0il hole missing on new clevite rod bearings - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-18-2021, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Greg13

0il hole missing on new clevite rod bearings

im rebuilding a 1982 4.2 258 motor to install it in my 1985 cj7. i ordered and recieved clevite main and rod bearings. the mains were perfect and went smooth. i then opened the rod bearing box to use and noticed that the bearings had no hole for oil port coming thru the crank journal. the bearing should have an oil hole ,right? the part number is cb-960A. can anyone tell me what bearings i should order? thank you, greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2021, 09:54 AM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

I experienced this exact same thing about 5 years ago. I called Clevite and was told something like “our engineers decided the holes aren’t needed anymore.”
I definitely wanted the oil holes. That’s how it was originally designed, and I believe there were oil holes in the bearing caps that lined up, and that’s how oil gets to the crankshaft.
I ended up returning them and purchased them from somewhere else, making sure they had the oil holes.
It was several years ago. That’s about all I remember about it. I will check through my emails later and see if I can find any better details.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2021, 10:04 AM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

I looked through my emails. This was in 2014. It looks as though I originally purchased them from Summit racing, and they did not have holes. I do not know where I re-purchased them from to get the holes. I do have a folder of paper receipts somewhere. I’ll look around for it and see if anything is in there.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2021, 03:23 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

I found the receipt. I purchased them with the holes from Advance Auto Parts.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-22-2021, 01:51 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

If there were holes in the conrod bearing caps, I think you'd be losing oil pressure. It's been a while since I had my oil pan off but I don't recall seeing any holes in the rod bearing caps. I have a new set of rod bearings from Sealed Power and none of them have holes in them. Looking at the FSM in the section that addresses rod bearings, the pictures don't show any holes in the bearings.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-22-2021, 02:09 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysbarker View Post
I experienced this exact same thing about 5 years ago. I called Clevite and was told something like ďour engineers decided the holes arenít needed anymore.Ē
I definitely wanted the oil holes. Thatís how it was originally designed, and I believe there were oil holes in the bearing caps that lined up, and thatís how oil gets to the crankshaft.
I ended up returning them and purchased them from somewhere else, making sure they had the oil holes.
It was several years ago. Thatís about all I remember about it. I will check through my emails later and see if I can find any better details.
Actually, oil goes to the crankshaft which is crossdrilled. The cross drilled holes direct oil to the connecting rods.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-22-2021, 11:21 AM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

Good point with the cross holes in the crankshaft.

My original Clevite bearings had holes. CB960P10. The new ones that I purchased in 2014 did not have holes. Clevite remove the holes at some point. I returned them to Summit Racing.

These are the specific bearings that I purchased from advance auto. Sealed power 3310CPA10. I purchased them in person because I wanted to make sure they had holes. They have holes in them.

I could not find a picture of my connecting rods, and do not have any plans to drop my oil pan, but from what I remember my connecting rod caps had oil holes, and they lined up with the holes in the bearings, providing an oil path through the rod cap, through the bearing, to the crankshaft where the bearing ID rides on the crankshaft OD.

A screen capture of the bearing is attached.

A google images search of a 258 connecting rod is also attached, which shows the bearings with a hole in them.

I really wish I had pictures from my rebuild in 2014. I definitely looked, but I just don’t think I have any of the piston rod bearing detail.
Attached Thumbnails
8D17605B-E286-4DE7-88F1-9480EEB1E609_1616433647108.jpg   72F01CB8-3143-4AAA-BCB7-F704ADA3856A_1616433889878.jpg   7DBD8A85-F8EE-48EC-B72C-440ADC020CE5_1616436294890.jpg  
post #8 of 10 Old 03-22-2021, 01:00 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

that hole was to assist oil being sprayed on the camshaft. amc and chrysler got rid of it when they came out with the 4.0 engine. they just never changed for the last couple years of the 258. the aftermarket companies are shifting to one bearing instead of supporting the two.

oldschool
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2021, 03:42 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

that hole was to assist oil being sprayed on the camshaft. amc and chrysler got rid of it when they came out with the 4.0 engine. they just never changed for the last couple years of the 258. the aftermarket companies are shifting to one bearing instead of supporting the two.

oldschool
Yes, they spray through a notch in the joint between the rod and cap. andysbarker's dsecription of a hole in the rod cap led me to think that there should be a hole in the bottom of the rod cap which there isn't.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2021, 05:16 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

I apologize for the confusion! I honestly didn’t remember exactly where the hole was. I just remembered having the same issue with hole vs no hole in the bearing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in