1976 Jeep CJ5 ignition module mystery - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By billmasondds
  • 3 Post By billmasondds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-27-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
billmasondds

1976 Jeep CJ5 ignition module mystery

I have a 76 CJ5 with 54K miles. I got it 5 years ago with 49K and had the dealership here swap out the 232 with a 258 crate engine. Iíve had to repair little things here and there since then. 2 weeks ago I noticed that the ignition module had seen better days and decided to swap it out with a new one before it could fail on me. It runs great, etc. Iíve tried 4 modules made by Standard, Crown Automotive, Omix ADA, and today Duralast from Auto Zone. None of them would start the Jeep, but when I put the 44 year old original back on with the worn out wires and melting gel on the back, it starts right up and runs great. Any ideas?🤔. I will probably upgrade to HEI sometime this year but am holding off at this time because I just dropped some money on the Harley on a repair and was just hoping to swap out the module to buy some time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-27-2020, 08:50 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I don't consider an ignition module to be a periodic maintenance or tune up item. If the old one works, leave it be.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 06:46 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

None of the aftermarket replacement modules seem to get good reviews. They are mostly junk. It's extremely odd that none of them worked for you, though. I have no clue why that would be.

Most guys either upgrade to a HEI ignition, or go with a CDI setup, like a MSD 6a.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 07:16 AM
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Its weird that it would not start with all the aftermarket modules.
Maybe the harness connector got buggered over the years, and only makes a good connection with the factory module (ie bent, corroded, gunked)? or the new module is not making a good ground connection because.... jeep.

Those are all common jeep issues. That said, my prestolite gave me so much trouble over the years, I put the HEI in.... and have been happy ever since. Its pretty much drop and go.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 07:41 AM
exheep
1976 CJ5 

76 Would have originally been a Prestolite ignition, are you by chance trying to replace with a Duraspark/ MotoCraft from later years? Its a different distributor but a common upgrade.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
billmasondds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
I don't consider an ignition module to be a periodic maintenance or tune up item. If the old one works, leave it be.
Iím just afraid in the shape itís in with all of the gel melting off of the back that moisture is getting in that itís going to leave me on the side of the road one of these days (a total nightmare with severe Crohnís disease). Iím going to try to just go ahead with HEI soon. Is DUI pretty good? I know a lot of guys on here rave about MSD from my research on this forum. I thought about DUI since it doesnít need the separate module and is around $100 cheaper.
uptillnow likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
billmasondds

Quote:
Originally Posted by exheep View Post
76 Would have originally been a Prestolite ignition, are you by chance trying to replace with a Duraspark/ MotoCraft from later years? Its a different distributor but a common upgrade.
All 4 modules were for 75-77 with the prestolite ignition and all 4 were gold and looked exactly like my OE.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
billmasondds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
Its weird that it would not start with all the aftermarket modules.
Maybe the harness connector got buggered over the years, and only makes a good connection with the factory module (ie bent, corroded, gunked)? or the new module is not making a good ground connection because.... jeep.

Those are all common jeep issues. That said, my prestolite gave me so much trouble over the years, I put the HEI in.... and have been happy ever since. Its pretty much drop and go.
I thought of that also because the first one I tried was hard connecting so I cleaned out the harness with a couple of my dental tools to get the old gunk out and then it hooked up fine, as did the other 3. I think Iím just going to do HEI as soon as I can.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-28-2020, 03:09 PM
MrButterfield

1976 CJ5 

Garage
You wont regret it. Converting to HEI is still the best thing Ive done to my Jeep. It really brought it to life and took away so many rough running issues I kept chasing down.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-29-2020, 11:05 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmasondds View Post
I thought of that also because the first one I tried was hard connecting so I cleaned out the harness with a couple of my dental tools to get the old gunk out and then it hooked up fine, as did the other 3. I think Iím just going to do HEI as soon as I can.
Good idea, I couldn't even adjust the carb well until I put in a different ignition and got rid of that Prest-o-dark ignition system.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #11 of 11 Old 03-03-2020, 06:33 PM
blueseasons
2000 WJ 

I have had 2 CJ-7's. A 84 and 86. I know mine are different years than yours but they both ate up Ignition Modules. They would run with just about any brand, but most last no longer than 6 months top and would quit with no warning. When CarQuest came to town they had a lifetime warranty on every part for as long as one owned the vehicle. The only other parts sellar on the island was NAPA at the time. So i bought 2 CQ modules and I kept one in the center console. When one died, I brought it back with the receipt and I installed the other . They always gave me another and I did that for several years until they closed the store. And once after that I called the CarQuest store on Oahu and they mailed me one. I eventually sold my CJ's but I could never figure out why the ignition modules didnt hold up. I also carried a spare starter relay. They were mechanical and they went out frequently as well. Sometimes I'd just give it a hard whack and it would start working again but I used to do a lot of remote beach driving and even a CJ which are fairly light compared to other vehicles are dead weight if they dont start on the sand.

Tags
258 inline 6 , cj5 , ignition module , prestolite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in