little rip just before i got to the last road to my house. started from a dead stop going through all 3 gears an I noticed that just before I switch from 2nd to 3rd that it fell on its face at the top end of the 2nd gear didnt really think anything of it until I took it back out the next day an realized that it was down on power. Usually from 1st to going to 2nd I can spin the tires a good bit but when I tried to spin the tires it wouldnt even try if I tried to. It seems to be down on power overall through out the whole rpm range from what I am use to. Also the same day I noticed this issue that the motor had I slight knock but quickly went away after a few seconds an didnt do it again. I check the fluids everything look good. What could have cause the issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Yesterday, 02:40 PM
SC401
1979 CJ7 

Garage
Might sound crazy but check to make sure the distributor isnt loose and rotating making the timing off.
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Check fuel filter. Was Jeep low on fuel? Might have sucked up some garbage from tank.

Fuel Filter oriented properly - with return outlet to fuel tank on top?

Fuel Pump?

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
CJ7MAVERICK

Just got done checking fuel filters and fuel lines every looks good. I just replaced the fuel pump about 200 miles ago. Also checked timing while I was checking to see if the distributor came loose the distributor was tight still. I did notice that timing was jumping around a little bit about 3 to 5 degrees. I didnt notice this the last time I timed it about 5 months ago. Is that normal for these motors?
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
CJ7MAVERICK

Also fuel wasn't low about 50% to 75% full of gas in the gas tank. I also replaced the gas tank 2 months ago so there shouldn't be much if any trash in the gas tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in