1976 cj7 Brake conversion - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Cuzzzz

1994 YJ Wrangler 

1976 cj7 Brake conversion

Hello I am new to the forum and really love the site so far! I have just purchased a 1976 cj7 with a 360ci and a 3speed tranny. I really love this thing and have been working out a few kinks here and there. I am having a time finding info on a brake upgrade kit. This jeep has the BIG brakes so I am told and the front are manual disc and drum rear. Are there any kits out there to convert to power disc brakes with brackets booster, MC,calipers and rotors etc? On a budget that is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 AM
bluecollarguy
1981 CJ7 

i'm going to assume you mean a budlight budget and not a patron tequila one. The most common I've read about and have done is using a YJ brake booster, make sure to grab the mounting bracket when you're at the yard as well as the fittings as mine were different on my 81. The other common brake conversion that I've leaned of and am in the process of working on is a rear disk conversion. It uses rear calipers off of an '89 nissian 300z and front rotors off of a susuki samuri. there are other conversions that work, but this is the route i chose. There is more fabrication on some of these upgrades vs. more bolt on with kits such as from ssbc but they are far cheaper.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 AM
tdkask

The booster route will be your biggest improvement... and likely (like all CJ's) a thorough bleeding of the system. As you are new to it, I recommend taking small steps. Yes, this will be some double work and a little wasteful, but will benefit you in the end. First off make sure your shoes and pads are in good condition, and adjusted, replacing any too worn or glazed with age or overheating. Also, make sure your rear hardware is good. These little parts are cheap at almost any hardware store. Also, the rear wheel cylinders are cheap... if yours are questionable, just save yourself the trouble and replace them. When replacing rear shoes, cylinders, etc, only do one side at a time, as you may need to refer to the still-intact one when reassembling the one in work. You'll also want to look at brake soft lines for wear or swelling. Also not too expensive and would make a difference. When they swell instead of expanding wheel cylinder the the Jeep won't stop. Then flush the brake lines out... new fluid in reservoir and bleed them until the color changes to new fluid. I like speed bleeders. (Also worth the money, I feel.) See how it is then. It will still likely suck. But you want to remove too many variables. Then go the YJ upgrade route mentioned above, or any other various power brake conversions listed online. A search for "CJ7 brake conversions" will have tons of options likely. There are a few write-ups that walk through others' experiences, too. The other option, and far better supposedly, is hydroboost. I'm not too familiar, but there is info online. If you're not trying to go that far, consider what I laid out as your most sensible route.

One note... when you have improved it but everything is wrong... if you have fluid in the system and you don't see leaks, you need to better adjust and bleed more... then adjust better and bleed more. More. It really is that bad, and you'll doubt yourself... just check adjustment and bleed system.

80 CJ7_360/AW4/D300_44/9"(4.56)_bumpers/cage_linked on coilovers,tube fenders,comp cut/37s H1 rims

post #4 of 9 Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Best thing I have ever done on my 76 CJ was to add power brakes. I had to add disk brakes up front but you already have the best disk brakes for a CJ.

I used disk brakes from a 77 CJ. About $200 for the whole Jeep.
I added a CJ power booster with MC from an 84 CJ7 . A bolt on of course.
I installed an 84 Combination valve. You probably have the right one for your CJ anyway.
Installed all new Stainless steel brake lines. Worth the price as they still look brand new after years of plowing snow.
Installed Stainless Steel Braided lines. Totally changed the nature of braking.

SS lines for CJ 7 $179.00 : Classic tubes http://www.classictube.com/

Braided SS brake Kit. $115.00 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EXP-7405/?rtype=10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 9 Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Cuzzzz

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I wonder if there is a complete upgrade kit for around 500.00 just for the front
post #6 of 9 Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Cuzzzz

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for. The advice. I had an Episode this afternoon coming home from work. I went to stop at a light and the front was pulling to the right. After pulling off from the light and reaching 50 mph the front started to shimmy like something in the steering was getting ready to let go.needless to say my *** drew up because I thought it was over. My guess is that the calipers were sticking and I could smell brakes when I got home. Being that this a 1976 I have no idea what type calipers I have. I will take small steps to resolve these issues but towing is not an option at this point being that I have run thru two red lights thus far because of the poor braking. Feel free to throw and ideas out here. There is a bracket needed for the booster right?? Is it being reproduced or will I have to find a junker? Also will these brake parts off of an old jeep cherokee chief work? T
post #7 of 9 Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
tdkask

try this for starting guidelines...

http://street2mud.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28

80 CJ7_360/AW4/D300_44/9"(4.56)_bumpers/cage_linked on coilovers,tube fenders,comp cut/37s H1 rims
post #8 of 9 Old 08-09-2012, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Cuzzzz

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I will check online now and the yards tomorrow
post #9 of 9 Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 PM
sandstrom
1982 CJ7 

I upgraded my rear to disk for about 175 bucks 100% brand new that is... a few custom brackets and a couple hours later....
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0154.jpg   IMAG0155.jpg   IMAG0211.jpg  

mitch95

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in