Throttle Stuck wide open-2016 Renegade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-30-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
mharris1099

Throttle Stuck wide open-2016 Renegade

Two weeks ago, I had just left town and was headed onto the highway. I turned on my cruise control, and with a wide open road, pushed the accelerator to the floor and set the cruise to 69. I left my foot off the gas and my Renegade continued to accelerate. I turned off the cruise with my thumb, but nothing changed. I then stomped on the brakes and still the engine continued to rev. By this time I was doing 80. I also noticed a yellow warning message on the dash that said "throttle needs serviced". So I put my Renegade in neutral, drifted off the side of the road and then turned off the engine. When I restarted the Renegade, the throttle was still engaged and the engine started to rev. So I turned it off again. On the third or fourth restart, it started correctly and I was able to drive it slowly to a cross road and parked there and waited for the tow truck to take it to the dealership.

The dealership has been unable to duplicate this problem and I have contacted Jeep Customer Care. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this occur.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-07-2017, 01:44 AM
mrsig

2007 JK Wrangler 

No problems after 2 years so far.

07 JKU To see mods & my Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM
zaitcev
2010 JK Wrangler 

A stuck throttle never happened to me, but I heard of it on different cars. Mustang with v6, for example Good for you for taking it under control by stopping immediately. Some people dragged the brakes half-heartedly until they overheated the brakes and lost braking, then crashed.

Often the reason it sticks is the build-up of crud coming down with ethanol in gas. If it happened to me, I would take the throttle body apart and clean it.

I had to take off the throttle body on wife's car (not a Renegade). Its actuator is so powerful, that it is cooled by engine coolant. Those things are more sophisticated than commonly assumed and they can go bad. Obviously, cleaning isn't going to help, if so.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-20-2017, 06:36 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
A stuck throttle never happened to me, but I heard of it on different cars. Mustang with v6, for example Good for you for taking it under control by stopping immediately. Some people dragged the brakes half-heartedly until they overheated the brakes and lost braking, then crashed.
This is true. The brakes will stop any car if you hit them like you mean it. DO NOT try to gently slow it down.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #5 of 8 Old 12-16-2019, 08:29 AM
madcowinut

Happened to me this morning - 2017 renegade. I was pushing breaks fighting against acceleration - no cruise control involved. Got the same message -"Service throttle control" the red lighting bolt stayed. Scared the #@%[email protected] out of me. Luckily there was an off ramp right next to me when this occurred. I felt like I had no acceleration - but at 45 or so the jeep starting accelerating again - coming up a hill to a service station. This vehicle has had more odd computer problems. Had everything dealership services 6 months ago - asked for upgrade to fix bulb missing bug.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-16-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
mharris1099

Fixed!

My Renegade had also had a lot of little electrical issues, in addition to the accelerating sticking that day. It would say that the left turn signal, then the right turn signal, then the brake light, then the headlights, just rotate through about every light on the vehicle, was out; when in fact everything was operating as it should be. We would have to stop, turn the vehicle off and then restart it, and everything would be okay.

It took months and I had to go to the General Manager with my concerns, but I finally got the dealership to replace the throttle body and the PCM and I have not had any further issues. Good luck!
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2020, 08:21 PM
julierobards58

Today - Jan. 11, 2020 - my 2015 Jeep Renegade continued to accelerate when I pulled out from a side road onto the main road....It continued to accelerate to my alarm....past 80 when I finally got it pulled over and stopped.....I could have plowed the car in front of me off the road.....The engine continued to rev fully every time I tried to start it. A mechanic from a local garage stopped to help....he was looking under the hood when I started it again and it started normally.....after waiting at least 5 minutes. I was shaken to the core....I live in the Adirondacks and the roads were icy....I could have been seriously hurt or the car in front of me.....I have seen now that others are having similar problems.....there should be a recall or something.....it is not a unique situation......
post #8 of 8 Old 01-14-2020, 08:14 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There was a recall on other models a year or two ago, something about a CAN bus issue blocking changes in throttle. The software change defaults to throttle off when there is an issue.... kind of like a dead man switch. May or not be relevant.

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in