1974 Jeep Cj5 correct coil wiring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-03-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
GaryK1941
1974 CJ5 

1974 Jeep Cj5 correct coil wiring

Hello everyone, I was curious if anyone here could or would be willing to help me in figuring out what the correct wiring for the coil in my 1974 Jeep Cj5 with a 258 inline 6 cylinder. I have four different wires that I can connect to the coil. One is black and runs from the bottom of the distributor, another is green and runs from the "I" side of the starter solenoid, there is also a red wire that I believe has a white stripe that runs down to the alternator/ voltage regulator, the last wire that I have is one that goes to a small component that is hooked to the part that holds the coil to the engine block which I believe is the ballast resistor. If it is of any help the jeep had an electrical fire a few years ago and I have put in a used harness from a jeep of a similar year, as I was told. Any replies or help is much appreciated, and I believe I can provide pictures if needed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 PM
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

The wire from the solenoid and the wire from the resistor go to + side of the coil. The wire from the distributor goes to the - side of the coil. Not sure about the wire from the alt. I don't think it hooks to the coil.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 AM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The coil needs power with the key in start from the fender solenoid and power with the key in run from the red with white stripe. The points in the distributor provide ground, so the black goes to the coil neg side.

The radio noise suppressor condenser, hooks onto the neg side as well. (Little round can shaped thing)

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
89 YJ Renegade. BBD Carbed 4.0 HO. Locked front and rear with 33x9.5 BFG AT's
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
GaryK1941
1974 CJ5 

Thank you guys for the information, so basically I have gathered that the green wire from the "I" fender solenoid needs to go to the "+" side of the coil as well as the wire with the red w/ white stripe from the alternator/ voltage regulator. The black wire from the bottom of the distributor as well as the wire off of the radio noise suppressor condenser bothe go to the "-" side of the coil. Correct me if I am wrong but that would be the right way to hook it up? I will hook it up asap and post what happens.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
GaryK1941
1974 CJ5 

Alrighty guys I cannot thank you enough. The jeep is running great and everything seems to be good, now just for the dash and everything else. Any recommendations?
post #6 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryK1941 View Post
Alrighty guys I cannot thank you enough. The jeep is running great and everything seems to be good, now just for the dash and everything else. Any recommendations?
The FSM or wiring diagram would really help you. I think your years one was posted recently. Even the Haynes CJ manual has good wiring diagrams. I have used that to rewire a few over the years.

Be aware that nothing on the dash will work correctly if you have it off and you can burn out the gas and temp gauges if you turn the power on to the dash without a ground jumper from the battery neg to the dash. I use a booster cable for this when testing things. The dash needs a good ground, which means the firewall needs a ground strap either from the battery or from the rest of the engine head. A ground to a fender doesn't always work for this.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail in '00, 'New' frame,wires and plumbing in '09. Carter BBD Carbed 4.0 HO in '10.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

There is a basic wiring 101 post by Jeephammer a little ways along the forum with posts today that cover your wiring and diagram. It is a really good thread.

Mike
post #8 of 9 Old 06-04-2014, 04:17 PM
CSP

1974 factory service manual (including wiring diagrams) located here: http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html
post #9 of 9 Old 06-09-2014, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
GaryK1941
1974 CJ5 

Thank you everyone for all of your help with this project, one last thing I will ask is does anyone have any good leads as far as where to get all of the dash components for the least expense? Since the thing burned up, all of the dash components including the various air ducts and switches and backlights and all of that is gone. One other thing, there is a thick yellow wire (10 gauge I believe) that goes from the starter solenoid to the dash. That wire was the one responsible for burning the thing up, what does this wire do? Again, any help or information is very helpful no matter the amount.

Tags
1974 , cj5 , coil terminal , starter solenoid , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in