• 1 Post By Hurricane4

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
brianscoob
Big Sauce AMC 401

1976 CJ7 

Garage
1976 Jeep CJ7 401 advise on Oil and Filter

I'm looking for some good advice on what oil and oil filter I should use in my AMC 401?

Btw I searched a lot of different words and really didn't come up with the information I was looking for. I'm relatively new this Forum even though I signed up sometime ago and I know people get a bit edgy if you ask questions that have been asked over and over. The PO of my CJ7 new very little about this CJ7 after owning it for several years so I knew some research was going to need to be done. From what I see is the 304/360/401 are all from the same block. Does that mean the oil filter from a 304 fit a 401? I've got a defective knee that's getting fixed next week and I tried to see what info was on the filter in the Jeep and I couldn't make out what it said. The oil is black on the dipstick so it needs be changed before I use it again, I've only had it a couple weeks Thank you Jeep Gurus!

1. Jeep 401 best oil filter and part number
2. What oil? I was thinking the standard 1040 but I want to know what you think. The engine runs great and I think it's just got a mild cam in it, so I have no idea how many miles are on it.

Thank you everyone for your time

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Hurricane4
1979 CJ5 

I use Valvoline VR1 10W-30 conventional oil with a WIX 51258 Oil Filter for the 304 V8 in my '79 CJ5.

Don't know if the oil filter is the correct part number for your 401. Per Valvoline web site:

Valvoline™ VR1 Racing Oil's high zinc provides race-level protection for high performance engines on the race track and is compatible with passenger vehicles.

High zinc/phosphorus for anti-wear protection, including push-rod & flat tappet applications
Formulated to increase horsepower
Enhanced anti-foam system protects engine during extreme stress
Recommended for engines burning gasoline and full or partial alcohol fuels
Shawn Watson and brianscoob like this.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
brianscoob
Big Sauce AMC 401

1976 CJ7 

Garage
Hurricane4 I really appreciate your help. You gave me some great information and I'm going to check out the Valvoline website right now. I need to do some research on the AMC 401 engine and find out more about what I have and how to properly maintain it.

Thank you for this information!

post #4 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 10:04 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Any quality 10-40 auto or 15-40 diesel oil will be fine.

Same goes for the filter. While many claim a problem with Fram, I have used them off and on for years. If you are concerned, a Wix, Motorcraft, AC or the like will do fine.

Maintaining the schedualed oil changes are more important than oil and filter quality.
brianscoob likes this.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #5 of 12 Old 09-09-2019, 11:08 AM
cw05
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post

Maintaining the schedualed oil changes are more important than oil and filter quality.
Agree with this! That said, I use the Baldwin B9 filter and Joe Gibbs 10w30 conventional oil and have had good success with my 401 flat tappet cam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...SABEgJSbvD_BwE
Shawn Watson and brianscoob like this.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-09-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
brianscoob
Big Sauce AMC 401

1976 CJ7 

Garage
I thank all of guys! Information is hard to decode when all I know is my CJ7 has a 401 in it. When my mobility increases over the next month I will get some numbers off the engine to try and see what this engine came out of. I did get a number of a PO from years ago that might know more of this history of this new-to-me toy. I've only driven it once for less than 30 yards and that was getting it into my garage and that is killing me! If all goes well on my knee surgery three weeks from know I will be driving this beast.

Thank you!
post #7 of 12 Old 09-09-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
brianscoob
Big Sauce AMC 401

1976 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw05 View Post
Agree with this! That said, I use the Baldwin B9 filter and Joe Gibbs 10w30 conventional oil and have had good success with my 401 flat tappet cam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...SABEgJSbvD_BwE
Ordered, two thumbs up!
post #8 of 12 Old 09-09-2019, 08:32 PM
Hurricane4
1979 CJ5 

Good luck with the knee surgery!
Hoover7 likes this.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
brianscoob
Big Sauce AMC 401

1976 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks guys as I'm getting the pre-nerviuosment of having to be operated on. My new to me CJ7 is in my garage waiting for me. Soon as a performance shop i'm working with they are going to swap a 700r4 in and take out the t-18 s speed. With 4.56 gears and the t-18 i'm going 6-7 mph in second gear and I want something with a little more Cruise-abilty so I can conquer the asphalt along with the trails. The .70 OD on the 700r4 will get moving in the 60's at 2,000 rpm's. I really think this will be a great setup with the 401-700r4-300-4.56-Dana 44. I'll be into this Jeep about $10,000 after the swap, which is what my budget was when I was out looking for a Jeep. I noticed a little puddle of oil under on the ground from what looks to be the rear main seal. I dealt with this seal before 20 years ago on another Jeep project and I tried 3 or 4 main seals and I never did get it fixed before I sold it. Surgery, Swap, Seal is going to be my motto for a while.

Thanks for the getwell's
post #10 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

Yeah, man, best wishes on a speedy recovery. You still have plenty of knuckles to bust on this rig!

Hoov

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #11 of 12 Old 09-10-2019, 09:27 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscoob View Post
Information is hard to decode when all I know is my CJ7 has a 401 in it.
Not sure why you have that impression. The same things about oil and filters that apply to your 401 apply to just about any other engine.

The AMC V8s all use the same filter part numbers. One that fits a 304 also fits a 360 or 401. No need to make it any more complicated.

Personally I'm a fan of Baldwin, Wix, Purolator and/or Donaldson filters. NAPA are made by either Baldwin or Wix, I can't remember off the top of my head.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-11-2019, 08:36 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Usually the store brands have the same number as the name brand filter. The alpha prefix may be different.

When choosing oil take into consideration that this exotic oil wasn't around when your engine was new. What worked then will work now. Also you need to use a brand and type of oil that you can buy off the shelf any place you wheel and need to do an emergency oil change or add more than the spare quart you carry with you. On a planet far far away and light years ago I was driving my Power Wagon up a mountain trail and the truck in front of me kicked up a rock and it bounced and bounced and bounced until it struck under my truck and took the oil filter out. Parked it and went back to the highway and bought a filter and 6 quarts of Pennzoil which is what I used at the only store in East Podunk AR. My other choice was Quaker State.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in