1978 CJ5 Outboard Rails - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-17-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
DSwayne
1978 CJ5 

1978 CJ5 Outboard Rails

Recently picked up 78 CJ5. Overall decent shape but the floor pans, outboard rails and the sections of the traverse where the outboard rails attached are in awful shape. Its to the point that I can's see how the rails attach at the traverse. If anyone has a picture or could take one and post it I would be very grateful. Getting these few pieces welded in is the only thing keeping me from getting the seats back in it and taking it for a spin. I attached a pic of the rails. The CJ7 rails are a bit longer but probably sit the same so a pic of those would probably work. Also, I understand that the captured nut will attach to the rubber bushing but could anyone tell me what the two threaded holes are to the right and left of the captured nut? Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180317_102649556_BURST000_COVER.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-09-2018, 08:11 AM
CJ5Rivet

In the same boat

Did you every figure this out? I just bought a 77 CJ5 and I will need to replace the same parts as you. Both outboard rails and driver side traverse will be replaced on mine but I can't find any kind of diagram or anything to. The only thing I can find is a picture of a CJ5 tub on it's side. Does replacing these parts require the tub to be removed from the frame?
post #3 of 4 Old 08-09-2018, 04:53 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Here's where they mount. There appears to be a small hole that it's centered on the traverse based on my pic.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Jeepdvm

I know it’s an old thread, but I need to replace the same sections on my 78 cj5. Could you tell me more about the process? Did require a lot of welding? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in