LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
littleblackjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1959 cj5

Got this thing a few months a ago.

Specifics:
Running F head
- doesnít run long. Once warmed up dies and wonít fire. Going to start with a new condenser and go from there.
- Brakes stop it, probably need adjustment and rebuild
- Trans and tcase feel good
- I pulled the nasty cable off the Koenig on the front and strung a good piece of rope (not permanent) oiled everything and low and behold, the full PTO system works and winch runs
- glass is ďgoodĒ
- Willyís body and Koenig hard top are straight and complete. Doors donít seal great/latch firm.
- electrical everything seems to work, but I havenít been into it enough to see what bubba has done
- really good shape bfgoodrich silverstar tube bias tires
- driver floor and tailgate are shot, but Iíll cut out whatís no good and replace with new panels

Questions:
Is there an overdrive PTO set up that works with a winch pto?
How much is a F-head rebuild good for, I live pretty close to a 55mph highway and this thing will need to climb a pretty decent hill w/o being a safety hazard
Would pulling the f-head and going with a rebuilt 231 odd or even fire rebuild be a better route? Iíd want to keep the T-90/d18/winch pto.

Not going to lift or wheel. Just thinking about having a fun run about thatíll play on mountain roads and motivate down the road pretty well.

As far as paint the Jeep was/is 60yr old Metallic Amber, my wife as a more colorful name for the current color. The windshield is the black that came typically, as I understand. The hard top is a cream inside and out. The body is straight enough to warrant a paint job. Options:
- Go original, tri-color?
- Go with a cleaner paint scheme I saw a Ď62 CJ5 on bring a trailer archives that was more aesthetically pleasing doors/windshield body color etc. thatís close to era specific colors
- Go with a more contemporary scheme, 1995 YJ Sahara moss green/tan top or 2016 JK hydro blue and cream top?

Any ideas, thanks.

'95 YJ
GM 350, SM420, NP231 SYE, Fnt. D60 SOA 4.10, Rr. D60 SOA 4.10 Detroit Locker, Fnt.Sus. N/A. Rr.Sus. XJ Springs, RuffStuff Wayback.
YJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-girlfriend-1327158/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM
TerryHowe

1949 CJ3A 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackjeep View Post
Is there an overdrive PTO set up that works with a winch pto?
Yes, I've seen a PTO that bolts on the back of the Warn OD. I'm not sure if you need special parts for that or if the OD has a similar output as the D18

Quote:
Would pulling the f-head and going with a rebuilt 231 odd or even fire rebuild be a better route? Iíd want to keep the T-90/d18/winch pto.
I would recommend the even fire version since it not only comes with the big cap HEI, but you can fuel inject it if you like. The are nice running engines and easy to maintain.

Quote:
As far as paint the Jeep was/is 60yr old Metallic Amber, my wife as a more colorful name for the current color. The windshield is the black that came typically, as I understand. The hard top is a cream inside and out. The body is straight enough to warrant a paint job. Options...
I would go two color. I always thought the black w/s makes it look like you damaged the original and were too lazy to paint it. It is like having a gray Jeep and everyone things you haven't painted it yet.

The cream or tan I think would be nice for the top depending on the body color.

Terry Howe
'49 Willys CJ-3A
post #3 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 12:43 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, I never liked the back w/s frame either. Paint the jeep all one color and the top a white color.

I had an f-head for a couple of years and 55 mph was a challenge.

Those vacuum wipers made a cool sound when running but you might want to get the electric conversion for those also.

Does your PRO have a front and back takeoff Like this:

Name:  IMG_38961.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  77.6 KB

I would also go with the even fire engine.

We need more pictures !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 01:25 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Which PTO do you have? The one that mounts off of the bottom or off of the back to the tcase? 5.38 gears or 4.88's in the axles? 5.38's are a bit much with a 30 or so inch tire to run 55 for long periods of time with either the f-head or the v-6. most of the v-6's got optioned with 4.88's. The other part of running 55 with a 59 is getting the steering and brakes in good enough shape to do so.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #5 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

When I owned my '63 CJ6 30 years ago with the original F-Head and full metal hard top
I had to press the accelerator pedal to go downhill. No kidding!

The CJ6 was a former Fire Dept vehicle and had maybe 2500 miles on it. I look back
and wish I never sold it. Different times.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 11:27 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

What gear ratio's re you running now?
What's your budget?

Upgrades (IMHO) in order of importance:
Brakes. A dual master cylinder is a must. Either 11" Wagoneer brakes (getting hard to find, but a virtual bolt in) or front disks. I forget when the rears went to self energizing. Be sure you don't have the earlier style.

Saginaw steering upgrade. Either manual or power. You will never get the Ross steering to tighten up enough to be happy.
Inspect the frame around the spring hangers. ECJ frames are known to break in this area.
Wipers. If you want to keep the vacuum units, be sure the vacuum pump on the fuel pump is working or they will stop every time you step on the gas.

Dump the metal roof. Too heavy. It will make the Jeep sway on the mildest of corners. You will notice a huge difference with a soft top.
Bush/rebuild the pedals. They are probably loose and sloppy. Don't forget to inspect the clutch rod and bellcrank for wear.

Drivetrain: V6 (your option) SM series or a T18 and 3.73 gearing. The OD is nice, but they tend to be a bit weak and are getting expensive.
I recommend a 2.5 lift. It will ride better than the blown out stock springs and will give a bit more clearance between the frame and axles.
Ford early Bronco heater box. It will mount on the passenger side and will provide not only heat, but good defrosters as well.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #7 of 9 Old 12-12-2019, 11:37 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The f head is more powerful than the L head but neither can be confused with the engine of a highway vehicle. the old thing will be a dream on back roads and trails. The imprecise steering, the noise, the sluggishness, leaning ito cures etc is all part of it.

You could rip it all apart and make it into a 1970s CJ5 with good steering and acceleration but is that the fate of a very original survivor?
Hurricane4 likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 04:44 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Saginaw steering upgrade. Either manual or power. You will never get the Ross steering to tighten up enough to be happy.

Drivetrain: V6 (your option) SM series or a T18A and 3.73 gearing. The OD is nice, but they tend to be a bit weak and are getting expensive.
My brother did a Saginaw manual steering conversion on his 68 CJ-5 with V-6. Felt like power steering. He had a Koenig PTO winch on his and had to offset the winch and run new shafts for the PTO. Transmission was a T-18 A but still ran the PTO off the transfer case. He had 3.73 gears and it was a nice combination with the V-6 and T-18A (close ratio). As stated, the OD is a weak link. I had one on a CJ-6 that I did a 283 SBC conversion on. The OD made the 5.38 gears tolerable on the hiway but later found that the tips of the planetary gear teeth were bending over. Eventually pulled out the OD and went to 4.27 gears.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-13-2019, 05:30 PM
TerryHowe

1949 CJ3A 

Garage
I have a very low mileage manual Saginaw box I'm going to be selling if you decided to go that route. I pulled it off my '49 and the PO had installed it and I don't think he drove it much.

Terry Howe
'49 Willys CJ-3A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in