1979 CJ5 value - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By acgcoug

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
shgreen1

1979 CJ5 value

Hi. I'm new to this forum and new to Jeeps in general. I'm looking at a 79 CJ5. It has the 304 V8 engine and 3 speed trans. The engine started right up from cold and sounded really smooth and quiet.

There is some very minor surface rust on the frame, but it looks remarkably clean for a 40 year old vehicle. The current owner tells me he purchased it from someone in Arizona 15 years ago, only drove the Jeep during the summer and kept it in a garage so I guess I buy that. There are a couple of small spots of rust bubbling through the body, but everywhere else on the body is very solid. New tires. There is a small hole in the upholstery on the driver seat. He has the soft doors, but no top.

I haven't been able to drive it yet, but I will this Saturday. He is asking $8500. That seems a bit steep to me, but I really don't have a great feel on pricing for Jeeps. Any thoughts? Anything specific I should be checking before buying?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 08:10 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Are you tall or big (hmmph... eat well?) in which case does that seat fit? I see that seat jammed all the way back. A CJ7 has more space.

It looks very basic and is lacking the rain gear. OK with a bikini for the summer but in winter you will need to spend to get either a full soft top or hardtop and doors.

So, is it an original 1979 Renegade? No.

Paint is not original at least in part. The Renegade emblems may not be original. You can tell because the Renegade package was more than just a name, there were stripes as well on the hood and lower sides. Wheels have been changed. Seats on a 1979 Renegade CJ5 would have been denim vinyl, those are not them. Dash pad missing. No spare wheel, should have been side mounted. Tailgate opens, not on a Renegade!

Nothing above detracts from a CJ, rare to find one that is not a mutt of some description. But it is not a collector's high ticket price CJ.

The stance is good (it looks lifted) and it looks like it is enthusiast owned, but it also shows its 40 years of age. It may have been maintained properly, but do not take this for granted. If it is genuinely rust free, this is a bonus.

If it is up and together and needs no work, just driving, again a bonus.

I occassionaly come across a cherished CJ but the owner then has a rose tinted view of what the CJ is and how much it is worth. i see nothing special about this one, in fact it is missing some of the essentials to keep off the sun and the rain. The price is wildly optimistic.

What it is worth depends on how much you want it and what options you have locally, Jeep prices are quite regional and this is not a collector's car. I would personally pay maybe $4500, but that is my market.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 08:20 PM
MetalMountainGoat
1985 CJ7 

It looks to be original, and in my area, original in good shape means more money. With that said, I think 8500 isn't a bad price for a mostly original one. Although in my area, 8500 buys you one that is a semi restored driver that just needs some finishing touches. completely restored with new paint or totally original but still new looking can bring close 20k or more.

Prices of older CJs are all over the place. The deciding factor on most of them when people buy them is how much rust it has.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jeepers, 20k?

I will think about shipping some of my junkers across once painted.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #5 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
shgreen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Are you tall or big (hmmph... eat well?) in which case does that seat fit? I see that seat jammed all the way back. A CJ7 has more space.

It looks very basic and is lacking the rain gear. OK with a bikini for the summer but in winter you will need to spend to get either a full soft top or hardtop and doors.

So, is it an original 1979 Renegade? No.

Paint is not original at least in part. The Renegade emblems may not be original. You can tell because the Renegade package was more than just a name, there were stripes as well on the hood and lower sides. Wheels have been changed. Seats on a 1979 Renegade CJ5 would have been denim vinyl, those are not them. Dash pad missing. No spare wheel, should have been side mounted. Tailgate opens, not on a Renegade!

Nothing above detracts from a CJ, rare to find one that is not a mutt of some description. But it is not a collector's high ticket price CJ.

The stance is good (it looks lifted) and it looks like it is enthusiast owned, but it also shows its 40 years of age. It may have been maintained properly, but do not take this for granted. If it is genuinely rust free, this is a bonus.

If it is up and together and needs no work, just driving, again a bonus.

I occassionaly come across a cherished CJ but the owner then has a rose tinted view of what the CJ is and how much it is worth. i see nothing special about this one, in fact it is missing some of the essentials to keep off the sun and the rain. The price is wildly optimistic.

What it is worth depends on how much you want it and what options you have locally, Jeep prices are quite regional and this is not a collector's car. I would personally pay maybe $4500, but that is my market.

Thanks for all the great information, I can use some of that to negotiate. I'm getting a little ahead of myself, I haven't even driven it yet. $8500 did seem very steep to me and it is good to know it isn't all original.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 PM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
When I first got 'Black Betty', 1978 CJ5 an EBay Jeep she was $4900 in 2005

[IMG][/IMG]

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #7 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 12:37 AM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
She now looks kind of like this;

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #8 of 15 Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 AM
acgcoug

1979 CJ5 

Garage
That price is quite steep, even for California pricing of CJ's.

Also, those little rust bubbles on the fenders and the A-pillar are 10 times worse than they appear. They are rotting from the inside out, so expect a fair amount of sheet metal and welding repairs + filler, primer/paint.
Guy Smilie likes this.

post #9 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 07:08 PM
tchimmerroks
1983 CJ5 

Everyone values things differently based on their wants/needs/expectations/experience/budget, etc. With that, generally, Jeep enthusiasts most value original, unmolested, rust-free specimens. As far as condition of sheetmetal/frame, I've owned a couple very nice ones, and a couple that suffered in the rust belt where I grew up (those were fiberglass body replacement jobs when you could still get them from the nearby manufacturer). I think taking the time to find a good, or very good, sun-belt specimen, that hasn't been left out in the elements, is your best bet. But, if you have metal fab skills, or are willing to develop them, and don't mind spending long hours bringing a CJ suffering from corrosion back to its former, self, there are lots of CJs out there from which to choose. As far as the Jeep your considering, as someone pointed out, it has visible corrosion, invariably if you see cancer on a CJ, there's lot's more you don't see. Also, as someone else pointed out, this Jeep is a mutt. Visors don't match seats (which look nicely re-done), paint and sticker not original, lifted springs (personally, de-value a Jeep), judging from size/style of steering wheel, it probably doesn't have power steering, if it has manual brakes as well, it's less valuable, wheels not original, exhaust not original, lacks top, dashpad, wiring often needs overhaul, engine may lack original air intake, exhaust manifolds, jack, radiator shroud, etc. All these things add up. I think you could do much better for $8,500.00.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
shgreen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by acgcoug View Post
That price is quite steep, even for California pricing of CJ's.

Also, those little rust bubbles on the fenders and the A-pillar are 10 times worse than they appear. They are rotting from the inside out, so expect a fair amount of sheet metal and welding repairs + filler, primer/paint.
Ugggg. Good to know!
post #11 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
shgreen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchimmerroks View Post
Everyone values things differently based on their wants/needs/expectations/experience/budget, etc. With that, generally, Jeep enthusiasts most value original, unmolested, rust-free specimens. As far as condition of sheetmetal/frame, I've owned a couple very nice ones, and a couple that suffered in the rust belt where I grew up (those were fiberglass body replacement jobs when you could still get them from the nearby manufacturer). I think taking the time to find a good, or very good, sun-belt specimen, that hasn't been left out in the elements, is your best bet. But, if you have metal fab skills, or are willing to develop them, and don't mind spending long hours bringing a CJ suffering from corrosion back to its former, self, there are lots of CJs out there from which to choose. As far as the Jeep your considering, as someone pointed out, it has visible corrosion, invariably if you see cancer on a CJ, there's lot's more you don't see. Also, as someone else pointed out, this Jeep is a mutt. Visors don't match seats (which look nicely re-done), paint and sticker not original, lifted springs (personally, de-value a Jeep), judging from size/style of steering wheel, it probably doesn't have power steering, if it has manual brakes as well, it's less valuable, wheels not original, exhaust not original, lacks top, dashpad, wiring often needs overhaul, engine may lack original air intake, exhaust manifolds, jack, radiator shroud, etc. All these things add up. I think you could do much better for $8,500.00.

This is all fantastic information to have. As I really have trouble estimating value of these things, there is so much that go into them. Buying and selling other used cars, at least you can get some reasonable estimates on value, but with Jeeps the collector's value really tosses a wrench into the works!
post #12 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
shgreen1

Taking into account everything that everyone has said, I looked at another CJ5 today.

1979 CJ5, straight 6, 3 speed
New Bestop seats and soft top and soft doors.
New radiator.
New gas tank.
New shocks
New fuel pump
New battery

New 30" tires including spare.
The frame was rebuilt and the original body was repainted the original color.

I crawled around all under it and the frame does look almost entirely new, no rust. I also could not find any rust on the repainted body. It started right up and drove very well. He is asking $9500 but seems willing to negotiate a bit.

I'm going to be taking another look at it next week. What are some specific things I should be looking for in addition to rust?
Attached Thumbnails
jeep 2.jpg   jeep 1.jpg   jeep 3.jpg   jeep 4.jpg  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-18-2019, 09:13 AM
tchimmerroks
1983 CJ5 

Nice find, it looks to be nicely restored. I noted the steering wheel is not OEM, and doesn't have dashpad. Both are easy fixes though. Black dashpads are plentiful, and you can paint them w/auto interior, plastic paint. Which is what I did to mine. I used Eastwoods, in camel color (which I think would compliment your top & seats nicely) but there are other paint companies that sell the same product/shades. I also used another shade to highlight the raised logo in the pad. The only other things you might want to inspect are the wiring, and steering components (a test drive will provide much insight on this) If the wiring is original, you may have electrical gremlins, and if the handling is poor because of worn/damaged/loose steering/suspension components, you'll have to fix as necessary. Re-doing wiring is a big job, but companies sell simple, or elaborate re-wire kits. I installed the high-end Painless kit, I still thought it was a challenging install, but worth it. Steering/suspension components work, (steering column bearing, steering shaft, gearbox, ball joints, tie rod ends, drag link, anti sway bar/bushings, shocks, springs) I think is less difficult (other than the steering column bearing), but if you have to replace any of those things be sure to use good quality, made in USA components. I'd say for about the same amount of $$, the green Jeep appears to be a much better value. Good luck.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-18-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
shgreen1

Thanks for all the input everyone. I pulled the trigger today, the current owner agreed to $8500. I did test drive it and the steering and handling all seemed tight. I drove the white one listed above and it was all over the place!
post #15 of 15 Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shgreen1 View Post
Thanks for all the input everyone. I pulled the trigger today, the current owner agreed to $8500. I did test drive it and the steering and handling all seemed tight. I drove the white one listed above and it was all over the place!
That's steep, but the white one looked like a dented POS to me. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes/LoD bumpers
99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in